Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #1  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default yellow squash

It was on sale today so I bought it lol Never had it before in my life, so whats an easy recipe I can use to make it tasty and low calories?
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

You can use it just like you would zucchini. I put it in stir-fries. I love it grilled or roasted. You can steam it, but dont' boil it - it'd fall apart!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

hey - I sauteed some tonight. First I put about 1 T. of olive oil and sauteed some onions and green peppers for about 5 minutes. I then added one yellow squash and one zuchini, sliced thin. I sauteed for another or so with a splash of white wine. I then added a can of diced tomatoes and some basil and oregano and black pepper. It was really good. My husband put parmesan on top of his, but I didn't.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #4  
it's always something

Mom used to dredge it in cornmeal and fry it But I do the same as Pat suggested. It has a fantastic almost nutty flavor and is even good raw in salads.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I love it the way southerners cook it...just a little olive oil (or butter!!), slice squash thin, and add as much onion (raw, sliced thin) as you want too.

Then cook it until it is mush (prob 30-45 min)! It will caramelize on its own...salt and pepper..delish!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/185/155

Height: 5'10"

I love it raw, in what i call a "spelt bowl"...a quarter cup of spelt, half cup of yellow squash and zucchini, some other veggies like mushrooms and sugar snap peas, feta crumbles, fresh basil, and lots of fresh ground pepper and some fresh squeezed lemon juice on top. sometimes a splash of olive oil if i'm feeling generous, but it really doesn't need it. so fresh, clean and delicious!
moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I had some tonight also.
Saute in a pan with a little water and canola/butter spread for flavor, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Oh, I also add some onion.
You can steam it too (for about 5 min) and have it fat free
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #8  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

I also had some, with zucchini, for dinner, tonight. Steamed, topped with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Yum!
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #9  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I love it sauteed (sp?) with some EVOO and I season it with
Season Salt
Garlic Salt or powder
Onion Salt or powder
Ground Pepper

Sometimes I put all the seasonings in flour and fry them but those days are gone since it adds to it!
It is also FABULOUS grilled...
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #10  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

I grew up with it sliced up with onion and cooked with a can of stewed tomatoes.

Grilled - slice into slabs (the long way, about a 1/2 inch), brush with olive oil and put on the grill - 5 minutes a side

roasted - slice or cube, toss with a little olive oil to coat, put in roasting pan with other veggies cut the same size, cook at 400 degrees. Toss or stir every 10 minutes and remove when the veggies start to brown.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #11  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

I forgot about grilling it. Mmmm... I know what I am having for lunch, tomorrow.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

I bake it this year..a little evoo and slice in onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little garlic powder and pepper. I bake it for 25 min in a 400 degree oven. I also have been doing green tomatoes the same way.
My sister inlaw called and said she had a new recipe for it...
she sliced the top off the side of it and then scooped all the insides out and cooked it with onion and bell pepper(boiled) . She placed the whole squash in a 400 degree oven for 20 min and then mixed the insides with a box of stove top stuffing and then stuffed the sqaush with the mixture..she added a little cheddar cheese and then plced the lid back on the squash and baked it for 30 more min.she said it was awesome!!! Im trying it tonight!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote