Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #16  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

Like mandalinn82 I use the online tool FitDay and it seems to be working great. I couldn't do it if I recorded it all manually (but that's me). It really has helped me understand how many calories are in things - some things like meatballs OMG were a shock in a bad way. But other things turned out to be pretty low in calories so I've rather enjoyed my dieting so far. I even can leave in wine on the weekend! I don't weigh my food because I don't have a scale. So some things are guesstimating. My cup and half cup measure and measuring spoons are my most indispensable tools. Esp when it comes to oil. I was so happy to see most things only need a teaspoon and that's not bad at all! Also I generally have the same breakfast and we have our favorite dinners and such that we rotate around through the month. I have those set up in my custom food list so it only takes a few minutes to add them into my day's calories. I spend more time on here GRIN than I do counting my calories. What's great about it is really educating me to look at labels and portion sizes. And when I'm in control of intake and outgo (exercise) I know that even when I "feel fat" it's okay. I'm doing everything right even when my emotions are saying I'm not. The numbers won't lie to me as long as I'm faithful to them!
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #17  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Because I eat so many things again and again--almonds, salmon, olive, olive oil, veggies and fruit, etc. I know almost exactly what a portion looks like and it's accompanying calories. In the beginning I measured and counted everything but now I know what things are supposed to be or pretty close to anyway. Every now and again when I go to make something I will stop and measure just to be sure I am spot on. If I was in a tough spot and felt like I was at a plateau I would be more mindful of measuring and counting again.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #18  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I do weigh / measure most things, but not all. It's easy really. I slice up strawberries into the measuring cup first, then dump them on the plate. My scale is out on the counter all the time, so it's easy to weigh out meat onto my dinner plate. I have my own little cheat sheet of the things I eat regularly in calories per ounce, so I just take what amount I feel like, do a quick calculation and jot it down. I tend to eyeball lower calorie density foods, like veggies and lettuce, and weigh/measure higher calorie things. It just becomes part of what you do, and no big deal.

I also monitor what the scale is doing. If the number is stable, then I tend to be rather relaxed about the measuring and eyeball more (although I still write every thing down) because it's working fine as it is. BUT, if the scale starts inching up, then I get strict again, because something has gotten out of balance and I need to make sure I understand what I'm getting so I can make adjustments as needed.

I'd FAR rather weigh and measure and keep a food diary for the rest of my life than regain the weight I've lost.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #19  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I use Lose It app on my iPod Touch. I try to put everything in that goes in my mouth. Sometimes a package might say something different then Lose It says although it is usually within a few calories...I am anal about alot of things, but a few calories here or there doesn't drive me crazy because I am burning plenty.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote