Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #1  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Default Do you work out in addition to counting calories?

I mean personally, how many of you also have a workout plan? Is your plan a mild plan or is it intensive?

I work and attend school so since school has started back I havent been making it to the gym as much as I'd like. This week Im going to try to get at least three hours in. FOr those of you that do workout do you feel that you are losing faster, and for those that arent working out how are you doing overall with losing. I know that this answer will vary from person to person but I just want to see how everyone else is doing with a particular plan/schedule.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #2  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I most definitely work out, at least 4-5 days a week. I work and go to school at night but still manage to find the time to squeeze in 45 min on my treadmill. I do a run/walk combo, I walk for 5 min. to get my heart rate up then I run for 15 min, then walk for 5 then run again for another 15 then cool down for 5 min. After that I have a weight bench that I use and I do crunches. Sometimes I'm in the basement until midnight getting my workout in but for me this helps tremendously with the weight loss and it makes me feel good. It's my ME time, after I put the kids and my husband to bed (haha), I get my ipod and go at it.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I do both. I work out 90 minutes 5 days a week.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #4  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

I definately make time for working out. I'm a single mom, work 70 hours a week, go to school part time and still find a little time for my body. I want to lose this weight right, and that means in the end I'm not going to be "skinny fat" I'm going to be toned. I usually fit in at least 1 hour, four days a week, of course, it costs me a lot, in child care since I pay for an after school program that my son attends at the gym I have a membership at. Ultimatly though, I know the money I pay out is worth the health benefits, and I know the time I spend at the gym benefits me just as much as the job and the education. I make it a priority and I've given up a lot to do it, like watching tv and hanging out with girlfriends (although, if they'd just work out with me we could still hang out...lol).
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I track my calorie deficit and the only way I can average 1000 cals in the hole daily is to exercise as personally I find that easier than to eat in a really low calorie range. I average 1590 cals eaten (range 1200-1900) and exercise @6 hours/week.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #6  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango30 View Post
I definately make time for working out. I'm a single mom, work 70 hours a week, go to school part time and still find a little time for my body. I want to lose this weight right, and that means in the end I'm not going to be "skinny fat" I'm going to be toned. I usually fit in at least 1 hour, four days a week, of course, it costs me a lot, in child care since I pay for an after school program that my son attends at the gym I have a membership at. Ultimatly though, I know the money I pay out is worth the health benefits, and I know the time I spend at the gym benefits me just as much as the job and the education. I make it a priority and I've given up a lot to do it, like watching tv and hanging out with girlfriends (although, if they'd just work out with me we could still hang out...lol).

I am also a single mom. I dont work out at home I have a gym membership, the good thing is that the daycare in also included in the membership. Ive just been having a hard time finding balance I guess. My schedule is very hectic and I spend a lot of time studying(more than I thought I would) I think this week Ill do ok with going to the gym but its very challenging for me since school started back up. My hat goes off to you I know how it feels. Its not impossible its just a challenge.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #7  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

I really found it hard to strike the balance at first, but then I decided I was either going to do it or I was going to be miserable with my body. I find sneaky ways to get things done with homework. My classes are all on nutrition though, which is very interesting for me right now so I've acutally found it hard to put the homework down at times.

There is this one lady who is always asking me for my "trick" for losing weight and I have to keep telling her there is no trick you either commit to do it or you don't. Then she tells me she doesn't have the time, and I have to stop myself from telling her she does, she just choses not to make the coucious decision to make it her priority.

What is an hour a day to a busy person? Thats the question I keep in mind. What is an hour to me, and if I can spend one hour doing something productive for myself, what is the first thing on that list that I am going to do?
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #8  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

I work out -- but I'll be honest, I work out a lot less than I have in the past and I'm still losing. I'm sure the time will come when I need to kick it up a notch, but for now I am losing well with nothing more than a 25 minute Shred workout 5-6 mornings a week (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred), a 2.5 mile brisk walk with my dogs 5-6 mornings a week, a 30 minute lunch time walk 5 days a week, and horseback riding about 5 times a week.

One of the problems I had previously when starting a weight loss journey was jumping in too aggressively with working out and ending up totally burning myself out. Like I said, I'm sure that I'll have to reevaluate my workouts as I continue to get closer to my goal and my loss slows down, but for now I'm seeing great results with simple low-impact walking for the most part. (I like the Shred for toning and am seeing good results in my arms and shoulders as I lose body fat.)

Last edited by Rebound; 10-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #9  
A New Woman

S/C/G: 330/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

This is my first time counting calories and working out. Earlier this year i lost 20 pounds in 2 months by just cutting my calories down, so I'm hopeful for what could happen with me working out between 40 and 50 minutes 3 times a week in addition to calorie counting.
HeyHeyGabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/152/135

I am trying really hard to do both...I do have the time but I am very lazy. And 39 years of being lazy is hard to change! I am trying to create daily caloric deficits to lose "those last 10 pounds" or 15 in my case, so exercise is the only way to do that for me as I really can't go any lower in my calorie intake. My goal is to do 2-3 days of cardio, 2-3 days of calisthenics.

Last edited by WendyR; 10-12-2009 at 04:42 PM.
WendyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I lost 20 pounds + without exercise. For me, it has SO much more to do with what I am eating than it does exercise. I have heard many people say it was 80% diet, 20% exercise. I would say that for me it is probably 90% diet and 10% exercise. That being said, I think movement and exercise is absolutely KEY to overall wellbeing and good health. Can you lose weight without exercise? Absolutely. Is it ideal? Absolutely not. For me though, just moving towards a healthier life was good--regardless of the particulars.

By the way, after walking for several months, (after taking off my initial 20 pounds) I became a daily runner about a year ago.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-12-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #12  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I am a mild WO person. I walk the dog eeryday for at least an hour and then I try to get on the eliptical for another hour. I try to move all day, but I am not a lifter or a runner. I just bought 24 (used) and have been watching that while on the eliptical and if not walking with friends, i listen to books.

Right now work is slow(ok none at all) so I have the time and i like to walk...
I average 2 hours a day and my Bodybugg averages 17000 steps a day...
That being said, I am sticking to my program of calorie counting and moving, but the scale is not moving much, I just hope I will see a magic 5 soon. I seem to lose in spurts along with my cycle.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #13  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

I workout 5/6 days a week for an hour a day & I count cals. Seems to be working...
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #14  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

I wo 4-5x/week plus about 1 hour of lifestyle walking about 5 days/week.

I do 2-3 group weight classes (whole body bar + dumbbell wo) and my own cardio which is some variation of: stair mill, running about 3 mi, intervals ( faster run/walk) and/or sometimes high incline walking.

And I use BB to aid in calorie counting.

My losses have slowed a lot recently but it is partly due to the fact that I do not want to cut calories down much more than this (ie: I eat too much)! I'd rather be happy and have this last 25 take longer than deprive myself to get to goal and then rebound, kwim?

(But I kinda wish I could have the calorie intake discipline I see many others here seem to have)...
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Working out is definitely part of my plan. I get up at 4:30am everyday (except weekends) to workout for about 40-50 minutes. For me, working out sets the tone for my whole health. When I work out, I usually feel better about myself, eat better, etc. When I skip workouts I tend to fall back into bad habits. I work out 6-7 times a week and even if I skip a day, I usually try to do something active like hiking, biking, etc.

But as you say, I think it's very personal. Having gained and lost weight many times, I've come to the conclusion that diet matters more than exercise. So, it's certainly possible to lose weight with just controlling the amount of calories you eat. Having said that, there are numerous benefits to exercise for me even beyond just helping me keep muscle tone and lose weight faster.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote