Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #1  
~ The Walker ~

S/C/G: 48yrs/265/200?

Height: 5'7"

Question Sodium Question Please...

what should we stay UNDER Sodium wise? How Many Grams of Sodium a Day is The Norm??? and How Many Grams is TOO MUCH? i dont want to cause myself to hold on to water too much... and i know Sodium plays a big part in that right?
Girleeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

I believe 2000 is the recomended max, although it could be a little more or less. And yes too much sodium will make you hold onto water. Drinking plenty of water will help you flush out any excess.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

The numbers vary depending on the source. I believe in the US the RDA is under 2400 mg daily, but in the UK it's under 1600mg daily. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 1000mg per 1000 calories consumed, but Fitday.com says the RDA is 1500mg.

Are you salt sensitive? Do you bloat easily? Do you have high blood pressure? IMO, although I think there is an upper limit to avoid, I think some people need to limit their salt intake more then others. This might be a question for your doctor or nutritionist.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-10-2008 at 11:36 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205.5/185.8/128

Height: 5' 2"

I had been really concerned about my sodium intake when I started tracking it. I'd fluctuate between 1800 to 6500. I eat pretty clean however from soup, soy sauce (low sod) with stir fries etc - it adds up quickly.

I am seeing my doc monthly now to monitor my weight loss and health as I'm losing. We discussed the sodium issue while reviewing my diet and he said for me not be overly concerned since I am eating from good sources and not using ADDED sodium, going for low sodium choices etc but most importantly that my potassium intake is high as well. He suggested in my case rather than restricting sodium to try and make sure my potassium and sodium are balanced. I suggest asking your own doctor for recommendations in this respect. Each person is different.
ANewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

In Canada I think the max is 2300 mg per day. I track how much sodium I take in each day. Sometimes I go over and other days I am really below it. I also use advice from the DASH diet to keep it low by eating more fruits and vegetables and less processed food. You can find it online free by typing DASH diet into google.
sarkeo is offline   Reply With Quote