Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #1  
ready 4 a re-birth ...

S/C/G: 5'2

Question My story ... with questions???

I will just give a quick break down of the last couple of years because my life is full of too much drama and medical issues (going back to when I was 18 and I am 32).

I was approved for lap band surgery in 2007. I started out at 311 lbs when I started the process, was 296 according to my surgeons surgery weight, and am current 140 lbs. So in regards to the surgery I took off 150 pounds at my one year check up with was 12-31-08. I work out seven days a week and see a trainer 2 times a week. I can probably count on one hand literally the amount of days at the gym that I have missed in the last year. Hence I have a body of hanging skin ... everywhere.

I went to the plastic surgeon in January of 2009 and he informed me that he has never had an insurance company cover any of the "cosmetic surgery" even though it really is more than cosmetic. He informed me that he has had them cover hernia repair and the skin removal portion (the medical term slipped my mind... can say it but not spell it, anyhoo...). He submitted the request to my insurance company (as background I had to fight my insurance company for my lap band surgery and went through two appeals, before the insurance board, and was fighting it outside the insurance company when they finally overtured their decision).

Due to the negative vibe I was getting from the surgeon about coverage, I had/have other medical things going on, and not ready for another denial or fight I ignored my mail for about ... two months. A couple of weeks ago I was procrastinating going to the gym so I decided to open some mail and the second letter from the insurance company that I opened they said that the procedure requested was ... APPROVED!!!! Yes I said ... APPROVED!!!! The letter was dated February tenth ... six weeks after I opened it

As you all may have guessed I was on the phone immediately to make an appointment for my next consult (4-13-09). My surgeon informed me that he would do my inner thighs, stomach, and arms. I do need a whole lower body lift, but he said he would not keep me under longer than five hours, and he would be pulling the front and back of me in different directions, plus I do not know how I am going to move afterward as is. I would love to have it done all at once so I do not have to go under the knife again and because financially I will have to pay for the OR and anesthesiologist. I will save money on the covered pocedure because my insurance company will pay some of those cost. I already got approved for a loan.

After all that... I know there are answers through the threads and I have read through a lot, but it seems like some questions are going unanswered. Did anyone have multiple procedures done at once and how really is the recovery. I heard I will be in severe pain especially the first week and the drains are very uncomfortable. Did anyone cut a deal with the surgeon where they gave you a bargin for having more done at a time. Did anyone have luck with cheap financing or finance it through the doctor's office. I never hear about anyone talking about the compression suits, but I heard you have to where them for about six months? Does anyone have a useful list of important questions that they asked their surgeon that they can share???

Thanks for any information and input and all would be greatly appreciated.

Take care
redE2b1lessphatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I wish I could help you, but I'm no wheres near my goal. I am interested to hear about what your experience is, so keep posting.
As for answers to your surgery questions, you may get more detailed and specific info from a plastic surgery forum as most people there will have first hand experience with those areas that you have questions about.
Congrats on your weight loss! Post before and afters, now and with respect to the surgery! You will be our newest expert in this area, I'm sure!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

This isn't something I've dealt with personally either but I do remember reading on an earlier thread here (I think it was here anyway) that someone opted to finance via a new credit card, so at least they got skymiles for it...best of luck.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #4  
ready 4 a re-birth ...

S/C/G: 5'2

Smile ...

I went to the plastic surgeon. I had some questions written down and got some good answers. I requested that the surgeon have some of his previous patients contact me so I could discuss the surgery. My surgery date is 6-10-09. Pretty scared, but just trying to think positively.
redE2b1lessphatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

There's a website called Make Me Heal. You might be able to find your answer there. The peeps are so nice there! :-)

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote