The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #16  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

That was a very interesting eye-opener. I suggest people spend time reading the National Weight Control Registry. This site has really been a huge help to me on what is and is not realistic about maintaining weight-loss. This link will take you to a simple facts page. http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm
Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #17  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Some of the folks in this article will most likely appear in the reunion show tonight on NBC at 9 pm....
Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #18  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I like watching the show for motivation, but I do know that their results aren't realistic. Strict calorie restriction while doing 6 hours of exercise every day is grueling on the body. Muscle weighs more than fat--and I do think that those who stayed the longest lost just as much of their muscle mass as they did fat. That and every single "last chance workout" = getting as dehydrated as possible before stepping on the scales. Burning 1,000 calories before a weigh-in isn't going to tip the scales, but losing the amount of water you lose burning 1,000 might.

Still, watching the rapid progression from obese to normal weight over the course of the show inspires me, even if it's not realistic. If I had a TV at my disposal, I'd be watching that show tonight. For now, I'll have to settle for downloading it off the 'net. I'm going home to fetch my TV this weekend...so I'll be able to watch then!