Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #1  

Default I'm going to do it! TT and breast augmentation advice wanted please

I've finally decided to do it. I'm going to have a tummy tuck and possibly breast augmentation. The surgery is tentatively scheduled for July 29th. I am about 99.9% sure about the TT and I have a second consult for my breasts tomorrow.

I'm scared...

Not at all of the pain...I have a high pain tolerance. But I am worried about complications and not having the results I want. I've seen too many "when plastic surgery goes wrong" shows I think. I've done my homework and the surgeons I have chosen are some of the best in the country. I am confident that if something did go wrong it wouldn't be due to their lack of competency.

I just wanted to start a What to Expect When You Are Getting Plastic Surgery After Major Weight Loss thread. LOL

Please share you stories...good and bad I just want to talk to some people who have been there and done it.
Deelighted4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Congratulations! Have you read this thread? It's got tons of great info.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/170/145

Height: 5'3

When I was 17 I had breast reduction surgery. I weighed 175 at the time and was a size DDD/E and I have scoliosis.

I cheered for six years until the back pain became too harsh--I was at the chiropractor 3x a week and physical therapy 2. Not to mention I had a prick for a math teacher (sorry, thats the nicest word I could come up with) that would make comments about my weight and breast size (he was a very very cruel man that played a huge part in my weight gain and self body image).

Needless to say, I went with breast reduction surgery to try and help some things. My back was great but I still felt horrible about myself and continued to gain weight (about 60 more lbs after the original 15ish I put on after the teacher started harrassing me.)

It was done as an outpatient procedure so I got to go home later that day. It was about a three hour operation and I became a very full C after all of the swelling went down. I was on pain meds for the first day and then took one the follwing day.

It was very easy though and I would do it all over again if I had to decide again.

After all is said and done I am thankful I went through with things. However, It was not a fix for all of my problems. I believe after I reach goal I will also be wanting a TT and perhaps another breast augmentation (after kids of course :P ). After all, reaching goal (100 lbs lost in my case) is a MAJOR life accomlishment that should have its rewards!!!
chels38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/170/145

Height: 5'3

Oh, I also do have some scarring, nothing major though. I was with my now fiance then and he was soo supportive so the scars dont bother either of us. But the surgeon did stress it as something too keep in mind while I was comteplating the operation. ) I hope some of this helps, I know the operations aren't the smae exactly, but hey, advice is advice and this is a pretty big decision!
chels38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #5  

Jennifer - LOL yeah I read that thread a looong time ago and forgot about it. I should have looked there first though!

The prices need to be updated I think...either that or my surgeon is just expensive.

Chels - thanks for you feedback. I used to have 42 DD's when I was at my largest. I never had problems thankfully...but now I am a 34 B only because of all the skin...now I just want implants to fill them back up. I just don't want to go too big. I also don't know if I will be happy with the results. The Dr. said I was kind of walking the line as far as whether or not he would be willing to do imlants without a lift. I don't want a lift at all...but I don't want just implants if the results won't be awesome.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I'm five months out from my breast augmentation procedure. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have, feel free to PM me!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

Height: 5'8"

I have my breast augmentation consult scheduled for the 22nd. I too am scared for the same reasons. I fear that I am going to spend so much money on this and not get what I want out of it.

I have gone back and forth a lot on this because of my mom's experience with plastic surgery. She had a face lift and they cut some of the nerves in her face. Now, for the rest of her life she has to be on painkillers because spicy foods, sour foods, extreme temperatures, etc cause excruciating pain.
The way I look at it is, each person is different and will get different results. In some ways it is a gamble, and in some ways there are ways to maximize your chances of "getting lucky." For example, the doctor that will be doing mine ONLY does breasts...just as you said that your doctors are some of the best in the country. So I'm willing to take the risk and sounds like you are too!
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #8  

Ok so here is the up date. I had a second consult with my PS yesterday. It is now official I am having the TT on July 29th. I am holding off on the breasts for now...partly for financial reasons and partly because I am not 100% comfortable going up to the size of implant he feels I would need inorder for to fill out the skin.

The surgeon that will be doing my procedure is world renowned for belt lipectomies and would prefer to see me have that rather than just a tummy tuck. I don't feel that my backside is all that bad and I am just not comfortable with that much scaring. It also just feels too invasive to me. I asked him what would be optimal to accomplish the best results with the least invasiveness possible. He felt that the best way to go would be to do some minor lipo to my backside and extend the incision out further. This is going to raise the cost a bit but I am feeling pretty confident that this is what I want...I still have my worries...and I keep coming back to whether holding off on the breasts really is best. uhg...so many decisions. July 29th feels so soon and yet so far way!