Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default bones

it's so weird to feel my bones. i can feel my ribs just putting my arms at my sides. they don't even stick out in the mirror, i'm just used to the padding that was there. and my front hip bones. it's like i want the cushion back on my ribs, but there's clearly so much fat still on my hips area and other parts of my body.

this must be a common issue. anyone notice this?
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Omgosh I'm totally with you on this one!
I probably starting noticing more prominent bones (mainly my knees, elbows, hands, collarbone) about 30 lbs down but now that i'm 50 lbs down I notice i'm boney all over. Shoulders, spine, ribs..everywhere lol It even hurts sometimes when I hit these newly uncusioned areas.
Confession...yesterday in one of my classes I noticed the girl sitting in front of me had a boney spine and shoulders and I even got a little jealous of her lack of body fat until I remembered...."Thats what you look like" lol weird.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I have quite a bit of fat left to lose, but just wanted to note... basically, EVERYONE at a healthy body weight can sort of feel their ribcage. Ribs just... aren't made to have a cushion of fat on them. At a healthy BMI, you shouldn't be able to see your ribs if you're just standing in front of a mirror, but you definitely should feel vague outlines. I have a huge pad of tummy fat and a wide waist, by the way, so it's not that I'm just a pear with no fat on my upper body -- but even for apples, fat just doesn't like to stick on top of the ribcage.

The long and short of it? Don't worry, this is totally normal. It's like exposed elbows and collarbones
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Me too! I can feel my ribs, my spine, my tailbone and my hips (which are they weirdest!). But I have this pouchy belly. It's all very strange, and some days I don't know if I'll ever get used to it.

The lack of padding in my rear is a real issue occasionally. I have to double up on a towel now when I do floor work, and even then it hurts sometimes.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You know what's weird for me? Today, all of the sudden, my hip bones hurt, like they're bruised. I actually think it's from my pants. I think the five pounds I just lost came off my hip bones! Now that's weird.

But yeah, my bones have been popping out all over and I love it!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote