Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #16  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
The diets people go on for WLS are medically supervised--that is the one main difference.

Jay

I surely hope that everyone who embarks on a weight loss journey checks with their doctor. No one reading here should just start a diet without a consultation with their physician. 2000 calories a day or 1200 calories a day, they all should talk with a doctor, don't you think?

Another thing I would like to comment on is the "side effects" I've been seeing people mention about a lower calorie diet, (1200). I admit that for the first month of my 1200 calorie diet I was a MESS. I was tired, shaky, nervous, didn't feel very well at all. Then walla, I woke up one day and it was like a fog lifted and I felt great. Talked to my doctor about it and he mentioned all of the things, addictive substances, I gave up. Sugar, booze, white bread, chocolate...(and nicotine). My body was not starving, I had tons of fat to sustain life for months, I was having withdrawl. Anyone who starts a lower calorie diet will inevitably be giving up something that they were used to eating a lot of. Greatly reducing the amount of any mood altering chemical, (whether it is food or a drug) is going to mess with your head for awhile. I think many people start feeling weird, and automatically assume they are starving or something when actually their brain is screaming for more junk.

But, hey, I could be all wrong. I just speak from my own personal experience. I wanted the weight off as quickly, safely and healthfully as possible. When I reached my original goal of 158 I raised my calorie level to approx. 1600/day average, I didn't start gaining, I actually continued to lose, even after a 175 pound loss. I'm now at 149 and averaging around 1800 (as of lately) and still losing slowly...so it doesn't appear that my metabolism is screwed up at all, quite the opposite. I sleep less than ever before, (8 hours, no more no less - was sleeping 10-12 prior to weight loss). I have more energy, I have more stamina, I have more hair, I have stronger nails, I get sick less, and my skin has never been so clear. All of these changes came about during the time I was following what some people would consider a starvation diet. (1200/4 days 1500/3 days a week). But again I stress the major importance of speaking with your physician before starting any weight loss program. All diets should be medically supervised.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #17  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I just go with this old formula I was given:

Weight x 10 = # of calories to maintain.

You are 284 so that's 2840 calories a day to maintain.

Now eating 75% of that is usually enough to get you to lose weight- so that's 2840 x .75 = 2130 calories.

This was given to me by my old trainer and it worked for quite some time (I do south beach now). Every 10 lbs you re-calculate for your new weight.

I wouldn't drastically lower your calories to 1200- you'll be hungry, lethargic, and so on. If you don't want to eat 2130 calories a day for now- I suggest going no lower than 1800 at the current moment.

Good luck.
This is a little low for me in maintenance. I'm at 122 now, so that would be 1220 to maintain. I lose at that weight, I actually maintain at 1900-2000.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #18  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't think the formula takes into account how active you are and I think it's really meant for people who are overweight- not people who are at their target/healthy weights.

I know for me, I started at 235 and found I was eating 2300-2500 calories a day- so it made sense I was at 235 (I was also NOT active at all). Now I am still losing weight and at 211 I eat 1500ish calories a day, like this formula says and I'm still losing.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

For me, I've found that if I only eat 1200 calories a day I get headaches, become lethargic and tend to cave into cravings within a few days because of the "I deserve this treat because I've been so good" and then after 2-3 of those treats, it's the "I've blown it now I might as well eat the rest" mentality.

Sarah in MD

Last edited by sarahyu; 09-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #20  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Lori Bell, I think that "medically supervised" in regard to VLC diets and WLS diets means something more elaborate than checking with one's doctor before starting. I think it includes monthly doctor visits along with nutritional counseling and classes. But it varies. I'm pretty sure supplements of various kinds are involved. Some medically supervised programs also include weight-loss drugs.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
This is a little low for me in maintenance. I'm at 122 now, so that would be 1220 to maintain. I lose at that weight, I actually maintain at 1900-2000.
That's awesome I can't wait to get down to the 120's one day and still eat more than I do now!!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #22  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

Also:
If you start out too low you have now room to decrease as your weight goes down AND you might stop sooner as you will have to be so strict for so long whereas i you start out higher you will have space for more treats (or just more volume of healthy food) to make the adjustment easier.

In any case: best of luck to you!
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #23  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

I guess you had already said what I said RealCdn, sorry!
I *had* read the posts but somehow didn't retain the info I guess, oops.
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Okay jumping in late but jumping in anyway. It really depends on the situation and on you. I started out at 1500 calories a day and for the first 2 months I lost a lot of weight. Then I hit a plateau for a month religiously sticking to 1500 calories. Then I got disillusioned and got sloppy and gained back like 5 lbs. Then I calculated my BMR as 1900 started eating that and after a week of that I started losing again. But that was me.

As far as WLS quite a few of the people at my work have had it and had consequences from it. One girl lost most of her hair even with suppliments. A few more had it a long time ago and gained it all back and then some even though one of them says she still can't eat the amount of food she previously did.

And as far as doctor supervised make sure you're doctor's not an idiot. I would recommend going to a nutritionalist if you're worried because my doctor gave me a 1,000 calorie a day diet with 0 fats and told me to come back in a year and the same doctor put my parents on a diet where 3 days a week they're only allowed to eat spinach and jello. :P
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #25  
Really gonna do it!!

S/C/G: 215/209/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misora View Post
And as far as doctor supervised make sure you're doctor's not an idiot.
You know, I have encountered this...I feel like sometimes, some doctors just give a "one size fits all" response in relation to weight loss...and we all know that's just not right!!

That being said, I have an appointment to see mine tomorrow as I embark on this diet...we'll see how she does!!
DoubleDomer is offline   Reply With Quote