Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 03:49 PM   #121  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The grocery store trip went fine. It was definitely more crowded than my usual shopping times. At the back of the very long checkout line, I started to right a text to DH about the crowd, but I reached the head of the line before I finished the text. So, complaining felt a bit overblown.

I planned a bunch of low-energy activities for this week, so at least I feel like I'm getting some things done today.

Fortunately, I have a structure and habits in place so that work on my novel-writing course happens first thing in the morning with my first cup of tea. I'm not sure if that's my most energetic time. More, it's a matter of I haven't really figured out how I'm feeling, so I just do the thing that I planned to do.

Exercise: 55, 805/1400 minutes for August
Old 08-22-2023, 06:32 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - St Columba reports seeing monster in Loch Ness (565, Scottish Highlands)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise, CREDIT moi, was picking up the (7 yo) DGD from her rock-wall climbing camp. These kids climb difficult walls with ease - and with solid harnesses connected to solid ropes. It looks safe and empowering.

Morning walk, CREDIT moi, was to the hardware store for a stack of widgets that might solve my problem of installing a thermostat on a wall with holes that have expanded past the size of normal widgets. That's today's job. Our hardware store has a long row of drawers carefully labeled with names, pictures, and sizes of little things. For me it's rabbit in the briar patch time. I had to remind myself that I could only buy stuff for this job; the wall will be there next time I need another thingy.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was gazpacho made with our garden's cukes and tomatoes. It's different every time. "When I have more tomatoes, the gazpacho is made with more tomatoes," DW says stating the obvious. Consumed with the last of the baguette and yet-another of my superb green salads. With my peanut butter sandwich for lunch, I was vegetarian for a day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good to hear that you are moving along each day with your novel writing course. LOL at the story of not being able to complete a text about being stuck waiting in line because the wait ended.

Erika (eusebius) – Sorry to hear about continued frustration getting rightfully paid. As has been mentioned, there seems to be a notion that folks in the arts can be stiffed. I love the lore that Aretha Franklin demanded cash in hand before she walked on stage and that she paid her group with their part of that cash immediately after the performance. True or not, I like the story. LMAO at the instruction video for folding fitted sheets.

maryann - Interesting thoughts on the movie Barbie. I share the notion that the sermon was vague and mixed. And long. Loved hearing that your DS is thoughtfully aware that his generation is passed the burden and the blame for the actions of all mankind before he was born. Good luck transitioning to noodles from white rice.

curlyjax - Wish you well figuring out the paxlovid decision. I wasn't aware of the negative side effects. I do share your fear of long term COVID.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 7 Stage 4 - The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Mentally Plan Your Week

At some point, you will start asking yourself these questions automatically. Until then, copy these questions in your Diet Notebook under the heading "Mental Planning" and make sure to read them regularly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 181.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #123  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Back from house hunting. One is lovely, we’ve put in an application and I’m hoping hard that it works out. The other is on a very claustrophobic estate and the air was full of the smell from the nearby waste recycling plant. It stank! Off the list almost immediately and we didn't bother viewing inside. On Sunday we had a nice meal out (you’ll remember I hardly ever do this) in an old pub, originally built in the 15th century. I had a starter and a pudding which left me fairly full but not over-stuffed, as I would have been if I’d had a main course. Hurtled back home on Monday afternoon. Just starting to relax when the neighbour from the other house rang to say the alarm was going off. Liaison, liaison and the SO is going down there by train today to troubleshoot. Perhaps it’s just a cobweb across a PIR sensor. I’m very ready now for things to calm down a bit. I’m sure you understand. On the plus side, I’ve bought a car for the DD and the other house’s insurance is sorted out. I’m able to travel around beautiful countryside and spend time in lovely buildings, including pubs, when I’m looking for accommodation for her. On the agenda today, catch my breath, shopping, piles of laundry and new wiper blades for the car. Some exercise too. I’m thinking of pretending I’ve got a dog to take myself out for a shortish walk twice a day. I might make a gymn appointment if I believe that nothing unexpected is going to blow up in the next few days (I know this doesn’t hang together logically). [pause whilst other things happened] Except now it has and I’m travelling south tomorrow to view another flat, this time by the river which can be prone to flooding. Ah. Will try to meet up with the SO “somewhere in southern England” as they used to say during the second world war.

Bill, very good to hear that “sides to middling” sheets has entered your life! Your DIL’s slightly uncertain outline of family history is so interesting and it’s made me think about why knowing how to reuse fabric is just part of my life. My gran was born in 1898 and lived through the Depression and both world wars with their associated rationing. My mother was born in 1925. Fabric rationing ended in 1949. So “make do and mend” was a very big part of both of their lives and they taught me how to, as a basic life skill.

curlyjax, hope you’re feeling not too bad.

gardenerjoy, and the same to you too.

eusebius, maryann, lurkers - wave!
Old 08-22-2023, 08:57 AM   #124  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi folks, weight continues to slowly tick downward. I finished the first module of my course yesterday and I'm excited to start a module on business building. If all goes well I am meeting my minister to pick up a cheque for the extra money I'm owed, but I can't say I trust the treasurer to hold up her part of the bargain and actually write a cheque AND give it to the minister. We'll see. I am also planning a short hike at my favourite conservation area. I really need some time in nature.

maryann - glad to hear the movie plan went well. Sounds like an interesting discussion with DS. Nice work at the pool/gym!

curlyjax - sending continued good wishes for your recovery. I can see why paxlovid is not a straightforward choice at all. Anaphylaxis is no joke. My first husband was allergic to eggs and carried an EpiPen everywhere. Totally understand why you would not put yourself in that situation.

gardenerjoy - sounds like you have found a good rhythm of productivity. Hope the course continues to go well.

BillBlueEyes - yeah those kids and their climbing really amaze me. LOL at the widget wall - that's like me in a yarn store. Sounds like a lovely vegetarian menu yesterday.

silverbirch - hope your DD's house application works out! And that you get some downtime and time to yourself for exercise.

Waving to all! Happy Tuesday!

Old 08-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP with lots of little stolen steps - a couple of extra walks and a little shopping trip. The scale itself is a little stubborn but that might be because I have added back exercise. In any case, I feel good and my pants fit. I have also stopped taking the acid reflux medicine I had to start when I began my antidepressant. I haven't had a problem with refulx since I started the challenge. That makes two medicines I got off this summer. The other helped with sleep and anxiety. So now I am only on hormone replacement and the anti depressant. This is awesome. In my mind the less meds the better. My grandmother lived to 100 and was only taking St. John's wart in the end. Crazy.

I began a crusade to fix the road that borders my school. It is an AG road that was never meant to be a common thoroughfare. It is crumbling and extra narrow with no complete bike path or even shoulder. Students walking or biking to school are in danger. I can't stand watching it anymore. I wrote the school board, the board of supervisors and public works. Hopefully I can make some progress.

Silverbirch: You are really "in process." Good for you for enjoying it as much as possible and hoping things settle soon.

Wave to all

Last edited by maryann; 08-22-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Feeling a little better today so i'm hopefully on my way out with this Just eating small amounts of food frequently and staying in bed. I feel all my hard earned muscles wasting away but I know i'll be able to build them up again. I've decided there's no point in worrying about getting brain fog or long term covid etc, i can't do anything about it. This experience definitely makes me even more determined to move to a condo, where i won't have to deal with emptying trash, mowing the lawn etc whenever i'm not 100%.
The sun is out and it's a beautiful day which makes this all easier. Now that i'm feeling better i'm able to remember to be grateful for things like being able to afford delivery grocery etc, and so grateful for my friends who support me.
And grateful for our little community here too!
Old 08-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

I'm still struggling to get back to my Ideal Food Day. My appetite returned more quickly than the physical energy required to do the work, or the mental energy required to implement the practices to stick to the plan. I'm going to do the best I can with what I have to work with and trust it will be enough to get me back to where I want to be. Give it a little time.

Exercise: 60, 865/1400 minutes for August

curlyjax: I restarted strength-training last week, going back to Day 1 of this 25-day program, Strength Training (25 day program) - YouTube. So, I have good news. The muscles were still there. I've been able to do more reps than required in the early days of the program. The bad news is that it's more of an aerobic workout than it used to be, so I've lost some heart and lung conditioning. I did a bunch of lunges yesterday and my heart pumped like I'd just walked quickly up the longest hill in our neighborhood.

maryann: Do you have a PTO or PTA to work with? That's who got a crosswalk with lights put in near one of our elementary schools recently.

eusebius: A short hike is a terrific act of self-care. It's a little too hot here, but I'm looking forward to getting back to that activity in the fall.

silverbirch: Good for you for finding some beauty amid a little more activity than you really want in your life.

BillBlueEyes: This weekend, the Loch Ness Centre is hosting a big gathering to watch the Loch for signs of Nessie. They're even asking for people around the world to be watchers via webcam: The Loch Ness Centre.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:17 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Mount Vesuvius begins stirring, goes on to destroy Pompeii (79 CE)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Success completing the thermostat job was sweet. Once I had the right widget in hand, screwing the thermostat base to the wall was as easy as it was supposed to be. Easy despite the new widget not fitting my old screws. Fortunately, our basement has a half-dozen different sizes of sheet rock screws that would suffice. Found the one that was the perfect size. (Extra exercise for the day was trotting down to the basement and back from the third floor each time I needed one more thing.) Sobering reminder that my inborn desire to fix things frequently runs into small obstacles that take a while to overcome. CREDIT moi for sticking to the job all the way through to putting up all the tools, level, and whatever taken out.

Buoyed by that success, I faced that I had to order a matched pair of smoke detector fire alarm units. I'd tried a few weeks ago and got stymied by the many nearly-the-same offerings and the out of stock situations. I wasn't price sensitive; it had to be the EXACT brand and model so that I didn't have to replace the base plates - the very thing that caused me such pain with the thermostat. Home Depot's web site said that they had them but only in a store about an hour away - even then with uncertain stock. Dubious situation. Finally got a pair ordered, even at a more reasonable price than I'd expected.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner conversation was monopolized by my telling of my two successes in minute detail. Finally got around to telling DW that it was the day that St. Colombo had first seen the Loch Ness Monster in 565 CE. Told her that I might join this weekend's search. Told her that I had to declare whether I believed in Nessie, didn't believe, or possibly believed. Problem. Telling a diehard biologist that I might believe in the existence of a creature for 1700 years with the implied size of its community of other Nessie's was too much for her. I got the lecture. But I already know the lecture. I've decided that with all the fake nonsense in the news that some folks fervently believe, I might just adopt a belief in Nessie so I have a touch of fantasy in my brain. And getting to Scotland is certainly a fun thought. Might be warmer than chasing after the Tibetan Yeti (Abominable Snowman), LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Interesting that your appetite returned faster than your strength - Kudos for recognizing that before a few pounds just appeared. Thanks for the link to Nessie watching. I might just join the webcam watch - secretly, of course, so as not to offend any hard-nosed biologist living in my house.

Erika (eusebius) – Neat to be starting the part of the course about building your business. Hope there's a cheque in your hand today. (Spellchecker doesn't even have the dignity to offer 'check' but offers 'quench'.)

Silverbirch - This I clearly understand, "I’m very ready now for things to calm down a bit." You've got so much being juggled right now. Do hope your DD's application for that flat is accepted; she deserves to know her own future. Thanks for the tidbit of family history of times when fabric was scarce, “make do and mend”.

maryann - Good luck on your quest to get that road fixed. Great genes you have with a grandmother living to be 100 without a long list of prescriptions.

curlyjax - Just terrific that you can find things to be grateful for even as you face uncertain COVID.

Readers -
Quote:

In this final section, you will be preparing for rest-of-your-life eating. You will learn how and when to alter your Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan, determine at which point you should finalize your plan and move into maintenance and decide what to do when your lifestyle or physiology changes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 181.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Definitely feeling better as long as I stay in bed most of the time. I'm even doing some work by checking emails and conferring with my colleague. Haven't had a fever for a full 24 hours so i'm on the mend for sure, albeit slowly. I'm craving things like bagels with cream cheese, plain chicken etc as tummy is still on the outs. Maybe I will lose weight who knows!
Gardenerjoy- thanks for letting me know about regaining strength, that is helpful. I can feel the cardiac loss myself already but again its something that can be built up.
Today's grateful tidbit is grateful for my job that has sick time and no pressure to hurry back this week, and some flexibility to work a little from home.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:04 AM   #130  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Hi folks, a quick flyby today as I slept in too late. Not sure why I am so exhausted today but an hour's hike yesterday may have done it. I really loved it but perhaps I need to build up more slowly. I did manage to get the cheque yesterday and also received some back pay from another client so that's really helpful. Waving to all!
Old 08-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #131  

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP. I spoke wayyyyyyy to soon about getting off my acid reflux medicine. I had a terrible rebound last night. OK I think I'll let doctors decide on medication. Sheesh! I was also exhausted last night and went to bed at 7:45. It is what it is.

The scale hopped up 2 pounds. Difficult to figure out. I think it has been my lunches. Too big. I will cut my lunch portion in half and see where that gets me. Frustrating although I am still glad I am avoiding rice.

Progress on the road fix. Superintendent messaged me and says my request on the agenda for the city liaison committee. I also have another number of a guy in charge I will call today.

Joy: I bookmarked that you tube channel. I think I will give it a go.
Erika: Yeah for a that extra income and an hour hike.
Curly: I still get a little tired . Its a long race.
BBE: We have Tahoe Tessie upo at the lake. She is Nessie's cousin.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #132  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Wednesday

I’m getting into the groove with all this jaunting about on the accommodation trail. Tonight I’m staying in a studio flat above some garages, next to a moat (!) and surrounded mostly by fields or farm buildings. Oh, and the Tudor hall next door. I’ve got my own front door open and the birds are just settling down for the night. Fabulous. I’ve brought my own food which makes it smoother. Tomorrow I’ll view the flat next to the river and try to see another one with gardens.

eusebius, nice to have a walk in the conservation area, even it has worn you out. Yes, perhaps building it up is the way forward. Glad you’ve got the cheque and the back pay too!

curlyjax, muscle memory will help you out. They don’t forget.

gardenerjoy,
Quote:
I'm going to do the best I can with what I have to work with and trust it will be enough to get me back to where I want to be.
Applause ...

Bill,
Quote:
Sobering reminder that my inborn desire to fix things frequently runs into small obstacles that take a while to overcome. CREDIT moi for sticking to the job all the way through to putting up all the tools, level, and whatever taken out.
This is so very Beck! And utterly transferrable.

maryann, good news about the road. Scales are fickle creatures. And apparently irrational at times.

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-23-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:54 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Pope Innocent III declares the Magna Carta invalid (1215)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Finally got to see the movie Oppenheimer. Mixed response. Felt that it was four movies shoveled into three hours each of which could have been done more thoroughly. I wanted more about the Manhattan Project and the general understanding of physics of the times that didn't know if a sustainable fission reaction was practical. For that, I was pleased that a token appearance of Enrico Fermi was slipped in. Thought Albert Einstein was added as a prop since we'd all recognize his unruly head of white hair. Was pleased that Matt Damon's characterization of Colonel Leslie Groves showed a complex figure who found a way to dance with Oppenheimer to get the project done. Wish there was more about the left-wing movement in the US at the time when some people thought communism would help the US solve its problems. Wish there was more about how Senator Joseph McCarthy turned the word communism into pure evil. I wish my stack of books was shorter so that I'd go read American Prometheus to help me see what came from the book and what was generated to make the movie sell.

Exercise, CREDIT moi, was chasing a Frisbee in a park near the home of our (7 yo) DGD. Was serious exercise because she is a terrible thrower. To my surprise, my throwing skills came back; I could nearly hover it over her head. We got to see her climb a rock wall at the gym where she has a week of summer camp. Just scooted right up.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. No snacks also meant no snacks at the three hour movie. As I've said before, I'm fortunate not to have the movie popcorn gene. Was impressed that the single visible employee was a young girl at the register that sold tickets as well as refreshments. The LED screen at the register facing patrons had a highly visible sign, "THIS IS NOT A TOUCH SCREEN." Never seen that before. When I flashed her my phone with the QR Code for my prepaid reservations, I smart alecly quipped, "This is a touch screen." Without a pause, she came back with, "It's not labeled." Pleased to learn that a human being was doing the robot-like job there.

Erika (eusebius) – Yay for a little of your due income arriving. An hour hike sounds good to me.

Silverbirch - You do make chasing a flat for your DD sound exciting. Living next to a moat would work for me.

maryann - Great for the next step in getting that road fixed. So glad to hear of Tahoe Tessie. California seems closer than Scotland so I have to juggle whether chasing a cousin is close enough.

curlyjax - Some healing sounds good. Glad that you can do some work from home.

Readers -
Quote:

Change Your General Plan

You may need to modify your general plan when certain life circumstances arise or when your weight plateaus.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 182.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #134  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Hi folks, I am feeling more energetic today. This morning I attended a BNI (Business Networking International) meeting as a visitor. This is a very cool organization for small business owners to get to know each other and give each other referrals. The membership fees are pretty stiff so I think I'll put off joining until I have a few more clients, but it's definitely in my future and I felt energized by being around such positive people.

I had some good news as well - I will have 5 or 6 piano students at the university this year. Last year I had only 3 and 2 graduated, so I was worried that I would have only 1 or even none at all. So financially things are looking up a little bit. I'll keep working hard!

maryann - ugh for acid reflux!! I hope you can find the right medication solution. Very cool that you saw some progress with the road fix. Hope the scale goes down soon!

silverbirch - yay for being in the groove - sounds like a fun adventure at least at times!

BillBlueEyes - great to read your Oppenheimer review. Dang it, now I want to read American Prometheus too. Sounds like you are a better frisbee thrower than I - I'm probably more on the level of DGD, lol! LOL also at your encounter with the non-touch screen.

gardenerjoy - thank you for the YouTube playlist for strength training - have bookmarked for future use.

Waving to all! Happy Thursday!
Old 08-24-2023, 10:13 AM   #135  

Good morning, Coaches.

OP. Scale remains a little higher - so frustrating because my food choices are SOOOO much better. Oh Well. I do not want to start logging my food because I always have a nasty boomerang effect when I do that. I'll give myself until next week to let it organically drift down. I need to add some steps or weight exercises somehow today.

Last day DS is here. We go see him next week so I am not too sad. I am proud we didn't end up eating out like his usual visits require.

Silverbirch: You travels sound epic. I actually pay for touring around England.
BBE: LOL you wanted more physics in the movie. Not sure that is a big draw. One of my teachers wanted to show it to his class. He was worried about the sex scene. I told hime I was worried about 3 hours!!!!!
Closed Thread