Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #1  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Bread/muffin substitute for low-carbers: The One Minute Muffin!

For low-carbers!

One Minute Muffin:

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (golden flax meal is best)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 11.1 total carbs, 8.8 fiber, for 2.3 net carbs.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl, it comes out more like a round piece of bread.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

The cinnamon can be replaced, or it can be made savory. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added. Many people have said that the recipe benefits from a pinch of salt. I personally replace the butter with 1 tsp melted coconut oil. Some people put a tbsp of greek yogurt or sour cream, some add a tbsp of pumpkin, others omit the cinnamon and add onion powder, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese.

There are a bazillion variations on this recipe at Low Carb Friends. They are all great!
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #2  
Happy Member

Thanks for sharing. I made one for supper tonight, and it was very good, and filling.

I'll also be trying some of the variations listed.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #3  
Vegetarian, Low carb

BTW I use coconut oil instead of the butter because I am on a journey toward going vegan. It adds a very mild coconut flavor to the muffin.

I also tried substituting the butter with a couple teaspoons pumpkin and used pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon; it was delicious! I had to cook it for 45 additional seconds because it was too mushy int he middle after only 1 minute.

I made another tonight; I substituted sour cream for the butter and I used stevia for the sweetener. It was not sweet enough so I put a dollop of sour cream on top with a packet of splenda sprinkled over it. OMG it was HEAVEN!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/190/145

Height: 5'5

Thanks for posting, I will def. try this, though I will probably sub stevia for the splenda but it sounds great either way!

Last edited by canuckgirl7; 11-12-2011 at 09:50 PM.
canuckgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #5  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgirl7 View Post
Thanks for posting, I will defi. try this, though I will probably sub stevia for the splenda but it sounds great either way!
I made it with stevia and it wasn't sweet enough for me; I would use two packets of stevia instead.

ANd the sour cream version, with the dollop of sour cream and a packet of sweetener on top, was really, really good. I just finished it and HAD to post.