Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Default Brachioplasty pros and cons, and input needed...

So, I think I have decided that I am definitely going to wait on possibly having a tummy tuck and breast lift until I have kids. Who knows, by then I may not care about that stuff that much anymore. I know children definitely can shift your priorities...haha However, I really think I would like to reward myself with brachioplasty after I am done with my weight-loss. I hate my arms. I have always hated my arms. After looking at before and afters, I realize that I only have moderate to a little worse than that sagging (no bat wings), but I still can't stand what I see when I look in the mirror with my arms out to the sides. I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone who has had this type of surgery. Where did you have it, what were the total costs, how was the recuperation, do you like your results, would you do it again? Thanks so much for the input!!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Thanks for moving them! I would love to hear your experience and anyone else's as well. I didn't even know we had a sub-forum like this Thanks for the input!!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #3  
RJS

S/C/G: 225/125/maintaining

Height: 5'3"

I've had a tummy tuck, breast lift and brachioplasty.

It's definitely a good idea to wait until you've had kids to do the first two. For the arms, I'd recommend waiting until you hit whatever weight you decide to maintain before having surgery. You don't want to have the arms needing to be done a second time if you lose more weight.

I had the tummy tuck and arms done at the same time, so recovery was a bit rough. After about 6 weeks, I was able to do pretty much any activity, though I had to ease back into things - especially weightlifting.

I have no regrets and love my results! The scars on the arms are noticeable, but don't bother me at all. You'll definitely want to think about how you feel about scarring, because arm scars can be hard to predict. Make sure the skin bothers you more than a scar would.

By the way, don't feel bad about having extra skin. Genetics plays a very big role in how your skin behaves with weight loss. Even if you do everything else that is supposed to help, sometimes it happens anyway.

makemeheal is a pretty good plastic surgery forum, and they have an arm lift subforum with info that might help.
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I would strongly, strongly advise you to investigate the irreversible damage to the lymphatic system that happens in procedures like this.

And as a side note from a non-surgery person that lost 100+ lbs.....time and dedication to muscle toning has made a world of difference in my skin issues.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #5  
Zoë's Mommy

S/C/G: 300.2/295.8/150

Height: 5'8"

If its not bad you may try dry skin brushing(google or check out ttapp.com). I'm going to start it now as I'm losing the weight and see if it helps because I'm very very afraid of surgery. My last surgery(gall bladder removal) hasn't made it all that much less scary. It took me quite a while to wake up. On the one hand I had not slept much before going in. She(the surgeon) also said I got a little red so they were worried about allergic reactions to anesthesia. That is scary because I have had a lot of reactions since having my daughter to different things first nickle and certain laundry soaps meds.

I have friends online that have no profit to gain by saying it but have had some results with firming up skin some with the dry skin brushing every morning before shower. It can take time and even more cuts in dietary fats too before it falls off.

I think I'd opt for the arms over tummy. I don't much care if I ever wear a bikini in public I'm fine with a modest tankini but my arms already are pretty bad from them ballooning up in pregnancy. It was more water retention that went away after birth and left me with horrible arms.
Zoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote