Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Question Cellulitis?

I have a vast amount of sagging Subcutaneous Fat on my lower Abdomen.I currently don't have Mattresses,so for many,many Month's have been sleeping on my Couch.The design of my Couch limits me to 1 sleeping position,which is my left side.A portion of flab hangs over the Couch.There is a difference in the texture of a patch of Skin and it is slightly dry/itchy.I scratched,so now have red scratch marks about the spot.I'm really concerned.I don't know if it is Cellulitis,sleeping Night after Night on my left side,or something MUCH worse!
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #2  
Mel

Go see a doctor- we really can't diagnose over the internet.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/145 HW: 232

Height: 5' 9"

sounds like a fungal infection(yeast). Cellulitis would be painful deep under the skin, red and hot. A yeast infection can get super-infected and become more serious. You should go to a doc and get some antifungal cream. Keep an eye on it.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are so many skin conditions that it could be. Since some of them are fairly serious, I'd also recommend seeing a doctor.

If you don't have insurance, call your local United Way help line for information about free and discounted health care options.

I don't know if it's universal (it seems to be pretty widespread) for the number for the United Way local helplines to be 211. It provides provides free and confidential information and referrals for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.

If you want to see if you have local 211 service, you could either call it and see or check this website:
http://www.211.org/

Last edited by kaplods; 01-29-2010 at 03:58 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Mel,
I have an Appointment soon and will show my Doctor,but I thought someone could help me figure out what it could possibly be..
Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #6  
Woman on mission!

Dingo,
I have Systemic Fungus (Candidiasis),yet this isn't underneath.It is on top of my Tummy near my Belly Button.What scares me most is,it feels like a small pouch of Fluid with a slight hardened texture.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Kaplods,
I'm worried it is something very serious.I have Insurance,and if I didn't,there is no United Way in my Area.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Butter Butt - Would sleeping on the floor be an option for you in any way? I have been w/o a bed for extended periods, and I found the floor, with a camper mattress and as many blankets as I could rustle, to be my best option. I had a $30 air mattress which, I admit, did have to be replaced after about 3 months of nightly use. It was the Coleman brand. I thought 3 months of every night was pretty decent for $30. Another option I have used when between beds is to remove the couch cushions from the couch and place them on the floor - maybe between the wall and some furniture to prevent them from shifting, and sleep on those. Also, (and can you tell I have done this more than I care to think about! Hah!) I can tell you that unless your body is in rough shape, and no shame here just saying, the floor will wind up being better in the long term. If we are talking months, double up a quilt, or an old defunct foam pad, and get thee on the floor! the first few nights will have you loaded for bear in the AM, but in the end, being able to toss and turn is, IMO, better than being on a slightly softer but more restrictive couch. Just throwing some options at ya, and hoping your "camping" days are over soon! Hang in there!
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_Butt View Post
Mel,
I have an Appointment soon and will show my Doctor,but I thought someone could help me figure out what it could possibly be..
There are a lot of possibilities, and even doctors often can't tell just by hearing a description, and often can't even tell just by looking.

That being said, I think there is a possible clue that your issue may not be too serious as long as it's treated early. If you didn't have a doctor's appointment I wouldn't want to even suggest this, because of the possible consequences if I'm wrong.

Realize that I am NOT a medical professional. Most of my information comes from conditions I experienced directly or indirectly through myself and family members, or learned of because of my own curiositly and/or college and graduate classes I took, (incidental requirements or electives for my B.A. and M.A. psychology degrees).

Since you seem to suspect that it's occurring because of sleeping on the couch - that is you didn't notice it before sleeping on the couch, and the position of the rash area is consistent with that being a possibility - that suggests (but doesn't prove) that it's a pressure or friction injury from your sleeping position.

If it I'm right, make sure you talk to your doctor about getting you a better option for a bed. If you're able to lie on your right side by switching which end of the couch you lay your head, that may helps some, but it's not the best solution for the long term.

Sleeping on the floor could help - but I know that's not realistic for many of us (I could get down, but getting up again would be quite a problem).

Personally I'd recommend, if buying a mattress and box springs ins't feasible, an inflatable bed that is (or nearly is) the height of a standard bed. They have a variety of names, but we bought ours from Walmart for under $50.

Here's an example of one.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Qu...ir-Bed/3942890

We bought ours (two twin size, with automatic pumps) to use when we visit my family in Illinois. Neither hubby nor I can sleep on the floor, or on a couch. The ones we bought claimed to have a 300 lbs weight limit, but we bought them when I weighed nearly 400 lbs and hubby weighed more than that. The only difference I noticed when I weighed more was that the bed would need to be pumped up a bit more often. We would leave the beds inflated, and would have to add more air every day. Now that we've lost considerable weight, we only have to add more air every other day or so (which is why I'd recommend getting a bed with an automatic pump built into the bed - it's just a matter of flipping a switch).

To me, they're not as comfortable as a regular bed - but they're MUCH more comfortable than a couch. Hubby actually prefers the air bed to his regular bed, so it may be a matter of preference.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-30-2010 at 12:37 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

You might check wal-greens if you have one in your area. My mother bought an air bed there for 10 bucks. Did not self inflate.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/145 HW: 232

Height: 5' 9"

Butter_butt, could you explain what you mean by having systemic candidiasis? A systemic infection means that the fungus has reached your blood and that you should be in the hospital. Who told you that you had a systemic infection?
To me your description of the lesion sounds like an abscess. Is it hot and/or tender? Are there red streaks coming from the rash(besides the scratch marks)? I think you need to get that baby lanced and drained and you probably need some oral antibiotics. Please find a free clinic ASAP.

If you have diabetes then it is even more urgent that you get to see a medical professional. I have seen a lot of this type of thing in the office and they NEVER go away without medical attention.

Best of luck hon. Thinking of you.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote