Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Plan gives dieters day off each week... HUH?!

Ok, so I just read this article on TheBostonChannel.com, my local news station website.... This guy that came up with diet can't be serious, can he? I just don't see how allowing yourself to "cheat" for a WHOLE DAY each week can possibly be a good way to lose weight... I guess if your over-all deficit is achieved over the coarst of a week, you will lose weight. But for me, allowing myself a whole day each week to cheat just spells disaster! I find that when I get off plan just a little, I want to run right back to my old habits... What do you guys think of this?

Carol Bardelli was excited after trying the Cheat To Lose Diet. She finally got rid of those last 10 pounds she wanted to shed.

"And it was body fat and not lean mass, according to my bio-impedance scale ... as everyone knows, losing the last 10 pounds is the hardest part of losing weight," the 49-year-old says.

Joel Marion, a fitness expert and Body-for-Life champion, created the Cheat To Lose Diet. He says the diet's principle is not to starve the body and to work with the body's natural feedback system, including an anti-starvation hormone called leptin.

The scheme differs from others because it allows people to eat whatever they want one day a week while following a plan that includes the right balance of nutritional foods the rest of the time.

"It's really the first diet that is specifically designed to work with your body, not against it," Marion says.

The diet's three phases include priming yourself for the daily meal plan, introducing "cheating" and then maintaining the plan as a lifestyle.

Diet During Holidays

Marion says his diet can even work during big-temptation times, such as the holidays.

"The holiday season is a time where we have many social engagements centered around food," he says. "Fortunately, with the Cheat to Lose Diet, you can plan your cheat days around these times, allowing you to actually lose fat during the holidays."

Bardelli, who is a certified sports nutritionist, says she liked that the diet allowed a cheat day.

She did experience a lull in energy when starting the diet, however.

"I wasn't exactly thrilled with less energy on the first phase's weeklong low-carb program, but I survived just fine," she says.

Bardelli says that she liked the diet so much that she may have to repeat it after the holidays are over.

"And if my usual response to the holidays happens, I'll be back on the Cheat To Lose Diet on Jan. 2," she says.

Cheating On, Off

Lee Keren, clinical director of the Structure House, a residential weight-loss program in Durham, N.C., says that not everyone has the ability to turn the mechanism to cheat on and off.

"Each person has to create a program based on who they really are," Keren says. "It's not a one-size-fits-all." He adds that most people are better off with a healthy meal plan with a snack or two.

Keren says people are more likely to stick with a weight loss plan if they keep a food diary that also details exercise. He says it is also important to be weighed every day. This can help make adjustments in diet and exercise.

"People can ask, 'How can I make tomorrow better?'" he says.

Additionally, it is often necessary to make more changes to one's life, because food may serve as entertainment or comfort.

"If your days continue to be empty and lonely, the lifestyle needs to be changed," he says to address the psychological factor.

Keren adds that it may be easy for people to get rid of weight, but "extremes don't hold up."

"I'm more interested in an approach that's reasonable and practical and more concerned with three years from now than three months from now," he says.

Out Of Control Eating

Rebecca Regnier, 39, a former news anchor who now runs Does This Blog Make Us Look Fat?, has been trying to find a diet that is a good fit for her.

"I'm really good at cheating," she says. "I'm not so good at losing."

Regnier says diets that provide variations, like the Cheat To Lose Diet, often cause her to "go off the rail and eat like there is no tomorrow."

Weight Watchers, she says, has been best at helping her stick with a healthy diet, in part because she gets instant support from online buddies.

She says diets are like quitting smoking.

"It is something that you are always trying to do," she says.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #2  
No description available.

This is what I do.
I eat very clean 6 days a week. One day a week I eat whatever I want. I think it helps keep my body from adapting to a constant number of calories and I know it helps me keep on plan the rest of the week. If I want a (fill in the blank), I choose not to eat it at that time, knowing that I can have it on another day. Sometimes I still want it, sometimes I don't. This also allows me to join in on holidays, birthdays, etc., without feeling any angst or guilt whatsoever. It is part of my plan and it works for me.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think the ideas of higher calories sometimes to prevent your body from lowering its metabolism is probably a good one. However, this program recommends once a week, and specifically recommends a whole day, not one meal. I've seen another program that recommends a whole week, but only every 4-6 weeks, I think it was. And I've seen all sorts of recommendations between. The problem that although the idea is great, we don't really know what's optimal, or if/how what's optimal varies among people. I think this will be one of the great improvements we see in coming times. Better knowledge about sustaining higher metabolic rates.

But, as you mention, there is of course another issue besides metabolic rate. That is, if it totally derails you into binging for 6 months, it's not gonna matter that you preserved your metabolic rate! However, the book is really not recommending binging on the cheat day. It recommends eating what you really want and stopping when you're full. Certainly, the degree of flexibility each of us can tolerate varies widely.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #4  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I do the same thing as midwife. One day out of the week, I'll eat a meal that I don't have to worry about counting calories. Usually it's chicken marsala from my favorite diner in my neighborhood. I just can't resist it! The fluctuation of calories, as I've read, helps your metabolism. And if I am being social, it makes things easier. Same with the holidays. I just try not to over do it.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I think the ideas of higher calories sometimes to prevent your body from lowering its metabolism is probably a good one. However, this program recommends once a week, and specifically recommends a whole day, not one meal. I've seen another program that recommends a whole week, but only every 4-6 weeks, I think it was. And I've seen all sorts of recommendations between.

