Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #1  

Default What's for Dinner?

Planning, planning, planning. I know it's important for my success...yet I HATE DOING IT!!!

Even though this should be easy, I'm struggling with ideas for easy-to-make dinners this week. I'm hoping you all can help.

So, what do you typically eat for dinner - or what do you have planned this week? (Please - say how many calories are in your dinner). Thanks!
healtheeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oddly enough I just finished my meal planning for next week and was workign on my grocery list!

Tonight
Tacos made with ground turkey, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and salsa. Tomato/cucumber salad. (about 420 calories)

Tomorrow
Homemade pizza. Whole grain crust, tomato sauce, marinated artichoke hearts, shredded spinach, mushrooms, cheese. Probably a salad on the side. (About 475 calories for an "individual pizza" - def a splurge dinner for me.)

Monday
Salmon, baked sweet potato, creamed spinach. (about 350 calories)

Tuesday
Pork loin roast in the crockpot, with baby red potatos, onions, carrots, celery. Probably a salad on the side. (about 420 calories)

Wednesday
Hamburgers (1/2 turkey and 1/2 burger), cole slaw with asian sesame dressing (about 325 calories)

Thursday
Stir fry; broccoli, onion, garlic, ginger, celery, carrot, snow peas, shrimp, brown rice. (about 360 calories)

Friday
Big pot of pinto beans and ham with celery, carrots, onion, etc. and a corn muffin (about 375 calories)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I don't do elaborate planning. A strategy I've found helpful is to cook up some things on one day and then have leftovers for a couple of days. So, I'll cook up a package of lean pork chops (6) and a microwave bag of green beans and some fresh asparagus or broccoli or summer squash, and then I have a couple of extra meals that I can heat up. I'll do the same with chicken breasts. That way I can always put together an under-300-cal meal.

I'm sure this strategy could be used even if you cook for a family--just increase the amounts.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #4  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

I go with the season and what's on sale - since it's around Oktoberfest, tonight I'm doing pork chops with apples and onions and cucumber salad with cucumbers form my neighbor; later in the week I'm making Mexican stuffed peppers with home-made pico de gallo since bell peppers and Roma tomatoes are both below 90 cents a pound. Usually I shop the sales and build my menu from there.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Just made my plan for this week (they end up at 350-450 calories, in general).

Tonight - Giant chicken salads w/ lots of veggies
Monday - Pork Tenderloin Skewers, Roasted Veggie whole wheat couscous, and a side salad
Tuesday - Grilled flank steak and grilled vegetable salad
Wednesday - It's my birthday, so I have no control...
Thursday - Tofu stirfry, brown rice
Friday - Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Penne
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't decide what I'm having for dinner more then a day ahead. Tonight I was craving Indian food, so I made saffron spice infused rice (used brown basmati rice), egg curry, curried okra, and cucumber raita. The rice was approx 180 per cup (basmati has one of the lowest rice calorie counts), the egg curry around 150 cals per serving, the okra just under 80, and the raita was around 30 calories. That works out to about 440 calories (plus wine .)

I still haven't figured tomorrow out, except that I have green beans that need cooking.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-06-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: punctuation
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #7  

I had a 5 ounce chicken breast and a half cup of peas and a small sweet potato (my 2 starches for the day).
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm just filling my plan into my food log too. Chose the food yesterday and went grocery shopping this afternoon. I have leftovers for lunch. I'm vegetarian. I don't know the calories, I haven't been counting them up lately, sorry. Probably at least 1700 calories (I use olive oil and nuts).

Sunday - veggie burger w avocado, lettuce & tomato, sauteed onion & mushroom, romaine & cilantro (no bun, but the veggie burger has grains in it)

Monday - rice salad (brown basmati and wild rice) w roasted bell peppers & broccoli, green & black olives and pine nuts, fresh basil, and peas

Tuesday - teriyaki tofu stirfry with broccoli, bell pepper and cashews; brown basmati and wild rice

Wednesday - spaghetti squash with a lentil-tomato sauce w fresh rosemary

Thursday - pasta with spinach-tomato sauce & mushrooms (will try turning it into a "cream" sauce with a little tofu)

Friday - Thai pizza (peanut sauce, chickpeas, bell pepper, pineapple, bean sprouts, etc) - haven't had this before

Saturday - maybe try a new Greek restaurant

I also just made a hummus variation with white beans (& tahini) and basil & thyme, and some red wine vinegar and mustard, etc. - I have 1/4c of this with raw veggies every afternoon.

For a morning snack I have a 1/4c each: Greek yogurt (2%), frozen blueberries, banana, and granola. I LOVE this.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

spaghetti squash!

just browsing... although I suppose I am indeed a calorie counter. anyway, i'm pretty excited about the above post because i forgot all about spaghetti squash and how i love it!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #10  

Julie - I'm vegetarian too - we can share ideas!

I forgot all about sphagetti squash - I'll have to get some soon.

Do you have a recipe for your lentil tomato sauce? Sounds yummy!

zenor77
- I didn't know basmati had a lower calorie count. And I love basmati! I'll be getting some to make with my own teriyaki tofu. Thanks for the idea!

mandalin82 - Happy birthday, and LOL on having no control

Last edited by healtheeme; 10-06-2008 at 09:03 PM.
healtheeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healtheeme View Post
Do you have a recipe for your lentil tomato sauce? Sounds yummy!
I have a recipe for the lentil tomato sauce, but this is my first time making it. I'll try to remember to post how it goes
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

PhotoChick...Want to be my cook? : ) Sounds like good meals. I so need a cook and personal assistant.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvaliscious View Post
PhotoChick...Want to be my cook? : ) Sounds like good meals. I so need a cook and personal assistant.
Hee hee! I love to cook. I think it would be fun to cook for other people, to be honest, but the having to jump through all the hoops of health and safety regulations and so forth is more than I want to deal with.

I'll stick to being a photographer for now!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-06-2008 at 11:44 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #14  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

Is having a wide variety important to you? I'm fortunate in that I'm the type of person who really doesn't care about a wide variety of food. Part of that is I'm a picky eater anyway, but aside from that, I just don't mind repeats. To me it's just food. Think about it: What'd you have for dinner on April 12, 2002? That's how little it matters in the long run.

The important thing is you said, "I HATE DOING IT!!!" That's a big red flag in anyone's book, because that simply isn't a sustainable model. There are some good tips and suggestions above. But also seriously evaluate your needs for non-repetitive meals.

I found the best thing about just having, say, the same seven things over each week is you have SO much more time on your hands for other things. You don't have to think when it's time to prepare and you don't have to spend hours in the store looking for stuff.

Anyway, that's my alternative take on things.
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

PhotChick....What kind of photography do you do? I am one also. : )
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote