Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2024 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 03-01-2024, 08:04 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday- 1st US edition of "A Study in Scarlet" by Arthur Conan Doyle published (1890)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another grand tour of errands in one continuous drive. Again, I felt like a general who had successfully planned an invasion. I had to pay a quarter at the meter to park at the library. Not a problem since I've stocked the center console of my car with quarters. But it does offend that part of me that wishes to flow with the wind. It did give me pleasure that I left 8 minutes on the meter for the next guy.

For those who followed the saga of searching for
Two Gardeners: Katharine S. White and Elizabeth Lawrence--A Friendship in Letters, Two Gardeners: Katharine S. White and Elizabeth Lawrence--A Friendship in Letters,
recall that I'd only found one for $150. Silverbirch had found one for half that - but no lower. Much to the giggles of my children, I'd given DW a library copy for one of her Christmas gifts. Just now I got a notice from eBay for a copy delivered for $12.87. DW, walking by my office, declined, "I've read it; loved it; don't want to own it." Even the one offered on Amazon by the link above is priced lower than when I was looking last November. Have to wonder if the high price was noted and bunches of folks found their old copies to put up for sale to get a pocket full of egg money - driving down the price. Simply noting this since owning a book store is one of my dream jobs.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was delayed because my grand tour of errands culminated with a visit to the doctor's office without time for lunch. Much to my surprise, I felt hunger for half an hour then I forgot about it. Someone should write a book noting that Hunger is Not an Emergency.

Silverbirch - So fun that you got out for "a few blasts of fresh air." Learned the term AGA Saga as a genre of fiction, presumably about those using an AGA Cooker. For those in the US who are smitten, we can order a new one for $24,583.51 from here. Sorry for the diversion; sending best wishes for you to solve your immediate cooker problem.

maryann – Congrats for working so diligently with the resources available to you. I admire that you want to get back to school to support your kids even though you're in the middle of stuff yourself.

curlyjax - Such good news that you feel well enough to post on your first day post op. And even to walk! Had to google Prevena - a new thing for me. Your DD will be using some neat recently invented tools in her care of patients. May your recovery continue so well.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Where to Go from Here

For example, many dieters have told me that for the first time they found that they were also able to overcome such challenges as smoking, overspending, and procrastinating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 204.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I felt worse yesterday at times but my fever is better today. It's a challenge to time the pain meds as I'm trying to lengthen the hours between taking the oxycodone, in part because it makes me sleepy. So far I don't have the depression of last time thankfully. The sun really helps as does knowing spring is around the corner.
I met with the home PT yesterday and really like her. She is seasoned and sensible. She will help me change bandages and then take the staples out. She thinks I'm doing quite well so that is great. My big concern today is "moving things along" if you will as opiods and constipation go hand in hand. DD is at work today which will make things easier in terms of not having to work around another person.
The pain pill is finally kicking in, yay.
Bill-I would have loved to own a book store too-or co own it. Maybe in our next life we can do it together
Maryann-I'm sorry about your son,that's very hard. I like to reassure my young adults of how young they are and have lots of time to change thought patterns, the direction of their life, etc. Things will get better. But its hard to watch them go through it.
Silverbirch-goodness there's a lot to do to sell a house in terms of those energy requirements etc. It will be interesting to see if the quotes are fairly similar or not.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Yesterday, as predicted by DH, was better. Counselor was reassuring. Food not great with sweets at work. 100% no choice with that today. My priority this weekend is sleep, few human contacts and OP.

Curly: This tea ( amazon could deliver) is the absolute never fail for me. I travel with it. I drink a cup at night and in the morning all is well. https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Leaf-T.../dp/B006K3OQZ6
Silverbirch: Cooker is oven?
BBE: I have that book on my list.

​​​​​​​Wave to all
Old 03-01-2024, 01:13 PM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Friday

More great progress at the gymn followed by complete exhaustion several hours later. I went to sleep for a bit. This is normal for me and indicates very good progress! I’ve done the due diligence on the estate agents and now have two to ring tomorrow. I’m not feeling too hopeful about this but it has to be done.

Bill, I’m all in favour of the grand tour of errands. What an example your DW is, not wanting to own a book she’s already read and enjoyed! Yes, I think Aga saga is a thing! Owning an Aga is often thought of as a class signifier in the UK nowadays, even though they can be workhorses of the farm kitchen with useful ovens/spaces for keeping weak lambs warm and drying out kindling. An Aga is a range, not a cooker in British English (see my comments to maryann below)!

curlyjax, I do agree about the sun helping to keep spirits up. For fun, here’s my list of things that “keep things moving”:
  • lots of water
  • coffee
  • hot drinks
  • linseeds (just a few really help, eat with cereal)
  • dried fruit (dates and figs especially)
  • stewed apple (traditional)
  • Heinz tomato soup (has to be Heinz, apparently, as recommended by my mum’s carers)
  • movement, if possible
Good luck!

maryann, I'm so pleased to hear that yesterday was better. “Cooker” might be a stove or cooking range in North American English. It usually comprises one or two ovens and four rings. One oven doubles as a grill (meaning heat from the top to make toast, cheese on toast, grilled bacon or sausages etc). Gas or electric. Freestanding, all in one.

Waving to gardenerjoy and onebyone!
Old 03-01-2024, 02:18 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

I met my exercise goal, on the dot, for February. Yay!

It took an overnight at the repair shop, but my car now has a fully functioning tire sensor. I decided that it was worth $120 to get it replaced. Tire sensors alerted me to a nail in a tire two different times -- both quickly enough that I could drive the car to the tire place without changing to the spare. A third time, it was a tire sensor that got me to pull over when I tore a tire, producing a much more dramatic leak. That meant that I didn't drive on the rim long enough to cause a problem. So, tire sensors have saved me time, money, and general bother.

Exercise: 40, 1700/1700 minutes for February
Old 03-02-2024, 06:15 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday-Convention of Constantinople guarantees passage through the Suez Canal(1888)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Fun time was the arrival of a small table to stand beside the washing machine - in the only space in our whole house without something assigned to it. Trips to the local stores hadn't found one to fit the squeezed width available. DW and I had spent a bunch of time searching about online until we culled the possibilities to three. Read the reviews on Amazon. Laughed ourselves silly at the one star reviews: "Don't recommend - the box arrived torn"; "Terrible - you have to take the legs out of their grooves to take it down"; "Wouldn't buy again - it arrived a day late." It fit the space and will serve its purpose.

Went through four boxes of my books. Emotional task. Almost impossible for me to give away the ones that are autographed by the author. Found one inscribed to me by my sister and her husband who are both gone. Will never give that up. I'd inscribed a book as the first non-required book that I bought as a freshman in college. Painful to remember that even as inexpensive as books were that long ago I had limited pocket money to buy them. Good to be grateful that I can now buy any book I want. About three-quarters of the books were re-boxed to give away. I'm getting a tiny bit better at letting go of a book that's desirable and in good condition. Finally getting a touch of the notion that a book will be sold by some organization for a profit to a buyer who wants it - and that's what I want.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner included a whole wheat bread from Whole Foods laden with seeds - appropriately called Seeduction bread. It's so good that we have to limit how often it comes into the house. Like baguettes. Can't be a daily thing.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Congrats for making your exercise goal in the shortened month of February. Thanks for the stories about your tire sensor providing serious safety warnings.

Silverbirch - Terrific that you can workout at the gym to complete exhaustion. Yep, your link to Cooker is what I'd call a stove. Feeling a bit inadequate that ours isn't suitable "for keeping weak lambs warm and drying out kindling."

maryann – Great to hear that you feel better - even it means that your DH was right, LOL.

curlyjax - Good news that even your PT sees that you're getting better. Yes, together we'll open Curly Eyes Books. With plenty of spaces to sit and read. And author talks with book signings. But you and I will have to remind each other to stop reading so much; the shelves don't stock themselves.

Readers -
Quote:

They were able to manage their time better and to organize their households and work lives. They learned how to set goals and steadily work toward them.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I wish I had taken copious notes last time I did this, I feel like I was off heavy duty pill by now but maybe not. I 'm using them more frequently than I want now, but I guess I'm also walking more.I need to be in good mental shape by next tuesday to take part in a webinar, so hopefully that will all pan out. I think I was a tad optimistic about my recovery rate. Last night I was in such pain I burst into tears and sobbed about why did I do this,I'm in worse pain now than I was before. I need to remind myself; I'm walking well with the walker, my legs are stronger than I was last time, the weather is good, I can afford to get precooked things delivered, i only need to take care of myself. It will all be worth it in the long run. And my internet is working and I'm able to stream so much stuff.
Bill-sometimes you can give books to libraries for their sales, or senior centers; they may have a gift shop or library too. Just another alternative. But the important thing is to get them out while you are in the mindset, so you're doing the right thing!
Maryann and Silverbirch- thank you for the suggestions!normally its not a problem for me but again these opioids mess things up.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:25 AM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

Saturday is always weird for me. I'm going to have a snack before the midday vigil and lunch after to see how that works for me this week.

Exercise: 55, 55/1800 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: I had to put Seeduction bread and rolls on my "very rare" list. Definitely named well!

curlyjax: I hate that part of recovery when it quits having an aura of newness around it and starts to feel endless. You're doing great to remind yourself what you're grateful for and that it will get better.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #10  

Happy Saturday, Coaches.

I feel like George Bailey on Christmas morning. I never thought I would make it through the week. Literally. Yesterday afternoon, I felt pride that I had walk through the journey, joy that I had earned a rest and hope for the future. I now the superlatives may seem hyperbole but anyone who suffers depressive episodes know the feeling. I can't even understand who I was this past week. A stranger. But Today I am myself, with the sunshining, little tasks to putter with and no major wreckage to clean up from that "other woman." it has not always been the case in the past.

Other good news: The scale is .8 from the demilitarized zone. I have declined the crabfeed and intend to be in South Korea by Sunday I have kale salad all mixed, yogurt, and I am cooking up sorghum to put into the salad rather than white rice. I will take a long walk today or a yoga session.

BBE: I like to think that at the end of my days I will have curated my memorobilia so well that it will all fit the smallish deacon's bench my father built. Everything else will have found its next place in the universe. The book with your sister's writing would be in my bench.
Curly: i wish I was close to bring you a home cooked meal and be company for a few hours.
Silverbirch: I can send you this cooker? https://ibb.co/LZV2qQQ Wil that help. I found it in our barn and I am thinking of restoring it for the river house.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:21 PM   #11  
in development

Default Saturday

The morning started with thick frost and a temperature of -5C/23F. That was a bit of a surprise and my sister was in touch with pictures of quite a bit of snow (unforecast) much further south. I’m pleased to report that I rang an estate agent and have a valuation booked for Tuesday. The person I spoke to was very professional. What’s more, I know and like the sister of one of the owners. I decided not to pursue the previous agent at this point as I haven’t been very impressed for several reasons. Phew, so that bit’s done. Credit for getting this far. The rest of the day has been a bit frustrating as I can’t do a number of things because I’m waiting for a number of other things to happen first. The SO and I went out to collect some pine cones to stage the house and to be kindling when we run out of the wood I’ve lovingly collected and chopped up over the weeks, months and years. I’ve also spent quite a bit of time looking for some new gymn trousers (mine are quite worn out and also quite cold) and a tracksuit top with a zip and no hood (this style may well be extinct now). I haven’t found anything yet. It’s all such a lengthy performance but if I’d gone somewhere in person I still wouldn’t have found anything and I’d still be on the train or in the car and even more tired.

gardenerjoy, thanks for the tyre sensor information. My car (new to me in the last year) has sensors but this is the first time for me. It’s good to know that they’re useful and also that they can malfunction or wear out. Well done for meeting your exercise goal! Thanks for reminding me about having an “eat very rarely” list of food. That could be useful.

Bill, such good work on your books. I know it’s often emotional and I’m very impressed. Yes, different people will want those books and an organisation will benefit - definitely. Nice to get a small table to fit a specific space. You and DW are very broadminded not to mind about torn boxes, late deliveries and removable table legs! People can be hilarious.

curlyjax, you’re doing so well but having worse pain is horrible for you. Of course you feel rough when it’s like that but soon you really will be feeling better. What a good idea to remind yourself of the positive things that are on your side. Hang on in there!

Oh, maryann, you are a generous woman. That stove is a humdinger! It’s electric - we have electricity. It’s automatic - that would help. It has four rings - I’ve never had more and who needs more anyway? It has six interesting controls. It is a bit dirty but I’m much more experienced at cleaning now. But customs taxes would be high, I think, even if California allowed it to be exported. So, regretfully, no thanks! But I really do appreciate it!! Glad to hear you’re feeling more yourself. Enjoy your walk and/or yoga session.

Waving to onebyone!
Old 03-03-2024, 07:28 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Alexander II of Russia frees serfs making them free citizens (1861)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Sobering to attend the Life Celebration event for a friend who died at age 81. I'd attended his wedding only a year and a half ago - both were widow(er)s entering their second marriage. Made me so happy that folks continue to live even with gray hair. I so vividly recall when "we all" thought anyone past 30 was over the hill. Saying "we all" reminds me that I lived within a narrow circle back then. We were fairly distant but I was reminded how important it was to attend when the widow was legitimately pleased to see me and to smile at the way I remembered him. Rather fun to hear how many joyous stories can be conjured after someone passes.

But, there was a stand-and-eat reception afterward and I stood and ate as if I'd never seen food. As a minor excuse, folks put out some tasty homemade stuff to celebrate a person. But a sample from only one plate of homemade brownies would have satisfied my brownies need. I had many people to chat with and we all continued to eat together. Oh, Well. I have to continue to work on these stand-and-eat event.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for the major pot hole of the reception. Dinner was a concoction using chicken thighs, kale, and dried apricots. All three are well loved foods; together they were individually good but the combination didn't support each other. Designing recipes must be an art.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Terrific idea to have a "very rare" list. I think Dr. Beck is rather smart reminding me that trying to absolutely eliminate a food just won't work.

Silverbirch - Such a neat image of you and your SO trekking about the forest for pine cones to stage your house. Wish you well selecting an agent who appreciates the true value of your place.

maryann – Thanks for the reminder that It's a Wonderful Life is a great movie with a serious point. Terrific to read "But Today I am myself". Love the notion of reducing all of my stuff down to a small deacon's bench.

curlyjax - Wishing you well as you go through the pain of recovery. Glad that you have a prior experience so that your brain knows that this will end. And that it's worth it.

Readers -
Quote:

How did this happen? . . .
  • They learned how to exert self-control. They learned how to do what they needed to do, instead of what they felt like doing at the moment.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:15 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a masterpiece of tiny frugal and decluttering acts. I love those days. They keep me so focused I forget to eat.

1. I printed a cool graphic of the symbols of the international laundry on magnetic page. I bought 1/2 a pack of them years ago at Goodwill. It is now attached in the laundry room. Gone guess work.
2. I released three grocery bags to the universe. Two were from the baking cabinet. I was tired of always clanking and clanging to get to the things I actually use. Gone is an extra muffin pan, a spring form that was an unused wedding present, and the least loved strainers. One bag was filled with power bars I had over bought. They went to the food shelter.
3. I have had some food waste due to expiration dates so I went through the pantry. I had 12 fair trade chocolate bars I bought for .50 a piece. What to do with them to still meet weight goals? I decided on Date Snickers. I was so proud of myself. I have never melted and dipped chocolate before in a microwave. Froze a split date that had been stuff with all natural peanut butter. Then dipped and re froze. I now declare they are the one sweet treat i can have at school ( 2 a day) unless I abuse the privilege. I also dipped bananas and will dip yogurt clusters frozen.
4. I de-moused my glove compartment in the car with a vaccume. Washed it down thoroughly.

I read and played chess, I declined an invitation to my mom's to see my oldest sister today. I really can not deal with anybody else hard-ish this weekend. I am still recovering. I made plans to see her on the return. It felt like a good step toward self care which of course was tinged with a little after burn guilt.

Alas. no formal exercise. Gym today with DH.

Silverbirch: Good Job finding agent with a good vibe
BBE: Yes, funerals are for the living.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:12 PM   #14  
in development

Default Sunday

Great news that the trio that shouts SPRING! have arrived: bleating lambs, yellow catkins and shy primroses. Yes, there’s more snow on the mountains but the sun has been out a bit today and the wind’s dropped. I think it’s going to be all right.

I bit the bullet and ordered some gymn clothes online. I’m not holding out much hope that they’ll fit or that the material will be any good but let’s see. I wandered around the garden a bit and rigged up a way of draining water out of the bags of my own compost that I hope to export to the S house. And I went for a walk, marching along quite quickly with no problems. The gait exercises are paying off. Credit for practising. Food has been a bit better today.

Bill, sobering but those stories when someone has died are so important. Credit for recognising the need to work on the stand-and-eat events. They can be so risky.

maryann, I read about and saw pictures of terrible weather in California around Lake Tahoe. I’m glad you’re lower down this weekend and had a good day yesterday. Good frugal and decluttering work! Three cheers for self-care!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:55 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Tchaikovsky's ballet "Swan Lake" premieres (1877, Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Visit by the (3.5 yo) DFGD was a delightful walk to the playground. She did all the upping and downing of the climbing structure for older kids until she banged her head and had to stop for a short round of crying and consolation. Then abruptly, "I want to go back with my friends," meaning the two girls she'd met ten minutes ago. Together they joined a happy fracas of kids on the smaller climbing structure. Constant motion. Constant interaction with the other kids. She makes friends faster than any human I've met.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with an afternoon snack with the DS and DIL during their visit. Dinner was dahl, sauteed spinach, and with the last of the Seeduction bread. Toasting that Seeduction bread with butter is just the best. Definitely has to be on the not very often list.

A few minutes were spent picking up the fallen tree limbs after the high winds of the other day. All were dead wood that was appropriate that it be removed. One fell close to a car; a direct hit would have caused damage. Lucky day.

Silverbirch - Kudos, indeed, for "The gait exercises are paying off." Risky business ordering clothes online.

maryann – Such a productive day. Love reading of the bags of stuff leaving.

Readers -
Quote:

How did this happen? . . .
  • They learned how to anticipate problems and to solve them in advance.
Closed Thread