Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #1  

Default Visible veins??

So I recently stared at my upper and lower arm today only to find I can see tons of veins...arteries...blood carrying thingies whatever their names. I am very light skinned, and I can see veins everywheres I don't want to see veins. As I am progressing verrry slowly on my WL journey, I am noticing these things. Did anyone have this problem when beginning, and does it get better? I have high bp controlled by medication, but have had that since a very early age and normal weight making me think it's genetic. Is the fat pooching out the veins closer to the skin?? Yes I am obsessing a bit over this fairly simple issue, but when I notice bizzare things about myself I am always curious to see if anyone else is similarly situated. Anyone know anything about this?
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #2  
Gettin' SKINNY!

S/C/G: 190+/160/140

Height: 5'4

I am very light skinned and have these veins that you can see. I can still see them at my goal weight as I've been there before so, personally I think it's due to your paleness which can't really be helped. My friends joke that I am so pale I look blue due to being able to see the blueness of the veins! I find tanning helps so sometimes I use a moisturiser with fake tan pigment in it.
Little JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #3  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

It has to do with the paleness of your skin and the thickness (or lack of thickness) of subcutaneous tissue (if you look at elderly people who have no "meat on their bones" you can see very prominent veins). Fat is, of course, one of the subcutaneous tissues, so as you lose fat, everything ends up SLIGHTLY closer to the surface. But mostly I think it's skin color - the lighter you are, the easier it is to see darker things (like veins). I have the same problem.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is slightly different, but yes, after I lost weight, this one vein on my forehead in particular suddenly become visible. It's not blue, but it's upraised, like a squiggly line running underneath the skin. I wasn't surprised by this as my face changed a lot as the pounds came off. The bone structure is much more visible.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/152/105

Height: 5'1"

Yes, my hands and feet have very prominent veins, and also I notice them on my upper arms. I'm also extremely pale so any discoloration shows up more than it would on most people.

Sometimes if I rub the skin over the veins they will subside for awhile but they come back
Dalgishake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #6  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I too have become very veiney as I have thinned as my body fat reduced and muscle came out my veins are much closer to my skin more exposed I guess!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #7  

I am one of the pastiest white guys you could meet.
I love that my veins are becoming visible, that and the pain I get in my hips from lying on my side (the "wow I have hips!" pain) make me feel more and more human every day
randomname is offline   Reply With Quote