Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: CW 158 GW 125 Ideal 120

Height: 5'4

Default Switching from Atkins to calorie counting

hey there have a general question out there.. a friend of mine has lost a lot of weight on atkins around 40 pounds and now she is thinking of switching to counting calories. Has anyone done that and did they gain weight or was it a smooth transitions..
negrita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

I did atkins and lost about 25-30lbs in one month. Sadly, I couldn't continue eating that way and decided to end my atkins diet. Because I'm off Atkins, I've gained 20 pounds back. So now I'm 5lbs lighter then before I started Atkins. Its disappointing because you get this high because you lose so much weight on Atkins, but once you're off you tend to gain a majority of it back and its depressing.

Besides gaining the weight back, it took me a few days to get used to calories again and not carbs. So I feel like I'm starting over again, but hopefully this time I will lose the weight and keep it off in a way I can live for the rest of my life! =)
kireos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I did Atkins and was successful , but thought was a nuisance keeping track of carb grams. I switched to counting calories, I did not gain weight and found it to be much easier to follow.
I am in maintenance, now and still count calories.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #4  

kireos sorry to hear about the weight gain back. I've seen people lose a lot on atkins and then gain it back, but if they went out on eating binges and forget to keep up with healthly eating habits that would happen with any diet. But bargoo did switch to calorie counting and didn't gain any weight.. but I do agree with you on maintaining a diet that you can do for life. you will lose the weight hang in there

Bargoo, when you switch to calorie counting bargoo which stage were you in with atkins and how long were you on atkins and how much did you lose. I was thinking of doing atkins for 3 weeks then switch to back calorie counting
Old 12-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I think if she does a healthy calorie counting woe she'll be fine.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Glad someone started this thread this is where I am also, have been off and on Atkins and although watching the carbs have helped me especially with clear skin and making my asthma go away I am so tempted in the calorie counting WOE.
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-boogie View Post
Glad someone started this thread this is where I am also, have been off and on Atkins and although watching the carbs have helped me especially with clear skin and making my asthma go away I am so tempted in the calorie counting WOE.
Starting on Dec 26, I am going to try an Atkin-ish type of diet combined with calorie counting. I tend to feel better when I have protein foods like eggs, chicken, beef and fish, salads and low GI vegetables. Also now and then, while still keeping my carbs on the low side, I can allow myself a small sweet potato or some berries (or other fruit).......and I don't eat dairy often but now and then I do want some yogurt or cottage cheese. Heck, I might even want a peice of dark chocolate once in a while. The health food store near me sells the most delicious dark chocolate in small individual peices so I can get some without having to deal with the rest of the bar.

I just can't do the Atkins diet as written by Dr. Atkins any longer. The whole 'eat as much as you want' concept just causes me to binge and I find restricting my calories to a normal level for a woman of 5'3" tall keeps me from doing that....and I *hate* giving up foods that I enjoy.

Heck...I even want a flippin' carrot or some green peas once in a while. On Atkins I had to give them up.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 12-25-2008 at 02:06 AM.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/145/110

Height: 4 ft 11

Smile re

I did Atkins and although I lost a lot of weight, I gained it back pretty easily due to deprivation. Calorie counting and tracking my cals on paper has been the easiest because I feel like I can eatin anything I want as long as it's i smaller portions.
kari1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari1980 View Post
I feel like I can eat anything I want as long as it's in smaller portions.
Exactly!! I hated that feeling of deprivation after being on Atkins for over a year. At least now I can have some starchy foods when and if I want them in smaller portions as you said and not have to worry if there are a few peices of shaved carrot in my salad.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #10  

agree with you both. when you start to deprive yourself eventually you will binge and consdiering I had bulmina and struggle with it from time to time, it can lead to serious binging.. eating smaller portions amd counting calories I think is a safe long term plan. for some it's maybe what works for them but I couldn't do it for a long period of time, I think I'd be ready to kill someone over an apple or piece of bread after awhile wow you did it for over a year.. how much did you lose
Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #11  

Only 45 pounds. I gained it all back and more.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #12  

wow that's must be frustrating but at least you are back on track and ready to lose weight and what's best for you.. I'm not knocking atkins but you have to choose a lifestyle that you can stick to.. hang in there we will all get there
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 147.5/152.5/135

Height: 5'6

Default low carb vs counting calories

Hi All,
Ok this is what I am doing as well and
was a long time low carber
I weigh 151 UGH slowly crawling back up
so counting calories is the route I am going to take
anyone looking for a buddy ...I am here

Let's all start the New Year out Healthy !!
Melinda4952

Last edited by melinda4952; 12-27-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: mistakes ....
melinda4952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #14  

hey there melinda as you see I have 31 pounds to lose ot get to my ideal weight of 127.. I'm doing low carb with a mix of counting calories but I'm focused on counting my calories that is the main focus and just watching the carbs.. we can be diet buddies if you like my goal is to lose 2 pounds a week 3 maybe pushing it so I'm looking at 4 months to be down to my ideal weight..
Old 12-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I don't do a DIET plan. But, I am aware of carbs and when I eat them, will shoot for whole grains. So, I'm a calorie counter first and foremost and I try to stick with a lower carb/good carb plan.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote