Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #1  
I ♥ TRANCE

Angry Stretch Marks

I was wondering, how on earth am I gonna get rid of these stretch marks from ****?
Mika n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Do a search, there are NUMEROUS threads on this topic but the basics are, see a dermatologist, moisturize, request a cream (Retin-A works if they are still red or purple), see about getting them re pigmented with "Relume" from a MediSpa or Plastic Surgeon after they are silver, have surgery to cut them off (and then sport scars instead) or make peace with them!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Do a search, there are NUMEROUS threads on this topic but the basics are, see a dermatologist, moisturize, request a cream (Retin-A works if they are still red or purple), see about getting them re pigmented with "Relume" from a MediSpa or Plastic Surgeon after they are silver, have surgery to cut them off (and then sport scars instead) or make peace with them!
Ummm..... what she said.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #4  
Dieting Diva

Make peace with them!
After three breast fed babies, two of which were c sections and 40 something years of never being underweight I have stretch marks on the thighs, breasts, hips and belly. They are not going anywhere. They are part of the package.

I am just happy it's a smaller package.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #5  
I ♥ TRANCE

Thanks all!
But how am I gonna tell that to a 15 year old ?!
It's understandable cuz ur a mom, but she's only 15. She works out, I guess the problem is that she's constantly losing then gaining pounds!
But still.. I guess I gotta take her to the dermatologist then.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 294/264/140

Height: 5'6"

Wait- the stretch marks from **** you're referring to are on a 15 year old? I can see offering to take her to a dermatologist if she's really upset by them, but I'd really try to emphasize their being a normal occurance, especially in someone who is still growing.
khep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #7  
I ♥ TRANCE

True. But there's a limit I guess. She's got them on her inner thighs, calves and starting from the top of her sides till the upper part of he thighs. Most of them are still red and others are shiney! She's not over weight though. Full would be the word!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #8  
Co-Mod

MANY women have strech marks in those areas. It is normal. She is still young and growing and strech marks occur during periods of growth in people (in heigh or width, ect). This is NORMAL and means that she is growing up and becoming a woman.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 294/264/140

Height: 5'6"

I fully agree with shrinkingchica! I think the best thing you could do as her father (?) is to tell her she's beautiful and that it's a normal occurance.
khep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I got my first stretch marks with puberty, I wasn't overweight at all, I just grew hips and breasts more quickly that my skin could keep up with. The stretchmarks on my breasts faded practically to nothing (which is GOOD because in their initial bright red glory I thought I would never be able to be naked in front of a man) and the ones on my hips are faded to silver. Those stretch marks are just natural and lots and lots and lots of women have them.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

May I suggest changing YOUR reaction to her stretch marks? You could be creating an insecurity monster that might have only been a nuisance if you didn't confirm that you think there is something horribly wrong with them. One of the biggest lessons we females have to learn (and sooner rather than later would save her a LOT of pain and anguish) is how to be comfortable in the skin we're in. She's growing, her body is going through tremendous changes, and 15 yr old skin has a tremendous capacity to heal itself. Let her know the stretch marks are normal, no big deal, and will probably fade to unnoticeable in a couple of years. Teach her to love herself AS IS.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #12  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Ok since we're on the topic of stretch marks...I feel so disgusted with myself. I have stretch marks on my belly, forearms, shoulders, and lower back. I have come to a conclusion that I can never wear tank tops or bikinis. I haven't been in a pool since I was 10 yrs old!! Now my only option if I want to get rid of these is surgery When I get married I want to be able to wear a strapless dress but I suppose that's out of the question at this point
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #13  
Co-Mod

Surgery doesn't get rid of all of the stretch marks. Only some extra skin. I still have loads of stretch marks all over my body and they will never ever go away. But that doesn't mean that I cover myself up from head to foot! And even though I still have stretch marks on my tummy, back, arms, legs and heck, even shoulders; I am still going to wear a bikini on my vacation this year.

You have to decide if you are going to let that hold you back from wearing a strapless dress or a bathing suit. I wouldn't. Life is too short.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #14  

Okay. This works like MAGIC for me. I keep having to reapply it daily, and if I miss a few days they get darker again. So I'm still in a testing phase so far - but I found out about it from my best friend who's a body builder in New Zealand.

It's called bio oil, and you can find it at www.walgreens.com. I'm thinking it was like 12 dollars for two ounces of it. I bought to little things of it, and the first is still half full and I've had it a month. A little goes a really long way.

It's a pinkish orangish color. It has an unusual but nice smell. It's a dry oil, so it's not really annoying and staining like babyoil. Um... I don't know what else I can say about it. It's been out in places like the UK and Australia for years -but if you're in the US it's not exactly well known. Apparently rite-aid has it, but our local one didn't so I got it from walgreens online.

It's all I've used for mine, but it's working. (Btw. I'm a 5'4" 155 lb female, who gained a very good bit of weight VERY fast from birth control shots, and the weight loss had left my legs worryingly liney with stretch marks. I had people approaching me asking what I'd done to myself. Now I can actually go out in public in shorts )

Seriously. Bio oil. That's my vote.
RisskyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/229/155

Height: 5'8"

I might be a little off in the name, but give Biovergitures from Biotherm a try. It's not a "miracle" cream but I found it does what it says: reduces the appearance of stretch marks.

The earlier you use it, the more effective in helping fade the look of the marks. I'd say by the start of the second tube, she'll see a difference. Also if she's 15, using those types of creams can help reduce/prevent new marks. It's normal as she is growing, along with weight fluctuations.

Again, I'm not saying this is a miracle in a tube--it won't erase the marks-- but of all the products I've tried, this one helped me the best. If the marks are deep, or years old...it will help a little.

Pricey but worth it.
Belle Jour is offline   Reply With Quote