Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Will my tummy tighten up or be flabby/saggy? (pics)

***contains pictures of me, without a shirt on. you've been warned! lol man i'm pale...***
(this was also posted in another forum on this site, but i moved it here for more traffic, no one was responding :C )

I'm 5'8", 174lbs, 22 years old, and i've already lost 38 pounds to date. I gradually got pretty heavy, over years at a time through high school, i've never had a baby. so these marks on my tummy are just from weight. They don't seem that bad to me, when they first came in years ago, they were red and it scared me, i didn't know why i got them. but anyways.
I know some of you here have lost weight, and some people have saggy skin afterwards, some don't. I know the marks won't entirely disappear, they're almost invisible as it is, but i just wanted to get your opinion on if you think my tummy will be tight and firm after weight loss.
I am trying to do lots of resistance workouts, and i like how my stomach feels afterwards, more tight and in control.
Thank you guys for any advice! Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think! (i'm trying to lose 20+ more pounds)
Here's me just standing, i have kind of a dimple where my abs are pulling my tummy in ^^

Here is me, from the side, flexing, and on the right, not flexing my abs.

Here is me, bending over and flexing, so you can get an idea of how much chubs there is. lol

and here is a close up of the marks. (and a sparkle, apparently. lol)
RookaWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

I think you will be able to get your abs tight (or mostly tight) depending on whether or not you start lifting weights to tone. Granted the marks will stay but they will turn white/silvery so they won't be as noticeable. I've seen women get their abs tight that have had kids so it's possible.

I say keep going and start lifting kettle bells.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I think you have a very good chance because of your age. If you haven't heard of skin brushing, Google it. I think it helps a lot, as does a good moisturizer daily. Congrats on the loss!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #4  

Thanks guys!! This is super encouraging!!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #5  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Random but where did you get your bra? It looks fantastic, lol. And I think you look like you'll tone up fine; your stomach looks better than mine does, haha!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

Yes. You are only 22 and not that big. The marks are called stretch marks ... and you get them when you grow AND when you shrink (sorry... but yes you might get more as you lose weight)

Now to the good news... when they are red you can heal your skin with extra moisturizers... take care of your skin and get into the habit of a nightly routine (lotion!)
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I won't be tight if you don't make it so - weight loss does NOT benefit muscle composition, so without dedicating time to hard muscle building it will be slimmer, but still soft. If loose skin is your concern, while I see some stretchmarks (an indicator of slightly inelastic skin properties) they're minimal and it looks fine. I doubt you'll have any of the noticeable skin issues that come to mind when "loose skin" is discussed
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #8  

You guys this is exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you all so much. I'm ready to go for my goals full force now.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Random but where did you get your bra? It looks fantastic, lol. And I think you look like you'll tone up fine; your stomach looks better than mine does, haha!
I got it at Victoria's Secret lol it's a full coverage dream angels I think.
And thanks for your opinion! I'm glad I got the courage up to put some pictures online and ask for advice!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Best way to find out is the loose the weight!

That said, your stomach looks loads better than mine did when I started out. I ended up with a decent amount of loose skin, so hopefully you won't.

I second the lifting suggestion. I have barely any loose skin on my arms because of all the lifting I do.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote