Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #16  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris2008 View Post
Novus - I just read your running article. Are you just starting out?! I think I will try it but I'll have to work up to 2 minutes/2 minutes X 7. I think I can run for 2 minutes but I think my recovery will be a bit longer. And I don't think I should do X 7 right at the beginning - I will be too sore to do it again in 2 days. I'm going to try to run 3 times at first then increase. I'm lucky at my old age I don't have any injuries except a sore hip when I neglect my yoga. Maybe I can do this! I do remember that the pounds fly off when you run! It's dark now so off to the treadmill!
If you've never run before I recommend the Couch to 5K program. I went from "I am going to die" on Day 1 to my first 5K race in just 6 weeks (though I did walk quite a bit of the race). The intervals are just perfect for allowing you to improve your distance without ever feeling overwhelmed or in excruciating pain. I really cannot recommend it highly enough! (And there's a whole thread here on 3FC of people who are doing it so you'd have tons of support and motivation.)

I did Couch to 5K back in 2010 but really haven't run since then (except for a few runs and the Color Run 5K last year). The running program I'm doing now is a bit more advanced than Couch to 5K but it about matches where I'm at now as far as endurance. I hope to progress to a 10K training program next week.

Also, make sure you are wearing proper shoes. Go to a running store and have them analyze you and make a recommendation. I cannot stress this enough! It will save you a lot of pain and potential injury. And the right shoes just make running seem easier.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Thanks for info, Novus. I got on treadmill last night and my hip was really sore so I had to modify my plan. Kept to a slow jogging stance lifting my thighs more for about 20 minutes then walked it out for another 20 minutes. Trying to get my thigh, hip and shin muscles used to the bigger movement without making my hip worse. Hip actually feels better today since I worked it a bit last night.

I actually have the Couch to 5k on my phone, but never used it. I'll have to get into this slowly! But wouldn't it be wonderful to run 3 miles at once!

(My hip was especially sore because I was sitting wrong at the computer for an hour before I got on treadmill! Wait, I'm doing it now! Must put feet flat on floor, not up under my butt.)
Old 06-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #18  

Weigh-in tomorrow, chickadees!

Last Chance Workout Day!!!!! I'm off to walk outside - then yoga. Then the elliptical and treadmill late afternoon/evening.

What are you doing? Let's make our own luck!

Last edited by kris2008; 06-14-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #19  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Thanks for info, Novus. I got on treadmill last night and my hip was really sore so I had to modify my plan. Kept to a slow jogging stance lifting my thighs more for about 20 minutes then walked it out for another 20 minutes. Trying to get my thigh, hip and shin muscles used to the bigger movement without making my hip worse. Hip actually feels better today since I worked it a bit last night.
Are you stretching before and after you run? I use this list of stretches. I notice a HUGE difference when I don't stretch enough, especially in my hips and quads. And a lot of runners swear by foam rollers for after runs; I've never tried it though.

Also, SHOES. I started having a lot of hip and knee pain at one point when I was running in 2010. I went to the running store and the clerk looked at my shoes and said, "Well, of course you're having pain!" I bought new shoes and instantly....no more problems.

Last edited by Novus; 06-14-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #20  
Unstoppable Force

IT'S OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN DAY!!! DON'T FORGET!!!

We've already lost five people and (I think) three more people will be eliminated if they don't post for this week. And to put that into perspective, the Blue Team has also lost five people but only one person from their team could potentially be eliminated today. So it's crucial we keep as many people as we can!

Come on Red Team! Let's rock this challenge!

Also, since calculations aren't being done until late on Monday you can totally cheat about the time deadline. (I know a few people have already done that.) So if you miss the cut-off, go ahead and post something anyway!

Last edited by Novus; 06-15-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #21  

I had a back/hip injury 10 years ago and have numbness down right thigh to knee. If I stretch all day long and walk, it lessens the nerve pain and soreness from the hip down the front, side and back of leg. When I add yoga every single day, it's even better. But it's always numb. So running would really be a leap for me. But I am going to work on it!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #22  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

Weigh in day ladies!
I want crisps but am eating watermelon instead, and its actually not that bad. Healthy win!
Hope everyone is having a fab Sunday
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #23  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
I had a back/hip injury 10 years ago and have numbness down right thigh to knee. If I stretch all day long and walk, it lessens the nerve pain and soreness from the hip down the front, side and back of leg. When I add yoga every single day, it's even better. But it's always numb. So running would really be a leap for me. But I am going to work on it!
Maybe you should check with your chiropractor or doctor about running?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/165/120

Height: 5'3"

Getting my head back in the game this week. I'm especially being more aware of portion control. It's amazing how empowering it feels to act in control rather than putting up blinders.

I love the Couch to 5K concept! Will check that out!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #25  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Righto .. sorry peeps ... weekends are a hard thing for me to get on here time .. but its Monday morning ... will head off to start this weeks new chat thread soon (if I miss doing it now it will have to wait til I get home .. depends how long I have on my free wifi lol).

Hopefully everyone has managed to weigh in this week .. sorry I let the team down this week .. I knew my carb binge early last week would bite me in the butt .. but I did manage to lose most of the 5 pounds I put on so up 1 is better than it could have been

Have started again on Friday (which is my weigh in day) and am back to tracking my food rather than just estimating which really caused the problems cos I would get a little lax in my thoughts for it. Have put My Fitness Pal into my phone now so I can track it all day.

Off to the gym again this morning .. still have the blister on the ball of my foot but it hasn't popped so have put plasters over it and will try to get my 5km in again before work Determined to get at least 300 cal of a workout in lol .. and if I can do the 5km its a 600 cal workout

Cant see me ever running .. that is soooo not what I hope for lol .. I don't watch runners and think wow I wish I could do that .. nope .. but I do appreciate the effort that goes into it so applaud all of you giving that a go .. Im happy with my quick walking Was hard enough for me to run the last 50 meters at the Colour Run in March lol .. but we had agreed I would not be walking over the finish line .. Im working my way up to 10km walking cos I want to do the Round the Bays in Feb next year (did it this year but only did the 6.5km walk .. want to try to do the 10km walk next year ... after that its training for the half marathon ... walking/running mix.... maybe lol).

So better go and try to post the new thread before my time runs out .. I will get the nutrition and exercise one up too if I have time .. otherwise will do those ones tonight when I get home