Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #1  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Default Saggy elephant skin

I have now developed in my inner thighs very saggy skin which looks like that of an elephant. I know this is due to the amount of weight that I have lost and poor elasticity in the skin.

Normally it does not really both me too much as I think of it as a badge of honour of my weight loss and besides when you have your clothes on it is not visible. In a few months time I am due to go on holiday and I would love to go swimming but I am self conscious of the skin. Would wearing a swimming costume with a skirt attached help hide this or would it draw attention to it.

I would love to hear from others who are in my position after weight loss and how you tackle the issue of going bathing.

Last edited by purpleorc; 07-14-2008 at 06:07 PM.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I don't have any advice for going bathing, though I imagine others definitely will I just wanted to tell you congratulations and bravo for your weight loss achievement!!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I have this too. On my upper legs, my stomach, and my upper arms, some on my neck too. It's icky, but far far preferable to what was there before! I think it's funny that when I weighed 245, I had really given up caring how I looked and so little things didn't bother me - when you are carrying 100 extra lbs. around, who really cares if your hair looks nice?
Now that I have lost some of it, I am starting to care again, and I find myself worrying about things like the skin.
But it IS a badge of honor as you say, and I'm sure it doesn't look as bad to anyone else as it does to you. I don't think a skirted bathing suit will hide OR emphasize the problem, but I love to swim and it's great exercise, so I am seen in a bathing suit at our pool all the time (without skirt). I hope you will don your bathing suit and enjoy your vacation and enjoy showing off how great you look after all that hard work. You've earned it!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Hey, I went through this just yesterday!

I wore a suit for the first time in a long time! What was unique about this day was that it was the first time I wore a suit with a "skirt" ever. I loved it.

My thighs are a part of me that I'm not the happiest with.

So, the last time I went shopping a few months ago, I bought a 2 piece swimsuit with a little skirted bottom (not a longer style as some are).

I had to try on every suit at Lane Bryant they had in my size to find ONE that fit!

Anyway, I had a coupon, so it was not too expensive. It's comfy, supportive in the bust and the skirt covers up just enough for me to fell less self conscious OUT of the pool.

Ill post a link if it's still on the site later. Here it is! http://www.lanebryant.com/pagebuilde...599&pagesize=3

I have a coupon code if you decide to get a suit there (if they even have your size, they may all be too big. BUT at anyrate, I now see you are in the UK, so that may not be an option ).

I hope you find what makes YOU feel most comfortable and really enjoy the outing.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 07-14-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Link
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I found a black suit with a neckline that flatters the "girls" and a skirt to cover my saggy thighs (which I have as well).

I found that the strategy works beautifully
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

That LB suit is really cute! You guys must be in better shape than me because to cover the saggy saddlebags, I would need a knee length skirt on my suit!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I have those thighs too. Last year I bought a suit with a skirt, but I didn't like the look, and this year I'm just not worrying about it. I bought suits without skirts and I'm just going to end up exposing my thighs. Oh well!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #8  

I know what you mean. I lost 60 pounds and am now a size 6/8. I still hide my thighs, even though size is not the issue. I have saggy, wrinkled skin on my upper thighs, and stretch marks. I love wearing a skirted bottom. But it has to be the right length. If its too short it just accentuates the worst. If it falls just below my troubled area, it looks great! Enjoy your holiday and I hope you find a swimsuit that makes you feel comfortable!
CRUISINANLOSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #9  
MSer living healthy

Thanks to all of you who have took their time to answer my dilemma. Glad to know that their are others who have lost a considerable amount of weight have the same issues as myself. No one I know has the same problems as I do so I have been comforted that my badge of honour is shared by others.

I think at the end of the day I will have to try on numerous bathing costumes until I find one I am happy with and is easy to put on. ( have ms so dressing now takes some thought no fiddly buttons or clasps to do up) Knowing me I will be drawn to something that is purple hence my name because of the love of this colour
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I am so there with the bathing suit issue! I have tried a lot on and hate them all. Right now I have a 2 piece with the cute boy shorts type bottom and a long top. I wear an exercise type shirt over the whole thing and it's tolerable if it's hot and I really want to swim. I'm having an awful time with tops. I need a lot of support (duct tape might work) but I also need the top high enough all around that the girls don't try to escape by flopping over. It's all rather sad but much better than before.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #11  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

We found something that works great is tennis skirts. They have built in panties. Fit great. Look great and you can swim in them also.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #12  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I hate my thighs, so I always wear a swimsuit with either a skirt or shorts. They have some really stylish looking ones that won't make you look like a doofus, or draw attention to your thighs and actually a lot of them look pretty "sporty."
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #13  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

The saggy skin is actually one of my only worries with weight loss!

I really hope being 23 helps with the elasticity, but then, I'm pretty darn large (220 at 5'3'') so....I'm fairly sure I can expect some!

...but with that being said, I'd much rather have that than the 220 lbs ^^ Congratulations to you all on your weight loss!
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #14  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Skirted suits are great!!! In addition to that buy a sarong wrap so when you aren't swimming you can cover your legs with the sarong for walking around etc. I found this works really well at the beach and I am far less self conscious. I did this the last time I lost weight as well.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #15  
MSer living healthy

Thanks for your help in this matter with my bathing costume.
Quote:
CyndiM I am so there with the bathing suit issue! I have tried a lot on and hate them all. Right now I have a 2 piece with the cute boy shorts type bottom and a long top. I wear an exercise type shirt over the whole thing and it's tolerable if it's hot and I really want to swim. I'm having an awful time with tops. I need a lot of support (duct tape might work) but I also need the top high enough all around that the girls don't try to escape by flopping over. It's all rather sad but much better than before.
I will keep the duct tape in mind to keep my "girls in order" That is one area of my body that has not shrunk in comparison with with everything else. I have come to the conclusion that I just am big chested and nothing is going to disguise the "girls"

Quote:
Shy Moment We found something that works great is tennis skirts. They have built in panties. Fit great. Look great and you can swim in them also.
Thanks for this idea it is certainly something I had never thought about using tennis attire.

Quote:
KLK I hate my thighs, so I always wear a swimsuit with either a skirt or shorts. They have some really stylish looking ones that won't make you look like a doofus, or draw attention to your thighs and actually a lot of them look pretty "sporty."
Great I would quite fancy looking "sporty" for once I can look like a doofus quite easily without any help with having problems with my mobility due to MS. Sometimes I walk like I have been sniffing the hard stuff

Quote:
flabbyblue The saggy skin is actually one of my only worries with weight loss!

I really hope being 23 helps with the elasticity, but then, I'm pretty darn large (220 at 5'3'') so....I'm fairly sure I can expect some!

...but with that being said, I'd much rather have that than the 220 lbs ^^ Congratulations to you all on your weight loss!

I really thought when I began my weight loss journey that I would be bothered by saggy skin but in actual fact my joy in losing the bulk of my weight took over and I was no where near so self conscious and bothered by it.

No one can say for definite that you will have saggy skin though your age is in your favour in this case. There is likely to be more elasticity than mind as I am nigh on double your age at 43 (44 this year). The main thing is you have done something positive for yourself and made steps to improve your health dramatically with having a healthier diet.

Quote:
lifechange Skirted suits are great!!! In addition to that buy a sarong wrap so when you aren't swimming you can cover your legs with the sarong for walking around etc. I found this works really well at the beach and I am far less self conscious. I did this the last time I lost weight as well.
Gosh I had forgot about the sarong I will have to get mind out of the cupboard. I bought it for a holiday in Malta where you where not allowed to go in certain areas unless you where more covered up.