The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #46  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

LOL - not to mention a PAID ITALIAN WEDDING AND HONEYMOON. We're talking like 15 000 $$$ if they really covered the WHOLE thing!

(I still wouldn't want the whole world to know my buisness...)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #47  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
LOL - not to mention a PAID ITALIAN WEDDING AND HONEYMOON. We're talking like 15 000 $$$ if they really covered the WHOLE thing!

(I still wouldn't want the whole world to know my buisness...)
More like 30000

I did not like that the timeline was 6 weeks. 30 lbs in 6 weeks for mom, 50 for dad. I dont like that the show is continuing to promote the uber rapid weightloss of TBL. On the other hand I know for me I was stuck in an emotional rut and only RADICAL change shook me out of it.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #48  

Height: 5'4"

I felt uncomfortable watching them force grown adults to blubbering tears. I wouldn't want to talk about my dead child either. Seemed cruel. It seems another way for people to make someone else do the work for them and then when they're gone they might give up. They certainly know how to diet. They all lost a lot of weight but return to old habits. Diets are for life.. not just 6 months. I dunno. I watched it obviously but felt weird with the screaming and yelling and concerned someone might have a heart attack (especially when yo yo dieting). I certainly felt it was disrespectful to air the baby's death on tv and then blame it for the weight gain?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/164

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesomebody View Post
I certainly felt it was disrespectful to air the baby's death on tv and then blame it for the weight gain?
Wannanesomebody- I agree that it was disrespectful to air that type of emotional painful event on tv, but I speak from experience when I say the loss of a child is definately a factor in weight gain. I lost my son at one month old and the depression greatly impacted my weight gain. There are many other factors since but honestly that triggered it. I felt for that mother greatly, I hate that nobody acknowledge's my son except my husband & I. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be if we didn't support each other. I thought that was a huge problem in that family. However that being said I would never go through that on tv for the world to see. Many people have done much worse for their 5 minutes of fame though...

I love Jillian, but I was really "put off" by the start of the show... Right to the gym getting screamed at!! I was worried the father was going to have a heart attack!!

I liked the show for the most part and would watch it again!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #50  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I agree the loss of a child and not dealing with that loss is ABSOLUTELY a reason someone would gain weight. For me it took events FAR LESS traumatic and life changing to eat my feelings and hide behind my weight.

I liked the show, I'll watch again. But, I too felt like the beginning of the show they just wanted Jillian to yell. She didnt even need to yell when she started yelling.

Last edited by Hun.e.B; 06-04-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #51  
Token Vulcan

I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't see the mom talking about the baby's death as being disrespectful. She was his mom, she wanted to talk about him. She brought him up, she brought out the album, she allowed the cameras to show his photo. It came across to me that she felt she had had to keep quiet about him for so long so as not to rock the boat that now she wanted everyone to know this was her son, he had existed. The thing that made me uncomfortable was I felt that she kind of ambushed her husband and made him deal with it in front of the cameras. But, apparently, just like with her health, she seemed to need some kind of outside intervention, aka Jillian, to empower her to do it.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #52  
Melissa

Well I'll be in the minority with ya cuz I was crying right along with her. And I really hope it helped her heal. Did they ever show them getting the baby a headstone or did I miss it? Perhaps they kept it private.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #53  

Talking about the dead child is not a bad thing, doing it on national television does seem ... well, maybe not disrespectful, just wrong.
And Ellie, I was LOL-ing at your mention of Dr. Phil, because he's my other "least favorite person on TV" right up there with Jillian.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #54  
Melissa

I dont get why its wrong? I think this country needs to stop being so afraid to talk about the difficult topics. We have a whole country of people who would rather eat their feelings than talk about it. We hear about dead children on the news all the time. Why shouldnt this family talk about the child? is it better to pretend he never existed.? Because thats what they WERE doing and clearly that wasnt working.

It just seems to me that it was very brave of this family to choose to share their story and all the painful parts. I'm sure there are families out there who are going through the same thing, and seeing this family share and seeing how they started working through the pain together might help. I dunno...JMHO anyway.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #55  

Maybe it's just because I hate seeing the network (NBC) profiting from their pain. Like I said, I DO think they should talk about it. But I REALLY doubt that seeing them talk about it on national television would have been helpful to anyone. I had lost people near and dear to me and seeing them all hash it out rubbed me the wrong way, and it most certainly didn't help me in anyway.
I realize everyone is different, so I suppose it could have helped someone. By that logic, maybe it helped someone to see the mother screeching like a banshee at her husband in the gym when she was being his "trainer"? It made me very uncomfortable.
Anyway, my biggest problem with this show is not really the family. It's more the idea of "all these fat people just need someone to scream at them in order to get their butt in gear." I feel like the world already sees overweight people as lazy bums who just need to get off their ***. I don't need to see that idea reinforced.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #56  
Melissa

I agree, I dont think I'd respond the same way to the screeching at all, I would probably flip Jillian the bird and go on my merry way. I think thats why I've always liked bob better. Sure he has his screeching moments but they are usually warrented.

I didnt like that the way for the woman to empower herself was to yell at her husband??
Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #57  

AGREE! I have moments when I imagine Jillian trying to treat me the way she treats people on her shows... Let's just say in my imagination it doesn't end well for Jillian. I used to like her, but in the last few years, and having read some of her books, I've come to question her motives. IMHO she's in it for the money all the way and could care less about the people.
Most weight loss shows on TV these days have pretty much the same issues, with a couple of exceptions. "Ruby" for example on style network can be truly inspirational and as far as I can see manages to really be about her and her struggles, not about "let's kick all them fatties butts so they can lose weight".
There used to be "Diet Tribes" on lifetime, which was about a group of women trying to lose weight together and supporting each other through it. But it's not on anymore. Other than that, if I do watch "The Biggest Loser" on occasion, it's for the drama, not to get inspiration or weight loss tips.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #58  
Token Vulcan

Jillian posted about the yelling on her FB page:

"I see comments on here about my screaming at trainees. I'll explain to clarify. When people give up I use fear (of me) to push them past old beliefs of failure into achievement. Once they've completed the workout they thought they couldn't do i become irrelevant & they're left w/ the accomplishment. That accomplishment redefines their self image & their potential. Notice after I yell, they stop quitting & get better."
Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #59  
Melissa

eh whatever, she starts yelling before anyone says anything about quitting. she just likes to yell, thats her thing. Some people like it and respond to it, others dont.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 215/211/150

Height: 5'1

I am warming up to her show. Tonight it got preempted by Tom Izzo's speech.