Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #1  

Default Not enough cals

I am trying to come up with some type of "menu" I guess you could call it for when I go back to school. This is so I don't grab whatever unhealthy convenient crap food i can find. Right now though I'm having trouble coming up with enough calories. Heres how I see each day going so far.

breakfast: 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean and a dannon yogurt (200 calories)
lunch: a Light Flat out (http://www.flatoutbread.com/movie.html) with several variations of fillings (lunch meats, vegetables, etc) (180 calories)
if I get hungry: vegetable salad (100 calories)
dinner: several variations of chicken dishes (250 calories)
dessert: granola bar or vita muffin with fruit (200 calories)

So that, TOPS, is around 900 calories. And I would be totally satisfied with that amount of food. Last year I lived off around 800 (disgusting I know, wasn't very smart). I mean yes I am approx. 123lbs and 5'7, and I am having a lot of trouble mantaining my weight. People on this board have told me that they have maintained at like 1700 calories at my height. I WISH I could do that! I just don't think after how much I harmed my metabolism I will be able to. But anyways, I would like to raise my calorie intake to at least 1200, I think that would be acceptable. Does anyone know any good ways to do this healthily? I think my biggest worry is the carbs, it seems I have enough of those. So I guess a low carb way too add a couple hundred calories? Thanks so much for any ideas, much appreciated.
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

When I want to raise my calories for the day Peanutbutter is always a good option and it's mostly healthy fats and protein I think. The "Natural" kind is much better for you. The low-fat versions just add sugars. It's good on celery, apples... bread... etc. about 200 calories for 2 tablespoons. If you don't like that a small handful of nuts will do about the same and doesn't add a ton more "bulk" if your happy with what your intake is.

I love those vitamuffins too!

My new favorite snack is a wasa whole grain crack with some turkey and 1/2 oz gouda on it.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

How about cottage cheese? You could add it to your yogurt or that wrap?
Do you exercise?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You could add a fruit to your breakfast in the morning, or as a mid-morning snack, since you only have a fruit listed once a day.

Secondly, 250 calories seems very low for dinner...what kind of dish are you eating that is only 250 calories for dinner?
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

Vegetables, fruit, and nuts!

Maybe add a peach or some berries or an apple to breakfast
Some carrot sticks and celery w/ some hummus as a mid-afternoon snack
Apple or celery with peanut butter as a snack
Trail mix as a morning snack
A vegetable side dish or salad to go with the chicken entree (broccoli, spinach, zucchini, carrots, peas....)

I find it helpful to divide up my calories among meals and snacks and add things in or take them out. If you're aiming for 1200 calories a day, you could try for 300 calories per meal and two 150 calorie snacks. Or if that seems like too much, 3 250 calorie meals and 3 150 calorie snacks. If it's hard physically or psychologically to eat all of those calories, maybe try drinking some, through a healthy smoothie?

You might try entering your sample menu into a program like Fitday, to see how it's balanced among carbs, proteins, fats, fiber, etc.
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

If you're feeling unsatisfied with that take on a daily menu, I would try spreading out towards eating 5 small meals a day. I get hungry about 2 hours after having breakfast, so if I eat breakfast at 7am, I'm getting anxious about lunch towards 9!! I'll usually bring a side salad with me for an afternoon "meal" with cottage cheese dressing (small amount of actual vinegrette or something mixed with the cottage cheese) or something similar to keep me satisfied till dinner time. Also, I think you could vary your meals as well. You might try soup to go (slim a soup, etc) with crackers for lunches. These can be whipped up in a mug and enjoyed as though you were sipping a latte or coffee! (that's what I did in college! My professor never knew!)

I would definitely try to incorporate more fruit into your diet. Having lots of veggies is alright, but you cant forget fruit! Its (in my opinion) better for your diet if you have plenty of fruit and drink more water.

I hope I've helped a bit!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone! Idealmuse, I don't actually like peanut butter which is a shame but I do like nuts so good suggestion. I don't like cottage cheese either! Jeeze I sound like a picky eater but I'm really not. In terms of exercise, I lift weights and do a lot of toning exercises every single day, and when I'm back at college I will be walking a LOT. I eat a lot of fruit, I love fruit. I can probably find a way to incorporate it into that salad. In terms of 250 calories for a dinner, I thought I would cook up a chicken breast (Perdue Light and fit boneless skinless chicken breast - 140 calories) on the george foreman grill. I have several ways of preparing it (with sauces, tons of veggies, and cheese). Couple slices of ham wrapped around chicken melted in fat free cheese, chicken with steamed broccoli in a thai sauce, chicken in a BBQ sauce with a side of potatoes.. I'm not sure how big the chicken breast are but with all the protein they have, which is around 20gs I shouldn't still be hungry for long after that. Usually after I eat I stay full for 3 1/2 hours. I have figured out all the nutritional information by myself and for each meal I have around 10g of fiber and 10g+ of protein and I feel that I am eating pretty healthy and well rounded. That latte is a good idea though, that way I can get more dairy/calcium with something to keep me up for studying! Thanks everyone that was really helpful! Especially the trail mix idea, I love trail mix.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #8  

p.s. I know you didn't recommend a latte haha, but the word got me thinking.
p.p.s. Does anyone know any good ways to bulk up a trail mix? Considering everything in a regular trail mix is so high in calories (nuts, dried fruit) and so low in mass (I'm the kind of person that needs bulk). Thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Cheerios! They add healthy fiber, no fat to trail mix.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote