Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #1  
zay

Default I've had it with diets....

please guide me. I know every diet is based on calories in/out and that is how we lose weight. I know about the added benefit of exercise. I know that eating lower glycemic and not allowing myself sweets and excess starches works for me. I want to count calories, but I find that the counting EXCHANGES would be an easier, more organized way to do it. Does anyone have an exchange diet that is considered lower carb? I mean like around 100 carbs and about 1300-1500 calories per day? I remember the old weight watchers being lower carb, like 2 or 3 breads a day....before the pyramid came along. I'm in Michigan and we also had a group called Ellie's Weigh that was similar. Does anyone have information like this? I think Medical Weight loss and the Diet Center was similar too. I've done a search and cannot find anything. Anyone? Thanks!
zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Did you look at 3FC home page ? Many diets are reviewed.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Hillbilly Housewife web site has three levels of carbohydrate and 4 calorie levels. The High Protein plan has 2 bread servings at the 1200 calorie level, and 3 servings at both the 1400 and 1500 level.

Here is the link to the food plans

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.htm

Here is the link to a bunch of other exchange information

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.co...gonabudget.htm

I have insulin resistance and also don't do well on high glycemic foods. I like the exchange plans because they're flexible and simple. I did want a little more flexibility though, so I did make a bit of an adaptation for myself. My "basic" plan is the 1500 calorie High Protein plan from the hillbilly housewife website, but I have about 500 calories in "flex" exchanges (like the old WW plans), so since they have similar calories (but not carb levels) I have 6 exchanges that I can spend on fruit, dairy, starch, or protein. So some days my carbohydrate count is a bit higher than others, and my calorie range is from 1500 to about 2000.

Tops.org (under the tools section) also has some printable exchange information that is great.

And there's a book "Exchanges for All Occasions," that I bought used on amazon that I like. There are several editions, and I believe I have the second to newest. I'd like to get the newest edition because it is "pocket sized" and would be easier to carry with me (I do fine with the one I have but it's a bit large at about 9.5 by 6 inches).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

I liked WW's old exchange program better than the points, although I barely remember the old system. My mom used a diabetic exchange diet given to her by her physician and it was basically the same plan as WW, Richard Simmons, USDA exchanges, etc., very sensible.

Thanks for the link, Kaploids.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oooh..I love Hillbilly Housewife! I didn't know anyone went there but me!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #6  
zay

Thank you everyone for your responses.....especially Kaplod! I really like the Hillybilly site. Thanks again. I can figure something out from this info.
zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

how does this exchange thing work? i saw the list on Hillbilly house wife, but i dont get it
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Oh wow, I have to say, these plans look awesome! I love the idea of exchanges, I've often sort of sussed out plans like this for myself so now to see it infront of me all sorted makes it great! Bookmarked!
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote