Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #1  
~ The Walker ~

Exclamation Should This Happen?

well... im 48, 5'7", wasssssss 263 and i Upped my calories this past Saturday to 1800 to be closer to my BMR and i dont know why but today i weighed myself and im now 267.5... SHOULD THIS HAPPEN??? might i Gain Weight before i start to lose? can someone explain this to me? thanks!
BuuBuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
can someone explain this to me?
Not unless you give more details.

What are you eating? Did you eat something with sodium in it? Are you eating more or less carbs/protein/fats? Have you been exercising at all? Have you changed your exercise routine? Do you lift weights at all? Do you weigh at the same time every day and wearing the same thing (or close)? How far are you from your TOM or from ovulation? Or are you peri-menopausal in menopause?

See, it's not as simple as just calories in/calories out, although it should be. There are dozens of other things that can impact your weight.

Give us some more info and I'm sure someone can help you out!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #3  

Also, things I thought of. Are you wearing the same clothes when you weigh yourself? I weighed myself this morning in sweats cause it's cooling off, it was a two pound different!

Standing on the scale in the same spot every time is important to. And if I'm not digging the scale, I 'reset' it by weighing myself and one of my two dogs. Someone posted once about a scale having a 'memory' and not readjusting by a few ounces so I'm always weighing different things before checking my weight in the morning.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #4  
~ The Walker ~

maybe i forgot to add this part in on my 1st post..... SINCE THE BEGINNING OF AUGUST I HAD BEEN EATING ONLY 1500 CALORIES A DAY UNTIL THIS PAST SATURDAY... AND AFTER READING & ASKING QUESTIONS HERE I UPPED IT TO 1800... could that be a part of it??? and i USUALLY only weigh myself every Saturday morning Naked... and i walk 1 mile everyday and work out 'sometimes'... and i am DEFINITELY Peri Menopausal... does that make a difference?
BuuBuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I've read a lot of your posts and I can feel your frustration. You asked for advice because you weren't losing fast as I remember, then upped your calories based on that advice. Now you see an upward change on the scale and it is freaking you out a little.

Let me say, five days is a very short time to see a change from calories. I say this as I'm panicked about weighing more today over Friday, but rationally I know it is true. A real weight gain of 4.5 pounds in 5 days is impossible - you would have had to consume 15,750 additional calories over what you were burning. You upped your calories from 1500 to 1800 - that is only 1500 calories over the five days. No way those 1500 calories gave you a real gain of 4.5 pounds. Take a deep breath, step back and look at it.

Photo Chick asked good questions - what did you add into your diet to get those extra calories? If it was something with a lot of sodium you are likely retaining water. You say you exercise a little and are peri-menopausal. I don't know what kind of impact the peri-menopausal would have, but I know I retained water in the first couple of weeks of exercise change.

Don't panic - it is fixable. 1500 was a little low for your weight, I believe, in the first place. You might have slowed your metabolism a little in the month at 1500 cals per week, too. Don't know...

Slow, deep breaths. It will be okay.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-10-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: didn't read everything from previous post... :-(
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok, first ... breathe! It's really hard to read posts typed in all caps and I promise we'll answer even if you're not "yelling".

Next ... keep this firmly in mind. 1 pound of fat = 3500 calories.

In order to gain 4.5 lbs in 4 days, you'd have to have consumed 15,750 calories *above* your regular daily maintenance calories. Unless you had a massive bingefest, that's highly unlikely.

Ok, next thing, WHAT did you eat when you raised your calories? If you ate something that's fairly high in sodium, you might be retaining water.

But the MOST important thing in your post is this:
Quote:
i USUALLY only weigh myself every Saturday morning Naked
If you normally weigh yourself in the morning w/out clothes, then weighing yourself in the afternoon with clothes could very easily add 5 lbs to the total.

My weight varies by 5-6 lbs over the course of a day w/out counting my clothing. If you just drank water or ate food, the weight of that water and food will be in your body. The weight of your clothes counts (and a pair of bluejeans can weigh 2 or 3 lbs by themselves). Afternoon weight is usually (for most people) more than their morning weight.

All of those things are important. Thats' why you should weigh at the same time, wearing the same things and not freak out about daily variances.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-10-2008 at 04:35 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote