The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #1  
Mommyhood1226

S/C/G: 138/138/128

Height: 5'5"

Default Jillian's Diet Help

I just started "making the cut" diet by jillian michaels and the workouts are killer. the only thing is that she gives you a planned menu in the book...and i know my husband needs way more calories than that. The problem is, he was eating 1450 calories a day on 3 hour diet and was losing. This program calculates he should have about 1900-2000...but he's confused because he doesn't want to maintain his weight, he wants it off. So, does anyone know how many calories her daily menu is? how do i correctly add more?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Calories should not be the same for every person, it depends on so many factors. I have her first book, Winning by Losing, and she has a whole formula thing that helps you calculate your weekly calories, then suggests you split them out to a different number each day so your body doesn't plateau. it is extremely accurate for me, when I do that at the beginning of the week and stick under that weekly limit, I lose at least what I calculated for.

She uses a math formula, which accounts for your activity level, age, sex, current weight, height, and exercise calories burned. I can post it all if you want...though I would assume it's probably in the other book as well?

In my book Jillian says a man should never go below 1500 a day, and women never below 1200 a day. the more exercise you are doing, the more it drives your calories for the week up, and as you weigh less your calories go down some, etc. I think this would have to be in the her second book somewhere, but if not I can post it for you here. Once you learn the little formula it doesn't take long to figure your weekly calories...and since I have to put in my exercise it helps me plan that for the week as well.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #3  
Mommyhood1226

S/C/G: 138/138/128

Height: 5'5"

Default ok thanks, but also...

ok i think i understand. So i calculate the BMI he needs for this week...stick to that number for the whole first week. Then, Week 2 i recalculate it and stick to that number for the week...etc. Correct? Most likely the calories will go down..since he will be losing weight, right? He's 210 pounds, 5;11". probably needs around 1900 a day to start i'm thinking. Could you tell me how many calories you are eating and losing weight with? i'm 5;5" and 135 pounds. I'm just tryiing to get cut up and lose that belly fat and thighs. thanks for the help
Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #4  

You don't just stick to the BMI. She calculates the BMR, using these formulas:

MEN: 66 + (6.3 X body weight in lbs) + (12.9 X height in inches) - (6.8 X age in years)

WOMEN: 655 + (4.3 X weight in lbs) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 X age in years)

Then you get a # for activity level (not including exercise, just basically your daily activity level for work, etc.

1.1 = sedentary (desk job, sitting down most of day)

1.2 = light physical activity (on your feet or walking for half of the day or more, stay at home mom, salespeople, doctor, etc)

1.3 = Moderate (move pretty heavy most of the day, carpenters, gardeners, etc.)

1.4 = High (constantly on the move and significant amounts of manual labor, construction workers, farmers, etc.)

Then figure how many calories you burn through exercise. I only figure in the amount I know I will definitely do, because it does raise your calories then if you dont' do it all, you could gain. So I figure in a small amount of exercise and if I do more it's only going to help. She has a chart in the book to use for guessing, findyour weight and activity and it gives an estimate of what you might burn in an hour. I can post for you the estimates for your weight if you want, or you might have a guess if you wear a HRM.

So, you take your BMR and multiply by your Daily Activity score, then multiply that by 7 (or number of days you are wanting to lose in, this woudl be for a week), then add i your exercise expenditure for the week. That is what you'd need to maintain. You subtract out 3500 calories for every pound you'd like to lose....that becomes your weekly calorie limit and she suggests you spread it out to a different number of calories each day, and it prevents a plateau. I like this because if I know I'm eating out one day or something I can put higher calories on that day, it jsut fits easily into my life that way.

Remember, don't go below 1200 for women, 1500 for men, so what I do is subtract out my calories for 3 lbs, then divide that by 7 for my daily average, if it is below 1200 then I redo it for 2 lb., etc. the only way to up it so you can eat more calories and lose more is to add in more exercise...but then you have to really do it!

Her book really made me realize the only way to do this is to change my lifestyle and get my butt moving. I usually eat between 1500 and 1700 calories a day, when I am exercising at least an hour or two a day. When I can't do that, I readjust the calories and eat 1200-1500 a day to account for less calorie burning....but that's based on my age, activity level, etc. so everyone is going to be different.

But, just sticking to your BMI is only going to help you maintain I think, plus it doesn't account for everything that goes into weight. This way I'm posting looks time consuming, but really once you have it down, all you do is plug in the numbers for your BMR each week and the rest is real simple and fast. I write my calories down for the week and that's it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #5  

From the calorie expenditure chart in the book, for 135 lb. person...I would have to go with the column for 125 lb. since that is closest to your weight:

(these are all for an hour, so chop it down if you do less)

walking 4 mph, 249 calories
jogging 5 mph, 426 cal.
swimming, 249 cal.
cycling 13 mph, 610 cal.
heavy aerobic, 494
light weights, 222 cal.
intense weights, 392 cal.

the next column would be for 150 lb. person, and it is about 50 calories higher than the 125, so you will probably burn a little more than what i posted here, but this is just to give you a general guess. She strongly suggests a heart rate monitor to know for sure, but I have been using her numbers and it has worked for me. I usually lose more than what I aim for if I truly stick to the calories and get that exercise in.

For a 210 lb. person, would have to go with the 200 lb. column (same activities in same order as above, just going to post numbers here):

He's going to burn more because he's heavier, and again the next column goes up about 50 more calories so he's going to burn around what I posted here, maybe a few calories more per hour.

This way wont' be for everyone because it does take a bit of planning at the beginning of the week...deciding the minimum exercise you can commit to that week, write it down, figure the calories, write down for each day and you have a little plan and can look forward to a loss if you stick with it. It has worked for me...I can't imagine none of this is in her new book though.