Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #16  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I feel your pain! I am 5'10, my hands are bigger than my husband's (I cannot get his wedding ring on my ring finger!), and he and I can wear the same shoes (W11, M9). He is 5'8, so heels really are out for me, LOL! I have broad shoulders (BFF's hubby affectionately calls me a "linebacker breeder"). I could lose every ounce of fat and I would still not be small.

I have always been a bit of a tomboy anyway, and I ride horses so my usual style is jeans, cowboy boots and t-shirts. I always hated when I had to get dressed up and wear "girl clothes". As a nurse I wear scrubs to work, so no real style there. As I lose I am envisioning myself in cute skirts and tops, but I don't think that will ever be me. I can clean up good when I want to, but I am a farm kid no matter what!

It is worth repeating: be yourself and wear what you like. Your style will shape itself.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #17  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I am 57 I love to shop at thrift stores I live near some larger areas so when I go there they have some that are as big as supermarkets with everything divided and sized ect. You can try all kinds of styles you would never try at pennies. I change style from day to day girlie, sporty, sofisticated too young I have alot of fun.

Last edited by devadiva; 06-15-2009 at 11:27 PM.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

This is an interesting question. As I've gotten closer to my goal, I've been finding dresses that are so cute, and I love the way they look on me. Problem? The crowd I hang out with isn't a dress-wearing crowd! Even though these are casual dresses, I would still look so overdressed going out with my jeans and t-shirt wearing buddies. I totally wish I could be one of those girls who wears cute, casual skirts & dresses on a regular basis - but I would look so out of place anywhere I go, and with anyone I go out with!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #19  

Height: 4'11"

I think when I hit goal the most important factor in my style will be exactly what it is now: COMFORT! I just do not see the point in wearing something uncomfortable no matter how great it looks or how fashionable it is.

As I lose weight I'm sure dresses will be a lot more comfortable (no thighs rubbing together) heels will probably be more comfortable too, so I may end up wearing a lot more girlie stuff, or who knows I may not. I'm definitely a jeans and t-shirt girl right now, and I'm fine with that. Whatever transformation takes place in my closet, my comfort will be #1
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #20  

I'm reading this post and comparing it to a post I read on the Maintainer's Forum yesterday. For the OP (original poster), experimenting will be part of the fun of discovering what you LIKE once you can wear what you choose instead of what will 'work'.

As for the other stuff, I think we may be on the wrong track if we think all our self-esteem issues will be resolved through weight loss. I'm pretty sure it's going to improve my confidence (it already has) but what I read from those who have 'made it' seems to tell me that whatever 'issues' I had with myself before are still going to be there. The weight loss itself is NOT the transformation. It was a good reminder to keep at the 'mental' part of this challenge which involves a totally different kind of workout that cardio and weights.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote