Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Default Memorial Day Burger

For memorial day I really have a taste for a good BBQ Cheddar Burger with onion rings. The problem is that I don't know where to go without going overboard. I'd be happy with a 1/3 pound burger to conserve on calories but most places server 1/2lb 1000+ calorie burgers. I live in Northern, VA but I don't care for 5 Guys plus there fries have so many calories and aren't that great. Not a Red Robin fan either. I've been thinking of two local places but they don't post nutrtion info and they are 1/2lb burgers. I also really like Ruby Tuesday's Smokehouse burger (minus bacon and mayo) but that has over 1000 calories. Any suggestions?
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If it were me, I'd try to make it at home where I could control the ingredients. For example, the bun alone is loaded with calories, so I might substitute a lower-carb version or just skip the bun. You can buy frozen onion rings that are easy to prepare at home if you've just gotta have 'em. And you could buy 90% lean burger to save some fat cals.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #3  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I am making low fat cheese burgers tomorrow. I am using a mixture of 96% lean beef and groud turkey breast, using alpine lace or jarlsberg lite cheese and grilling the tomato slices for added yum. Whole Grain toast instead of buns too.

If you can get chipotle (smoked jalapeņo) you can blend it with a little V8 and all natural tomato paste for amazing BBQ sauce. It also involves some garlic, dried onion and a few other things. Don't have my recipe handy but I'll hunt it down if interested.

Last edited by prinny; 05-24-2009 at 08:01 AM.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #4  
banned

I'd prefer to go out, my burgers are ok but not great plus I can't make onion rings. I'd also just like to be out for memorial day.

Thanks for the great tips though!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well I can say that burger and onion rings will probably cost you around 2000 calories. You could make one at home for half of that, even if you ordered the onion rings to go from some place.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

This is one of those moments when you have to decide what's most important and what do you really want.

If you want the burger and onion rings, maybe you can have 1/2 of a burger and take the other 1/2 home, or leave it at the restaurant, or split it with someone else. Have a few onion rings. Then have something low cal for the rest of the day, like fresh fruit and a huge veggie salad. You could also try substituting with a turkey burger, or chicken burger. I'm of the opinion of homemade too, but if that's not an option for you, look at other options.

If you're not sure the burger is worth the calories, then don't have it. My own personal experience, when I really want something and I go days craving the same thing, I end up having it. I just try to plan the rest of my day to compensate.

Last edited by friendlykat4u; 05-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #7  
banned

I think you all are misunderstanding me. I want to know a good burger place that might offer smaller sizes or healthier burgers. I realize I'm not going to get away cheaply either way.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sorry--can't help you then! Most burgers like that at chain restaurants are 1000 cals or more. For example, Chili's has a nice one for 1600+. That's just the burger, not counting onion rings, fries, etc.

Enjoy yourself!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #9  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Unfortunately you are not going to have much luck find a good restaurant burger with less than 1000 calories. You have a couple options. Calling around and finding out what the nutritional information is, on the places you cant find it. Or finding a way to make it yourself. You could also get a burger and cut it in half but you are still looking at 500 calories for just half of a burger. Tack on onion rings and you back up pretty high.

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to a church memorial day pot luck, grill out. I am bringing a couple of my own hot dogs, because I know the calorie count, and asking the grill master to grill them or me, I am bringing a side dish that I know I can eat, and bringing drinks I know I can drink. It maybe a bit of a sacrifice, and would be a lot easier to eat all the goodies that I love so much. But I made my decision, you have decide what is more important to you.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 350/ticker/164

Height: 5'8

if any restaurant around you has sliders that could cut the calories for you, just eat 2 of them. I think applebees has started carrying them, I bet you could get them w/ bbq and cheddar. I don't know if they have onion rings though.
HeidiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote