The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #46  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
so then why not avoid it all together, if it bothers you so badly why would you participate in a chat about it...to each her own, I'm just not one who keeps talking about things that bring my life angst that to me just invites negativity.
For the most part, I have avoided the show, and the related threads here. I do not walk away when friends and aquaintences discuss the show, and generally do not participate beyond saying that I don't care for the show. If they ask why, I tell them.

As to why I discuss things that I do not agree with, I can only say because I find it interesting and informative to do so. As to why I came into this thread and participated in the discussion - the title of the thread piqued my curiousity. I wondered how extreme the latest season had become. The show and it's existence does not cause me "angst" anymore than other difficult subjects of theology, psychology, sociology, politics, ethics, ecology. If I only could discuss things I embraced and agreed with entirely, there's not a lot I could discuss (and even less that anyone else would be interested in).

I think that "avoiding negativity," is not always always a desireable or honorable action. I discuss difficult and "deep" topics, because they exercise both my intellect and my ethics. To only discuss "positive," topics is to pretend that negativity does not exist. If darkness is not discussed, it will prevail.

"‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing," or perhaps in this case "say nothing." I'm not saying that TBL is evil, but I don't think that the merit of something should be discussed only based on whether it is pleasant or positive, or for that matter negative or evil. The conversation and sharing of opinions has value in and of itself.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #47  
Empress/Queen

Actually I am of the opinion that the seasons have gotten progressively less extreme and that the attitude of really caring for and embracing as friends in some cases the contestants by the BL staff has increased, but then there it is, that's just my opinion and we all have one.

Re negativity and positivity, everyone has a right to their opinion, although it's nice to remember sometimes that BL is entertainment that appeals to many people (me, for one, though, no, I don't think it's perfect, it is what it is) and that's why sometimes on these kinds of BL forums, people get into no win discussions because, well, some of us just enjoy it.

Glad we have folks always willing and able to discuss the negative otherwise we'd just go on enjoying it and being happy about the success stories.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #48  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I think you are right Janga, thats why people like Vicki and Ron were such villians, they really have embraced supporting each other I think anyway. It always gets the tears flowing for me when they go back and help the last person trailing along, I dunno why that gets my feelers everytime! I absolutely adore this show!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #49  
Empress/Queen

Smile

Lol, so do I, Melissa!

Although, I do have my less than favorite people, but I still applaud them and their efforts and their successes.

Ron was a big favorite of mine this season.

Sigh, I am having BL withdrawal at the moment, which is why I keep reading all the forums about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
I think you are right Janga, thats why people like Vicki and Ron were such villians, they really have embraced supporting each other I think anyway. It always gets the tears flowing for me when they go back and help the last person trailing along, I dunno why that gets my feelers everytime! I absolutely adore this show!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #50  
Melissa

See I couldnt stand Tara all season long, but I would have been totally okay with her taking the prize, as much as i didnt like her she did kick butt and she looked great in the end! I didnt mind Ron, but he has been my biggest inspiration this season and it took the marathon to do it. I have total BL withdrawl myself!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #51  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

VICKY was icky...
Vicki is good... that's me ~ Get it right girls.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #52  
Melissa

ooops sorry Vix!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

See, I think the show is still great, and we have to realize that it's still a 'show', so things will be extreme. As for Jillian yelling and jumping and all that, just think- she suddenly has to train people who have 20, 30, 40 YEARS of bad self-esteem, bad habits, and troubled minds. One person gets sent home each week. She must absolutely SCARE them and SHAKE them into changing those decades of self-loathing and bad habits in order to save their lives. And for the one person who will only be on the ranch for 1 week, she only has 1 week to shake them so severely that they'll change their life. That's why I am so impressed with what she does.