Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Bog O' Bones

Last night a guy associate told me I looked like a skeleton. LOL!

Gee. Thanks.

He said he didn't recognize me when I walked into the building and that I had gotten so skinny.

Ironically, last night I also had a "friend" (girl) tell me that when I lose more weight she'll let me borrow her shirt (which I'd complimented earlier). Backhanded compliment much??

If I'm honest, I think I'm smaller than she is and the stupid shirt would probably be too big on me! I find it kind of funny, really. She's been known to say some off-handed things to me in the past, though.

Today I woke to being 1 lb from goal (Yay!). I most definitely do not want to go smaller than I am (5'8", size 10). I just want to continue toning.

Another thought (I'm brain purging here, LOL): Do you guys feel awkward sometimes when people ask you to give them tips on losing? I mean, I just know what I did for myself. I can't say what will work for them...I barely know what I am doing right and wrong here with myself. I'm not an expert. I'm learning as I go along, too. Anyway, I try to offer up anything that might help them, but really I don't know for sure and I don't like being looked at as an expert.

All thoughts/ramblings welcome.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 01-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #2  

Oh great...I meant Bag O' Bones. Oh well, you get the idea. :-)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I haven't gotten any requests for tips yet. I'm not at that point.

But my thought is, some of the back-handed compliments could come from just plain envy. You making such an improvement, and congratulations on all your hard work, it reminds them that they've got flaws they should be working on too.

If I were in your position I think I'd be tempted to just get my own beautiful blouse and tell HER she can borrow it if she loses enough weight!

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 01-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
gnize me when I walked into the building and that I had gotten so skinny.

Ironically, last night I also had a "friend" (girl) tell me that when I lose more weight she'll let me borrow her shirt (which I'd complimented earlier). Backhanded compliment much??

If I'm honest, I think I'm smaller than she is and the stupid shirt would probably be too big on me! I find it kind of funny, really. She's been known to say some off-handed things to me in the past, though.
You have to borrow it anyway, so you can bring it back and say it was too big.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-27-2010 at 02:03 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #5  

LOL! Great ideas, you two! :-)) haha!

I had a dream of saying, "Oh is that a large? Awwww, I wear a medium. *insert exaggerated annoyance* Darn it! Well, thanks for the offer, anyway!"

ETA: Thanks DisgruntledOne! Yeah, there are most definitely things I can advise on. It just makes me nervous sometimes, like I'll have the guilts if what I suggest doesn't work for them. I might start worrying that they are thinking I'm holding back on the true answer to this weight loss mystery.

Hi, I'm a people-pleaser to a fault. LOL!

Last edited by Cali Doll; 01-27-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

First off,

1 pound from goal?!?!

I cant believe that girl said that (open mouth, insert foot)... I would have come back with something like "while it looks nice on you, It is not something I would EVER consider wearing." That might make her think about her own style. However, you were the bigger person for just letting her inconsiderate, thoughtless comment go.

Keep up the good work, chickie. You have done such an awesome job and are such an inspiration to all of us.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

When they ask how they can lose like you're losing, just tell em eat less & exercise!

In one of my previous diet incarnations, my landlady asked me how I stayed so skinny, I said, "Simple, I don't eat!" and I just grinned at her and got in my car. I learned to just treat any kind of comments about my weight/diet as shallow, meaningless small talk (something like talking about the weather) rather than any kind of serious convo that I should take to heart. Worked for me!
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Unfortunately I am around many people who are not interested in losing weight (to each his own, I understand). There's only been one person who's asked me for advice and I thought the best advice I could think of was to tell her to take it easy, don't change everything at once, and do what you think you can mantain in the long run. If she can't give up chocolate forever, eat it... just less. She got the point, but she's also a yoyo dieter...

Anywho, you're doing great (1 pound from goal! WOOT!) and as a fellow 5'8"-er, I can figure that 161 probably isn't skeletal on you.
As a side note if you check back here... I'm really curious about how I'll look when I hit my goal (which is where you're at now). What kind of shape are you by chance? (If you don't mind my asking.)

Last edited by stargzr; 01-27-2010 at 12:44 PM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #9  

Thanks guys!!!! :-))

Stargzr, you know what's funny? When I was heavier I was CLEARLY an hourglass. I had ginormous hips and thighs with a smaller (not "small") belly. I had, and still have, big b00bs. I'm a 32 DDD right now.

Now that I've lost weight I really think I've turned into an apple shape! My hips have gone down an insane amount!!! (I'm still amazed when I look in the mirror sometimes. I'd ALWAYS been hippy). My b00bs have gone down a lot, too. While my belly has gone down (I'd say it is small now) it's still the part of my body with the most fat (save for b00bs). When I'm looking straight ahead in the mirror (unclothed) I think my waist is only a smidge smaller than my hips. I think my shape has almost turned teenage-boyish (straigh up and down from below the b00bs).

When I get to goal (which could be weeks away since my body has decided it's insane), I will post pictures. Or maybe I'll look and see what pics I have at home. I will post for you to see.

So anyway, I do Side Planks everyday to work on my obliques. I want my hourglass back! :-)

ETA: The shadow pic in my avatar is me at about 175 lbs (I'm wearing size 14 jeans in that pic - they needed to be held up with a belt, though).

Last edited by Cali Doll; 01-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #10  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on being 1lb away from your goal. You get the "Happy Dance" too!!

I way to silly to just let her comment ride. I would borrow the shirt and wear it when I knew she would see me. I would say something creative like, I thought this may be a little too small for me because I thought you were smaller than me but it seems too big. What do you think? I would have a very confused look on my face.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #11  

jigglefree, yay! I love the bouncy cloudy marshmallow things! :-) haha

Very nice comeback, too!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

That'd be SUPER awesome! You are SOOOOO close to goal as it is, I can't wait to hear/see your goal post!

It seems like everyone on here has such different goal weights for the same height so it's neat (to me )that you and I had similar starting weights and our goals are darn close too.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #13  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Cali Doll! It's an awesome feeling being so close to your goal. I still get some crazy stupid comments from people, even after reaching goal about 3-4 months ago. I have had some people, men mostly, who told me that they were afraid to ask about my weight loss because they thought I was sick. The backhanded compliment girl is jealous--plain and simple.

As far as my answer to others when they ask how I lost it, I too just say "eat better and exercise". It is definitely not the answer they are looking for judging by peoples' reactions. Most people roll their eyes and drop it at that. Some others do ask more questions, and I do try to answer them truthfully, to which they often respond with a whole lot of excuses about why they can't do what we are doing.

Last edited by losermom; 01-27-2010 at 06:05 PM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargzr View Post
It seems like everyone on here has such different goal weights for the same height so it's neat (to me )that you and I had similar starting weights and our goals are darn close too.

I agree! I have several pics to post but they are on Facebook and last night I couldn't recall my Photobucket password so as to post pics here. ...I'll figure it out tonight.

And losermom - thank you!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #15  

Here are a few pictures to show myself at different stages.

*Pics deleted*

Last edited by Cali Doll; 01-30-2010 at 10:44 PM.