Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #1  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Changes in bustline

Not sure where to post this, but this forum seems to encompass a lot of "body" matters...

Does anyone remember the old joke about women pumping their arms and chanting, "we must, we must, we must increase our bust"? I never took that seriously or understood anyone to say those kinds of exercises really worked. Anyway...

A little info on me -- maybe TMI -- I've been overweight since second grade and I've never had perky breasts. They've always pointed south, unfortunately. With a good bra, it doesn't bother me so much, and since I'm single, it doesn't bother anyone else. ha!

I've read a lot of posts by women here that say that their "girls" deflate with weight loss, and become saggy, or more saggy. And, honestly, I experienced that at first with my loss, and was prepared for even more. But, surprisingly, I think they're firming up, and may even be a little less saggy!

I've been strength training and lifting as heavy as I can and loving it for about 6 months. I've seen remarkable improvement in my shoulders and upper arms in particular, and hadn't really noticed "the girls." But, what do you know, I think they're perking up! Nothing spectacular, but definitely a change for the better.

I haven't read anywhere about particular exercises to strengthen or increase the bustline, but something that I'm doing is working. I just wondered if anyone else has had this experience. I haven't seen any other posts about similar phenomena, but, ladies, if you're sad about the shape of your "girls," there might be hope!

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-21-2014 at 09:39 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/117/127

Height: 5'0"

I actually GAINED a cup size after losing 60 pounds! If you're doing any chest presses, chest flies or any other weight lifting that involves your pectorals, that's what's giving your girls their "perky" appearance. While it's impossible to naturally make the girls larger, developing your pectorals will give you a natural lift.
LauraDGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #3  
I think I'm losing it!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Laura. Congrats on losing 60lbs and gaining in the right places!
Yes, I am doing chest presses, and I googled a bit today and read that pushups and arm dips are good chest exercises. I do both of those, too. I've really been lifting to reduce my large upper arms and had no idea how it would affect the rest of me. This is a nice surprise! I do hope it continues!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Working on the pecs will work! You're not the only one who hasn't had a bust horror story! I've only lost a cup size, and they are looking a little perkier due to strength training. Bet wishes as you move forth.
grinchygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #5  
I think I'm losing it!

Thanks, grinchygirl! And, congrats on reaching your latest goal! Woohoo! Look at you - no longer obese! No sir, not you!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #6  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I recently went back to swimming, and have noticed a difference. Now, to be fair, I am among the um, "unchallenged" in the chest category and gravity has not been horrible to the girls. But I'm 46 and they had been looking a little depressed. I am very happy to say that as of this month, they are once again passing "the pencil test". As in, they're off my ribs again.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm pretty certain the reason mine have stayed as nice as they are is the swimming and strength training I do. There's also anecdotal evidence that high fat diets keep them at the same size, but I'd rather not be a G cup for the rest of my life.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #8  

I do my exercises at home, using dumbbells each time. I have to say, I'm glad I bought those weights! Strength training really helps, and you don't even bulk up like some women fear (as long as you don't exaggerate with the weights, of course).
Adriana86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #9  

My personal trainer used to tell me, "Curls get the girls, Flys get the guys." As in bicep curls that build big arms help guys get girls and chest flys that perk up the boobs help girls get guys. I am a FIRM believer in chest flys and bench press. They build the foundation of pectoral muscles that support the breast tissue and prevent sagging or hanging.

And honestly, when I am struggling for ONE more fly… I actually say that silly line in my head until I can power through it. Silly but eh.
ANTICAKECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #10  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

OMG I clicked in because I saw the line from "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" in your post. I didn't know it was something anyone actually said outside of a Judy Blume book! That is so cool! LOLOLOLOL!!!

I am one of the wrinkly breast strugglers. I started off a 44J and at my lowest was a 32E and am currently a 36DD. Now in fairness, I'm not a heavy lifter, but also in fairness to me, I don't think I had the sort of breasts that lifting would have helped significantly to begin with. Mine were always the droopy, pendulous kind, and would never have been described as perky even in my teens. I think genetically and environmentally, I never got my ticket for the perky train. Losing weight for me resulted in a loss of fullness more than any loss of perkiness.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 227/139.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

I've never had much of a chest in the first place, but my mother has mentioned a few times that my boobs are smaller. I never really thought about it because everything's getting smaller. I actually think my chest looks better now, but that's probably because my stomach's not as big or it could be from upper body toning. I might add some more chest exercises into my routine now that I know it makes a difference.
circa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #12  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I don't mind my "rocks in socks" as long as the belly is not bigger than my chest! It was a tie for a while there and I think I might actually be bigger up top now, as long as I don't slouch. lol

Chest dips FTW!
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #13  

Definitely lost a cup size after losing. I wasn't sure if I was totally thrilled at first, but at least I was getting healthier! It was also nice to go shopping for new underwear. It made me realize that I needed to quit with this highly sexualized version of my "skinny self." Its not about the Pamela Anderson idea of sexy or hot or whatever. If my boobs are natural Bs, then dang it, they're natural Bs, and I'm happy regardless!
DietLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Most people who wear bras are wearing the wrong size, and not many bra fitters have proper training, so that makes it harder to tell, bear in mind.

A friend of mine got worried once because one of her breasts had grown larger than the other. Then she realised that it was because she had started working at a pub, and was regularly pulling pints with her right hand, which was giving her chest muscles a good workout. She started alternating which hand she used for pulling pints, and things evened out again.

Mine get deflated if I go below a certain weight, so my target weight this time is 5lb higher than last time. I've got severe ME/CFS so I can't do the sort of exercises that would help, alas.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote