Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #1  
Get Through The Moment

S/C/G: 227/218/140

Height: 5'4.5

Default Something that will stay with me...

Hi everyone,

I am new here so first I would like to say HI!

I am 27 years old and I just started college for the 1st time I am very excited!

I have classes from 9 am - 2 pm with an hour break from 12 - 1.

I need some ideas on what to eat that is:

Low Calorie
Something that will stay with me (filling) b/c I don't get home until around 4
Something easy that I would not have to heat up

I know I know... Thats why I need help with this one

Any ideas would be very helpful

Maybe something I could have in the morning before classes that would hold up until lunch. Right now all I am having is coffee... not good I know.

Thanks for the help!
goodbyethighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Are you eating in a dining hall or are you living at home or in a flat? Do you have a micro at your disposal?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #3  
Get Through The Moment

I live at home I am married with 2 boys.

My House is 30 - 45 minutes away from school.

I don't go into the dining hall - to many people. I usually go back to my car for my hour break.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I definitely think it would help you to get into the habit of eating something in the morning, before you take off for school. It can be traditional breakfast-type foods or really, anything that appeals to you--but be sure that protein is involved. For example, toast with a Tablespoon of peanut butter and a glass of 1% milk--fast and nutritious.

For things to carry with you, apples are a great thing. They come in their own wrapper! If you prefer, you could cut an apple up and take the slices in a baggie in a lunch bag.

If you have a cooler or insulated bag, you could also take some lowfat string cheese to go with the apple.

Do you ever cook chicken for the family? A cold piece of chicken breast inside a baggie will keep until lunch--and is tasty and filling. You could take some crackers, like a few Triscuits or whole grain crackers, to eat with the chicken.

Of course, sandwiches are a good idea--and there are package of tuna these days that you can take instead of cans. Tuna and crackers or bread is another good snack--and more fruits! How about... cherries, strawberries, oranges, Clementines? And what about baby carrots, celery sticks?

So you see, there are lots of possibilities! It just takes a little bit of planning ahead and preparation...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #5  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

i think soup is amazing, get a very low fat, low cal one, and have a slice of low fat bread or brown bread with it, and i feel full for ages.
fruit salad is another good one because it has high energy.
or a bowl of cereal, low fat, good source of energy. or try museli with greek/natural yogart. YTUMYUM
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your college enrollment! I went back to finish my degree at age 44 -- and I know a bit about the challenges you're facing all around. It'll all be worthwhile, though.

If I didn't plan my eating when I was in school, it only spelled disaster for me. If I wasn't hungry for breakfast in the mornings (usually peanut butter toast), I'd pack along a Fruit & Nut bar to eat when I was hungry (I like Kashi trail mix bars). Usually an apple and string cheese was my lunch standby, but there was a Wendy's across the street from campus so I'd get the baked potato & broccoli from there if I needed something warm & filling. If you like dry cereal, there are some healthier choices there that you can pack in a baggie or container. The ice pack/cooler idea is good, too -- half a sandwich (hold the mayo & cheese!) plus some carrots or other veggies you like is another calorie-sensible option. I always had a bottle of water with me, too.

Even though you're not a "traditional" student, however, I hope you will venture outside your car and socialize a bit -- that is one of the great features of the college environment. I'm sure there are other people with situations similar to yours with whom you can relate, but it's also interesting to know what's going on in the lives of your other classmates, too. Sometimes that's more of an education than the classroom!

Good luck to you! Do you have a major in mind?

Last edited by dustdiva; 01-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #7  
Get Through The Moment

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

I will graduate will a degree in radio-logic technology
Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on going back to school. The cooler idea is a great one. I find that if I spend a few extra minutes in the grocery store browsing I can get some ideas.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote