Old 12-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
It *is* possible to overeat fruit and veg.
Which is what I did last night. I ate a TON of butternut squash and apples. Not pretty. And then somehow I managed to do it again today. Even uglier.

Oh and then there's the time I overdid it on cherries. Another time on grapes. And then there was this one time when I went crazy with the frozen banana slices. Oh and then there was another time on.........

So, ummm, yeah - it's possible. Vetty, vetty possible.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 12-20-2008 at 06:02 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Uhuh.

We won't talk about the time that I ate an entire quart of strawberries by myself. I think that's like .. 350 calories just in strawberries.

But they were really good strawberries.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #18  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Yup, every bite counts. Again, if comparing, more so with fruits than veggies. But they all count. Yup.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #19  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

LOL, I ate two qts. of strawberries in one night. I went to sleep and woke up the following morning with lips swelled like balloons! Pitiful!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I count my fruit, but I eyeball my veggies. If I am eating a salad, I count it up in my head...estimating the veggie content calorie-wise.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #21  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use an exchange plan, and everything is limited except vegetables. So, in a sense I do not count them, but I record them anyway.

Much as rockinrobin has reported, I've had weight loss stalls from eating too many fruit servings on many occasions, but the more vegetable servings I eat, the better I seem to do, so not counting them (or rather not limiting them) seems to do more good than harm for me. Probably because the more veggies I eat, the less likely I am to go off my plan with other higher calorie foods.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to overeat vegetables, but if you're going to be sloppy anywhere in your counting, there's probably less harm in doing so with the lower calorie veggies, especially if you eat them raw. I do consider some veggies more free than others. I'm more careful with beets and carrots and the higher calorie veggies, because the calories add up FAST. I'm cautious with cooked veggies for the same reason, but lettuce and many raw veggies I don't measure or worry too much about limiting. Some folks consider it a slippery sloap to count some and not others, but I think the scale really tells you if you can afford to do this or not. If not counting veggies encourages you to eat more of them, and you're seeing good results on the scale, then I think it's a good thing.

During the weeks I don't lose, I usually can trace the lack of loss to being careless with my plan - either not counting - or exceeding my alottment of non-veggie exchanges. Even when I've eaten double or triple my veggie minimum, it seems more likely to have aided my weight loss than stalled it - but then again I have a lot of weight to lose. When I am closer to my goal weight, this may no longer be true and I may have to be more careful with my veggies. In fact, I think it's inevitable that the closer to goal I get, the more fastidious, I will have to be.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-20-2008 at 08:05 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If I eat it I count it, no matter what it is. I use The Calorie King Fat and Carbohydrate Counter. A great book, I wouldn't be without it. There are also many other sources of calorie counts on the internet.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #23  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I can easily eat a pound of strawberries in one sitting. And have done so quite often
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #24  
could be so pretty

S/C/G: 325/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Mmmm, strawberries. One of the few fruits allowed to me on the Atkins diet a did a few years back. So yes, I almost ate a whole quart to myself one day. (A friend filched the rest of them.) Plus they're just sooo very good.

As to the counting the veggies & fruits - of course count them! I agree with eyeballing the veggies - especially the non-starchy vegetables like celery and lettuce and broccoli - and counting the fruit more closely. There's just more sugar and less other stuff to get in the way of the absorption of that sugar into your body in fruit than there is in a vegetable. (I am not counting potatoes here. There should be a very special class for veggies like potatoes. One that says "eat at your own risk!")
Kalilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #25  

Height: 5'7

I count every bite lick or taste that goes into my mouth be that fruit or veggies. pretty much everything has calories.. so yo uhave to count them.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeep View Post
Its right that if you are on a diet then you can have low calorie fruits and vegetables as much as you want and that'll add up to minimum amount of calorie to your system
As much as you want????? Hmmmm. This most absolutely, positively never works for *me*. Never in a million years. You've never met me, and there are times that "as much as I want" is much more then the "average" person wants, and therefore, having as "much as I want" is not conducive to weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Cause' there are time when I apparently want a real LOT . I need limits. Set ones. Something to put the breaks on, which is why I count calories in the first place. That's all there is to it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote