Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6

Default salad dressing

I am looking for new ideas for salad dressing. I love ranch dressing and I've been eating the light done right one. I can't stand the fat free stuff. Anyways, I realized today that am using too many calories on my salad dressing and just thought maybe you guys would have some suggestions?
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #2  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I just use balsamic vinegar. Yum! The taste isn't for everyone, but I adore it -- and only 33.6 calories per cup! (Of course, I wouldn't recommend using an entire cup )

Another option is to use the salad dressing you're using now, but do the fork trick (dip the fork into the salad dressing, then pick up the bite of salad, so that you still get the dressing taste). It's great for portion control.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Salsa--sometimes I mix it with some fat-free sour cream, too.

That's about the only suggestion I have, as I can't stand runny (oil or vinegar based) dressings, nor can I tolerate a dry salad with only seasonings and/or a splash of lemon juice as some people like to do.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/172/142

Height: 5' 5"

I just tried hellmans salad sprays and they are great. Lots of dressing taste and 15 calories in 10 sprays. I don't know if they have ranch, but I have tried a balsamic and something called asian silk, and they are both great. I also tried them in stir fries, to add flavour and a little bit of oil to help the frying - worked fantastically well.
tj north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I'm a BIG fan of Kraft's Raspberry Vinagrette

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #6  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm a ranch fan too. It's just about the only dresssing I can stand. I actually realized that I really like using low-fat cottage cheese for dressing!! Its really good and you could mix some ranch in with it, like 50/50.
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I dilute regular ranch with skim milk and add more ranch dressing powder (which I actually buy in bulk, because I use it for a lot of things. Makes a good fajita style seasoning).

I also like unseasoned rice vinegar (also called rice wine vinegar). It's very mild so I even like it alone as a salad dressing, though I also use it to dilute higher calorie dressings, or I mix it with a little fish or soy sauce and Splenda.

Aldi has an asian chili salad dressing that has only 25 calories for 2 tablespoons. It is good (and makes a great marinade also), but I usually add a little more fish or soy sauce.

I usually add strong flavors to my dressings like garlic, herbs, fish sauce, soy sauce... because with stronger flavors I can use a lot less dressing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/123/120

Height: 5'6

This is a salad dressing that I am oh so proud of. Growing up my mom used to make chef salads and I adored the home made french dressing she made. I have never found anything that I like better. So, I set out on a mission to make the dressing calorie friendly. I have done it and I eat it on almost every salad I make. I even take it places with me.

It is pretty sweet, so you might want to go light on the splenda/sweetner if you don't want it so sweet.

Here's a whole batch (I usually 1/2 this)

1 cup low carb Katsup (5 cal. per tbl)
1/2 cup ff miracle whip
1/2 cup vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
Sweetner to taste. I usually use 1/3 to 1/2 cup splenda.
Onion (optional)

With the onion this runs between 7 and 8 calories per tbl. This can get thick, especially as it sits, so I like to add water to it occasionally, which stretches it also.

Enjoy!

Julie
juliemom232b5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love balsalmic vinaigrettes, both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's carry good tasting fat free versions. I'm currently digging Annie's Naturals Gingerly Vinaigrette - it's not fat free, but I really like it.

http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Pages/...dietginger.htm
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #10  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

balsamic vinegar is what I do too. However, I love caesar dressing too. In this case. I take one tablespoon (or teaspoon) and dip my fork in it. Oftentimes, I still have some dressing left over.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/153/145

Have you tried making your own Ranch with lower calorie ingred? I buy the powder at Sams in bulk and use FF Miracle whip with skim milk. I mix it with an immersion blender. It's great.
GramTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I mix light ranch with fat-free italian. I dont like ff ranch, but the ff vinagrettes are ok. It makes a creamy italian that is good. Or I mix it with salsa for a creamy salsa dressing.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #13  

I make my own salad dressings since the healthy store ones are so expensive. I make my own balsamic vinegrette (seems to be pretty popular here!) with 1 T olive oil, 0.5 T brown mustard and 2.5 T balsamic vinegar. I mix it up and use 1 T on my (large) salads. The brown mustard seems to take the bite out of the vinegar.

Another dressing that is easy and light is using red wine vinegar and lemon juice.

And here's a recipe for carrot ginger dressing (just like what you get on your salad at the hibachi). I have made it a couple times and use less of the oil. It's so flavorful that a little bit goes a long way. At the hibachi, it's usually served over iceberg lettuce, but it's great over better-for-you green leaf and other varieties. Choose a firmer lettuce (i.e. not microgreens!) that can stand up to this. I'll bet it was be great as a dressing for a Asian chicken or tofu wrap, with carrots and Chinese cabbage. (Okay, making myself hungry!)

CARROT GINGER DRESSING
Gourmet, January 2006; originally published 2001

Makes about 2 cups.

1/2 lb carrots (3 medium), coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water

Pulse carrots in a food processor until finely ground (almost puréed). Add chopped ginger, chopped shallots, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt and pulse until ginger and shallots are minced. With motor running, add vegetable oil in a slow stream.

Transfer mixture to a blender. Add 1/4 cup water and blend until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Thin dressing with additional water if desired.

Cooks' note:
Dressing keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 6

Talking

thanks so much! Great ideas!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #15  

I love ranch too, so I had to give it up completely! That was becoming my biggest weakness, so I switched to Caesar salads with light dressing. You can get them in the ready made salad packs or make your own. When I make my own I use Safeway Select Fresh Garlic Caesar Light Dressing. It has only 7 g of fat per 2 tablespoons. Just enough for a good salad. I add about 10 big seasoned croûtons and a good tablespoon of grated Parmesan. MMMMMMMM

Try it and let me know what you think! I eat them about once a day.
chickaboom is offline   Reply With Quote