Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Question Upped my calories from 1,400 to 1,800 and so hungry!

This is so weird to me. I've been stuck at 285 since July 29th. I'm frustrated but after talking to a lot of people it seems that I'm not eating enough calories. I'm 5'11 and 285.

Since I've upped my calories. I feel like I'm more hungry during the day. I actually ate 1,900 cal Friday and Saturday. I was hungry last night and decided to have a cup of carrots and then I was fine.

I'm eating a little more in each food group. Is this normal?

I was rarely hungry b/t snacks and meals when I was at 1,400 but now I am hungry.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Same thing here....I've been slowly increasing my calories, and the more I go up, the hungrier I get...hmmm....I figured after eating less for so long, I'd be STUFFED more than hungry!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Have the proportions of foods you choose changed? Are you eating more of a particular food type?

For example, high carbohydrate foods, especially highly refined carbs, but also foods high in natural sugars and starches (even fruit, sometimes) make me much hungrier. Unless a high carbohydrate food has a good deal of fiber, for me, it can even trigger binging. So for me, and for controlling hunger (not necessarily nutrition - that's a different consideration) a piece of bread is a better choise than a candy bar, a potato is a better choice than a piece of bread, a sweet potato is better than a white potato, snap peas are better than sweet potato......).

I know for me, when I'm on a lower calorie plan (or fewer points or fewer exchanges) I make sure that all my foods are nutritional powerhouses. To get the most nutrional bang for my buck, so to speak. However, on a higher range, I might be tempted to include foods that aren't as nutritionally perfect, splurging on something I wouldn't choose on a tighter nutritional "budget."

Last edited by kaplods; 08-18-2008 at 02:25 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #4  

I've been having a yogurt which has sugar and carbs. I also have been eating 2 servings of fruit a day and before I didn't really have any.

Should I avoid these? It could be making me hungry. I still have been avoiding sugar (candy bars, white, ice cream) The yogurt has sugar in it and I had that and then the natural sugar in the fruit but that's it.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I hate to say avoid, because they're highly nutritious foods. I face the same dilemma, trying to learn to use food to control my hunger while still getting a balanced diet.

I feel like a kid who got a chemistry set for Christmas that didn't come with instructions. I've said this a billion times before, so if you've heard it before, I'm sorry for repeating myself, but weight management is like being both scientist and lab rat.

Super low carb (like Atkins induction o South Beach Phase 1) gets rid of my hunger like nothing else. No hunger, whatsoever. And I lose weight at a much more rapidly (I'm insulin resistant so rapid for me, is still slow). Sounds like a dream - except I also get insanely intense headaches, feel light headed and weak, and am irritable (mean as a bear, my husband would say).

South Beach (Phase 2) style eating is the perfect balance for me, but I can't do it as the book says (without portion control) because my hunger signals just don't work right, I can overeat even the lowest GI foods. So I follow an exchange plan with some flexibility built in (1500 to 1800 calories), and try to make my choices from South Beach friendly food choices (but with the exchange plan, I at least have a backup plan to eat anything I want).

I'm still struggling with finding the optimal carb level for myself, so I can't give you a straight answer as to what and whether to avoid specific foods. Just something to consider. For me, I tend to do better when I have any of the higher good carb foods in the morning, rather than the evening. Berries tend to be a better choice than many other fruits (berries are the lowest in carb), especially in the evening. If I eat an apple, I tend to eat in the morning, or RIGHT before bed (as I'll be asleep before I get hungry).

I don't know if this will work for you, because I truly, truly believe that each of us is given (or has created) a different chemistry set.

Also, sometimes I deliberately screw with the fine balance. A few days ago, I wanted a SKOR bar (like a Heath Bar) so terribly that I bought one. I hadn't had candy in so long, I just really, really wanted it. I counted the exchanges and did manage to stay within my exchange plan, but it was a very intense struggle, and I had an incredible urge to binge. I can't say that the candybar was worth it, in hindsight (at least I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon)

Last edited by kaplods; 08-18-2008 at 02:57 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

You know, it may be that added fruit that is making you feel hungry. I noticed that if I eat fruit first thing in the morning on an emptly stomach I am ravenous by 9am. I think the sugars do it, and then add the fiber that probably makes it go though the system at break neck speed...
Did you increase yoru calories all at once or gradually from 1400 to 1800? I'm usually around 1200, but when I go above 1700 on a "binge" day the next day I feel like I'm literally starving.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

Kaplods has given you excellent info, but just wanted to add two thoughts...

First, are you eating the pre-sweetened yogurt that has high-fructose corn syrup in it? Those things are like a candy bar in a cup. You might try low fat or non-fat unsweetened yogurt and add your own sweetener (honey or splenda, etc.) as necessary and add some berries to it.

Second, what kind of fruit are you eating? You might try eating some that have a lower sugar content.
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

if you eat fruit i would pair it with a fat or a protein (peanut butter or cheese)

it helps slow the absorption of the natural sugars.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #9  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Sometimes when I eat too few calories I lose my hunger signals and my metabolism seems to drop. Is it possible that with adequate calories, your body knows it's okay to burn them, and your hunger is a result of your metabolism being stoked? Do you feel any different, maybe more energetic?
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #10  

I do feel more energetic. Yesterday I had strawberries and kiwi. The yogurt that I'm having is low fat. there's two grams of fat in 8 oz.

I was surprised that I didn't gain any weight which I know can happen. Over all, I feel good, I was just really hungry. I had a tuna pouch for my morning snack and I felt much better. Now I've eaten lunch and I'm not hungry at all. This morning I had my eggs and veggies as normal but was hungry. then two hours later had my fruit and yogurt was starving an hour later. That's when I had the tuna and I was good.

Is the yogurt I have good? What are some low sugar fruits?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post
Sometimes when I eat too few calories I lose my hunger signals and my metabolism seems to drop. Is it possible that with adequate calories, your body knows it's okay to burn them, and your hunger is a result of your metabolism being stoked? Do you feel any different, maybe more energetic?
I am having the same problem and I was thinking it was for that reason. I've started eating more and started dropping weight, my energy level is great (I was getting really tired before, part of why I upped my calories) but I'm Starvin' Marvin! When I get crazy hungry, I try and eat something low calorie/high protein. Goofy as it sounds, crab sticks are my favorite. At 40 calories each, a couple of them can kill my hunger without killing my calorie count.

Course all of this is new to me, so I'm just taking my best guess.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go again View Post
I do feel more energetic. Yesterday I had strawberries and kiwi. The yogurt that I'm having is low fat. there's two grams of fat in 8 oz.

Is the yogurt I have good? What are some low sugar fruits?
Fat and sugar are two different things. Something can be lowfat but still full of sugar. In the 90's there was a big thing about "fat free" cookies but in reality they were full of sugar and high in calories.

Read the label of your yogurt. If it's got high fructose corn syrup in it, you'd probably be better off finding a healthier kind.

As far as the fruit goes, ladybugnessa has an excellent point about pairing fruit with a fat or protein. I'd go that route.

~JoAnne
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #13  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Question

Ok, I think this question has been asked before but in lieu of this topic. When I calculated my calorie intake for my weight in order to loose 2lbs a week it was about 1600 cals a day. I have been doing 1200 cals a day and have been loosing some but not steadily 2lbs a week. Some days ( not today i blew my cal intake) I can barely eat up to 1200 cals. How is more calories going to help me loose more weight!? Someone please enlighten me on this concept. thanks
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

herewegoagain-

Sometimes I get super hungry for a few days after having a large drop in weight. Quite honestly, 1400 calories a day is VERY LOW for someone who started out at over 300 pounds, and who is at 285. 1800 calories a day is a much better level for your body! How quick did that 20 pounds come off? If it came off rather quickly, your body might be fighting it, thinking that you are starving. You are not in starvation mode (I think that is thrown around way too much...) but your body knows that it hasn't been getting enough fuel for a while, and might be trying to make up for it.

Every time I have a weight drop in a short amount of time, I have to fight the hungries. I wouldn't say that the fruit is making you hungrier...don't avoid the fruit...but you might want to be sure that you are eating something with protein WITH the fruit, like ladybugnessa advised. This will keep you satisfied longer.

Honestly, I think that you were at too low of a calorie level for a while, and your body knows it. Keep at the 1800 a day, and try to eat smaller mini meals and snacks through the day to keep you satisfied.

BoopRN-

Online calculators are GUESSES/AVERAGES. Nothing you do can make the body lose exactly 1 pound, 2 pounds, or whatever pounds per week. The body doesn't work like clockwork. Don't get hung up on what an online calculator tells you that you should be losing per week. It is very common for someone to lose a pound one week, nothing the next, and 2 pounds the week after that. Don't try to micromanage your weight loss.

As far as the calorie ranges go, you want to eat at a level low enough to cause you to lose, but you don't want to go TOO low. Everyone is going to be different. In the case of the OP, 1400 a day is too low for someone close to 300 pounds in most cases. Their bodies use more energy moving around than someone who is 150 pounds-because they are carrying an extra 150 pounds of resistance with them everywhere they go. Someone who weighs less needs less fuel.

It is a delicate balance when you are trying to find your proper calorie level. (Please read the FAQ sticky!) Going too low, as well as too high, can stall weight loss.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #15  

I just have to say I believe! I believe! After being stuck at 285 since July 28th, I have lost a pound.

aphil- I lost 18 pounds in my first month. So I did lose it quickly. I can tell that my energy is up now that I'm eating 1800 cal. I worked out yesterday and didn't feel woozy or tired at all. I thought everybody was crazy for telling me to eat so many calories. I thought that I would eat too much and didn't trust myself. but now, I believe! Who would have thought that eating MORE calories would lead to weight loss? Logically at first glance doesn't really make sense.

Now I feel that I can keep losing. I want to lose more pounds before Christmas. I'm going home to Arkansas to see my family who I haven't seen in a year and I want to have lost at least 50 pounds. I did the math and I could totally achieve this if I lose 2 a week.