Several of my friends see my trainer and my trainer has set up individualzed nutrition plans for each of us. Some of my friends have 2 "free" days, some 1....there is a pretty big focus on weight training and protein. Different people can lose with different kinds of "free days"
But, as you mention, there is of course another issue besides metabolic rate. That is, if it totally derails you into binging for 6 months, it's not gonna matter that you preserved your metabolic rate! However, the book is really not recommending binging on the cheat day. It recommends eating what you really want and stopping when you're full. Certainly, the degree of flexibility each of us can tolerate varies widely.
Absolutely (I haven't read the book)....my free day now looks a lot different than my free day 8 months ago. I just don't tolerate a lot of junk food anymore.....A day long binge would not feel very good. I am active enough that it wouldn't mess up my weight too much though....

Last edited by midwife; 12-09-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #6  

I do the one meal a week thing, but it was the idea of a whole day that baffled me... I usually do Sunday dinner at home w/ the family & I usually cook something supper yummy that I would NEVER eat because it doesn't fit into my plan. So, usually Sunday dinner is my once a week freebie... But to eat all day Sunday off plan? I just couldn't fathom that...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #7  

Works for me!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #8  
Here We Go Again

Extasee58865, I agree. One meal is pretty satisfying, especially if I am craving something. If I eat "bad" for the whole day, it usually leads into a mass binge, which could be a few days and THAT isn't good. On Thanksgiving I had to go to two places (my grandparents and my FH's aunt's). I love my grandma's stuffing, so I ate that and 2 whole wheat rolls. Then at my FH's aunt's I had a salmon fillet, some asparagus, a little bit of their pineapple stuffing - which was amazing, but I knew it wouldn't of been healthy to go back for more - and a slice of apple pie. I was SO stuffed and it looked like I barely ate anything compared to everyone else. I just can't eat the way I use to. This helps a lot, too, when eating my free meal. If I go out to a diner/restaurant, I'll usually only eat half, and I'll enjoy the leftovers for later. That way I don't eat the whole meal (making myself feel terrible) and then go home and want food later.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormwoodDoll View Post
[B]If I go out to a diner/restaurant, I'll usually only eat half, and I'll enjoy the leftovers for later.
My husband yells at me for this all the time.... We go out for dinner & I'll usually reserve my "free meal" for that night, it's not always on Sundays. Anyways, we went out last week and I got a sirloin steak sandwich on a wheat roll and it had cheese on it w/ au jue (sp) sauce on the side... I ate half the sandwich and a side salad. It came time to leave & I told the waiter I did not want to bring the remaining sandwich home, my husband FLIPPED! He couldn't understand that I had one free meal a week, and taking it home & eating what I did't eat the first time, would be 2 free meals a week... He still doesn't get it!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extasee58865 View Post
My husband yells at me for this all the time.... We go out for dinner & I'll usually reserve my "free meal" for that night, it's not always on Sundays. Anyways, we went out last week and I got a sirloin steak sandwich on a wheat roll and it had cheese on it w/ au jue (sp) sauce on the side... I ate half the sandwich and a side salad. It came time to leave & I told the waiter I did not want to bring the remaining sandwich home, my husband FLIPPED! He couldn't understand that I had one free meal a week, and taking it home & eating what I did't eat the first time, would be 2 free meals a week... He still doesn't get it!!!!
I'd agree, assuming that you didn't restrict yourself at dinner, that that would really be two meals. The thing is that restaurant portions are screwed up.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #11  
Here We Go Again

JulieJ08, yeah. They always give you like 2-3 servings [or more]. When I get the chicken marsala, it's about two 4 oz pieces of boneless chicken breast, but they go overboard with the pasta. That's probably 3-4 servings. I eat one piece of chicken and maybe half of the pasta, if not less. I do take it home, and most times my FH will eat it.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

When I first started out, I would eat perfectly for six days on the week and then allow myself a higher calorie day on the seventh. It worked great for me.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #13  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

I think it depends on the person. I do better by keeping everything moderate - if I want ice cream today, I put half a cup in a cake-cone and enjoy every lick. If I delay, I fear I'll be more prone to a multi-scoop sundae come my free day.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I do think it depends on the person. One thing you have to remember is that we're all EXTREMELY different when it comes to eating and working out. While the fundamentals are the same, the details are so very different.

I used to do a full day of no-counting and I probably will again at some point. It's just that for the holidays, a full day of no-counting could and has become a bit extreme. So now I limit myself to one meal of no-counting.

But over the last year, I've learned that there are some days I can have a "whatever you want" day because as my tastes have changed my "whatever I want" is different. I no longer want to gorge on a whole bag of potato chips or eat McDonalds until I blow up. Even if I wanted to, my physical capacity for that kind of eating is gone. I have gotten sick fairly recently from eating too many greasy chips - and "too many" now is something like 3 servings. Whereas I used to be able to scarf down an entire bag (large size bag) of sour cream and onion chips w/out even feeling vaguely queasy.

Do I think it's a good idea to eat healthy for a full week and then binge on everything junky and greasy and sugary and so forth for one day? Not at all. I think if nothing else, the horrible food hangover the next day would make me regret it.

But I also think that - as with the discussion going on in another thread about intuitive eating - we each have things that work for us. And for some people a "free day" does work.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

I think it works for some, yes.

I don't think it would work for me. An entire day a week that I don't count? Just thinking about what I could put down my throat on that day would make up for the deficit the rest of the week...
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote