Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone Checkin between meetings. Started my new Prolon fast. Day 1 is easy. I am on Day 2 and I am a little tired. I like the support and I love not having to make decision about what to eat. More tom.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:17 AM   #152  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Confucius Day - Teacher, editor, politician, philosopher (born 551 BCE)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Heard the loudest THUNDER that I've heard in years - followed immediately by heavy rain. A dramatic show of force. Then rain continued all day with brief pauses. The contractors on my front porch simply put up a tent and continued to do carpentry in the rain. I was impressed. Applying oil to the decking boards even continued in their other tent in my driveway. Apparently, to be a modern carpenter, one needs a bunch of tents.

Trip to the supermarket did procure blueberries one more time. Again, I found them at another supermarket; my favorite has resorted to the half-sized clam shells. Eating was on plan with a planned afternoon snack, CREDIT moi. I've now consumed the last of my share of the two-byte blueberry muffins from the DGD's mini birthday party of a week ago. Dinner was clam chowder from Whole Foods. It was good enough - a tad more watery than we last remember. Suspect that Jeff Bezos is shaving expenses, LOL. Topped with Oyster Crackers since I was diligent enough to buy a bag of them earlier. The green salad still contained yellow cherry tomatoes from our garden and cukes from our garden. Feel like we're stretching it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope the plan to follow your plan works. I hate when I put something on my list and then ignoring it.

maryann - Bon Voyage on your Prolon journey.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for getting your booster. Congrats for feeling strong.

curlyjax - Neat to have a current certification in CPR. I've had several and could use another training.

Penny. - Ouch for a job offer that isn't what you wanted. Kudos for thinking of alternate opportunities for yourself.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 7 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

How to Monitor Your Eating

Do the following:

1. Carry your Diet Notebook with you throughout the day and check off each food as you eat it. (Don't wait until later in the day to do this.)
2. Cross off any food you had planned to eat but didn't consume.
3. Write down any unplanned eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 93.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

The cpr class was much less stressful than it used to be, and the paramedic running it definitely made it fun. Also presented info on Dr. heimlich of the heimlich manuever which was interesting. He even had an app on the phone that showed how effective our pushes were on the dummy, which was really cool. We didn’t do the breathing part. Then I did run around at home cleaning up listening to music- I forget how much I enjoy zydeco which helps you move.
I ate some extras yesterday, and today there is cake for a goodbye celebration which I should probably skip as i’m having ice cream tonight with my wild wednesday widow dinner (just named right now!
Penny- sorry about the low offer, although I can see how being in a office would pay less than home care. Sounds like a good idea to keep going for a bit.
Karen- glad that your arm isn’t sore from the booster.
Bill- we had that thunder in the morning too. All the women in the office talked about their windows at home were probably open and the fact that their husbands probably wouldn’t notice yay for still having garden produce.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #154  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my food plan yesterday -- yay!

This morning, I was reminded of an advantage of writing out my food plan. It helps me spot problems before they occur. Writing "salad" on my food plan prompts me to write "wash lettuce" on my to-do list.

Whole Foods yesterday was quieter than recent trips and everyone wore masks. Our hospitalizations are still over the red line from early in the pandemic. We were told that the region's hospitals could handle 40 COVID admissions a day. I assume that capacity has increased since March 2020 (especially since we peaked at near 4x that number over the winter), but it still feels like a good number to keep track of -- especially since they conveniently post it on a Facebook page. We got to 100 admissions a day a couple of times in August and we're still averaging over 50. So, I still appreciate the caution of my community.

Exercise +40, 1280/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #155  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, in fact I forgot my afternoon snack. That is almost a miracle for me, but I guess I wasn't feeling hungry so it didn't come to mind. I've lost 3.6 pounds on my full week of the new plan. I go check in with the gal today to get on the scale and have her go over my food diaries. I think part of it is to be sure I don't have questions with the food plan etc.
After that I'm meeting a guy I used to work with who is also an avid hiker and is starting the Arizona Trail in a week. It runs from Utah to Mexico and I believe is around 800 miles.

GardenerJoy Your to do list must be quite detailed. Maybe that's good since then there are many more check marks which of course I always like.

Curlyjax Your WWW group sounds great and a super name. I had never even heard of Zydeco music. I looked it up and know what it is now and I have some playing on my phone. Yes it would certainly get you moving.

Bill Your storm sounds like what we generally have here. I love it. So much more dramatic than the drizzle we had in Washington. I'm glad the carpenters have all the tents they need to keep working.

Maryann Glad the Prolon is off to a good start. Is it just for a week or something you will continue? I'm making very simple dinners right now which is pretty great and dh doesn't seem to mind. I just add some extras for him which is easy to do.

Penny Will the new position perhaps negotiate a bit. I took a significant cut in pay when we moved from Washington to Arizona and increased my hours to make up the difference, but it's hard to go backwards. Eventually I changed jobs and was making more thank goodness.

Time to get Otis out for a walk and get on with the day.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #156  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Finally a drop on the scale this morning, and a completely unscheduled day.

The Toyota place shot for the moon with $2800 worth of suggested replacements, both sounding like made up problems so I declined and took my car home with just the free recall fix.

Curly, I've never heard the zydeco name either and had to look it up. Good job busting out the cleaning at the end of a long day.

Maryann, good luck with day 2 on Prolon. I don't know anything about and hope it works for you.

Joy, yay for getting a plan into action.

Bill, chowder with crackers sounds so good on a rainy day.

Karen, congrats on the successful weightloss week! Hopefully the cost of living also decreased when you moved to Az. Everything seems to cost more and more but employers still want to get as much as they can with as little as possible.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #157  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

I have been in a social and work whirlwind. All good but busy. Today is Day 3 of Prolon fast. I have been warned it is the worst and to try and keep the day short and activity low. I feel fine. I think the key for me has been reducing the caffeine a couple of weeks before ( you are allowed only 90mg a day) and the time restricted eating I practiced the week prior. It has been heaven not having to make any food decisions . The evening soups are supposed to be cooked on the stove but I use my vitamix which has a soup setting and it has been perfect. I have enjoyed all the food. I am 4.6 pounds down. Yeah! I know some will come back but the goal this month is to keep half of it us. There are two more cycles of the five days in the next two months.

I get my booster in November.

Wave to all.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a great dinner with my two widow friends last night. We had healthy salad, and everything else wasn’t so healthy. I ate way too much ice cream. We laughed and cried. Work was a long day but busy and full, so a great day all in all. I am however running out of clothes I can fit into -I’ve been wearing dresses but its getting colder out!-so I really need to rein it in.
Maryann- the Prolon fast sounds like its working! It is great not to have any food decisions.
Penny- good for you for ignoring the Toyota suggestions- they will always find something I think.
Karen- you’re doing great too! Sounds like an interesting guy to talk to.
Gardenerjoy-glad your community is doing better with covid.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #159  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Robinson Crusoe is shipwrecked (according to Daniel Defoe) (1659)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was picking up the (6 yo) DGD after kindergarten. She raced to us to drop off her backpack, then joined a friend climbing the structure right there. Her friend was a larger 4th grader; they made a dramatic pair. Ran about non-stop for thirty minutes. We were delighted; our job is to burn off the excess energy before we bring her home. The carpenters painted the risers of the steps of our front porch under reconstruction. Painting is a serious clue that they see the end in sight.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Back to "no" at last after a few days of taking the two-byte muffin as if two bytes don't count. Dinner was a white bean dish making me a vegetarian for the day. My class on Southern Literature covered statements made about slaves by Southerners over the years before the civil war. Some are just unbelievably racist - more so than I'd feel free to post on 3FC. Times were dark back then.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Unbelievable how overworked your hospitals are. A friend's husband just had an emergency bypass surgery; am amazed that they found an ICU room for him. Freighting thought.

maryann - Kudos for continuing your new food plan. Such a Beck statement, "It has been heaven not having to make any food decisions."

Karen (karenrn) - Just love it, "I forgot my afternoon snack." Yay for a brain that has its priorities right.

curlyjax - LOL at your "wild wednesday widow dinner" - sounds like a good weekly event.

Penny. - Yikes, $2800 is a bunch of replacements. Congrats for conducting yourself like such an aristocratic woman that the garage thinks you would just go for it.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 7 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

How to Monitor Your Eating

Recording all of your unplanned eating is essential because you need to squarely face all of your mistakes and devise ways to avoid making them in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 93.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:05 AM   #160  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I woke up this morning to another 2 pound loss. That is six and a half pounds in three days. I know all that won't stay off but it sure feels good to see the scale move like it use to in my twenties. I didn't sleep as well last night. The coaching session said that could be expected. I will take it easy today with the kids presenting their projects and creating their own "FDR" quiz. I'll sneak out of school a little early. I have a meeting tonight so I'll make a quick dinner for DH to keep me out of the kitchen just like Karen.

curleyjax: and Penny I was just with my friend who is at a weight she doesn't want to stay at. We found one nice outfit at a consignment store. I suggested she get two more as a "uniform" that she knows she will look good in until she reaches the weight she feels comfortable in. She subscribed to Stitch fix. They curate an outfit. I think that is a little too pricey for me but wouldn't it be fun to have an actual stylist to pick my clothes. If I did it today I would have someone picking my meals and someone picking my outfits. All I need is a hairstylist when I wake up to send me off to school.

Wave to all.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #161  
Green Tomatoes

We're running out to DH's mom's house today. Or, rather, the bank near her house. We may use her house as a private place for a break and bathroom.

DH has to sign an estate-related form in front of the notary there -- the next in what's likely to be a very long line of steps before this is all taken care of. I'm trying to keep focused on the next step, because otherwise it feels overwhelming. It's not so much the steps that are overwhelming. It's the uncertainty and ambiguity that I worry about. It's having to make final decisions with too little information, like the future of interest rates and marginal tax rates. It's having to make those decisions with and for other people who might have different levels of risk and different predictions for the future.

Okay. Here's my reminder that food fixes none of that.

Exercise +55, 1380/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #162  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a smidge.

The Harry Potter saga is finished and I might actually get to my own reading now, starting with The Alchemist, which has been half completed on my nightstand for so long.

I have a new friend lunch date planned for tomorrow and I'm kind of terrified of a relapse in disordered eating. What to do, what to do. She is disabled so can't do the active alternative I might normally suggest, and I'm trying to think of nonfood alternatives I can use to avoid this in the future.

Bill, kudos for getting right back to the usual menu after the muffins.

Joy, that does sound overwhelming and I'm not looking forward to the process with my mama. I hope it's an easy day.

Curly, sounds like a very fun and good for the soul kind of dinner party. Yay!

Maryann, I just used Stitchfix for the first time! After taking my trans daughter to buy some clothes and it was stressful for us both (we both hate shopping) I decided to give it a try. It was fun and she kept a pair of skinny black pants and a dress from five items mailed to us. It cost a lot, so I canceled after the first box but I'm glad she got a couple items. It also helped me narrow in on what she likes a little better. Good luck on your low cal day.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #163  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I had a good hike this morning. The dietician/nutritionist tells me not to worry about fueling for the Grand Canyon she will make a plan for me. We discussed what I would normally do and she assures me she helps Ironmen with their fueling. I will go along with her plan (and take extra things in case as a back-up). If I don't need the extra stuff great.

I'm going to take a large bag into the closet and get rid of some things that I know I won't want at any weight. I have enough hiking tee shirts for five people at least. I'll just keep the ones I really like. I'm sure there are other things I can get rid of too.

I'd better get moving while I'm kind of in the mood.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the October 2021 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Closed Thread