Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 08-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - John Priestley 1st isolates Oxygen as a gas (1774, Wiltshire, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another terrific walk, CREDIT moi, in Breakheart Reservation, a state property that was preserved merely because it was too rocky to make into houses. Huge rocks all around. Some uphill walking over the small mounds - remember that in Eastern Massachusetts a few hundred feet is all the elevation that we see. It's only 600 acres, but it has so many trails that you're guaranteed to have wandered down a different one at some point. Hardly a problem when you're constrained within a surrounding paved road, LOL. Parking was an issue because everybody decided to break out of quarantine on this very day. We happened upon a car leaving a prime parking spot; some days the universe aligns.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi, even though dinner was planned to be BBQ takeout from the area's best loved BBQ Pit. I ordered enough for two meals and . . . wait for it . . . ate rationally so that a full meal is leftover in the fridge. Felt like a win since leaving St. Louis dry rub BBQ ribs just sitting there is a major victory for me. The beans themselves had enough meat for a sane meal. This indulgence is a once-a-year treat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for fully-masked people - hope that begins to catch on. We skipped a memorial service yesterday for a friend because we just couldn't feel good about crowding into a room with that many other people.

curlyjax - A Food Truck Throw Down & Craft Fair is a new notion to me - sounds fun. It'd be a challenge for me to stay my plan.

Penny. - My admiration for those of you who can do home health care - presumably a new challenge in each home, including those things you can't fix.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 4 Prove to yourself that you can stop eating.

Now you now hunger is not an emergency and fullness does set it. What do you do when you still want more? Many dieters want to keep eating, even though they're not hungry. They enjoy the act of eating and want to prolong it. In this experiment, you'll practice not eating - even if tempting food is in front of you - to prove you can resist.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 82.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Food truck event was mellow and fun. There were about 12 food trucks there to choose from. I actually went with a hotdog with special toppings which was kind of small, and saved calories for strawberries drizzled with chocolate for dessert. I went with two friends from church and then bumped into a former work colleague who joined us. She is very chatty and kind of dominated the conversation so I felt a little bad, but she was there by herself and it would have been weird to not invite her. Ah, social situations! I wasted the rest of the day and did nothing productive. So today I will run around and do groceries at two stores, laundry etc. Manfriend is supposed to treat me to dinner as a celebration of my new job so that will be something fun anyhow.
Bill-that walking place sounds great, and then barbeque after, what a fun day.
Penny- ugh, I can see how that heavy duty stuff would be a lot, i’m glad you don’t have to do it fulltime.
Gardenerjoy-the yoga sounds good, and yay for energy boosting poses.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning, happy new month.

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Bill, the annual bbq takeout treat sounds good. Kudos for not overeating as part of the treat.

Curly, the food truck outing sounds fun. Sometimes I like it when others dominate the conversation because it takes the pressure off me but it can definitely get to be too much at times.

Joy, it sounds like you and dh might be feeling some of the stress of this last year easing off. That was a lot to work through and things are looking better now? I'm glad the doctor gave a positive review of things.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan until dinner, but dinner was too many calories to be sure. We had a friend over and I made a higher calorie dinner than we usually have. Not only that, but I'm sure it was kind of high on the sodium. I didn't like the number on the scale this morning, but I'm pretty sure it will be down a bit tomorrow if I just drink lots of water and eat more like normal. I did get a good hike in yesterday with my weighted backpack, but today I've taken the day off and will do some housework for movement. The weather yesterday was cooler, 77 but with some humidity. I can't believe how much water pours off of me in the humidity. We just aren't really used to that here most of the year. Most often it doesn't even seem like we sweat here with exertion because it evaporates instead of wetting our clothing.

I did get my food for the hiking trip all taken care of except to purchase some flour tortillas right before I go. Next up is getting my clothing ready. Since I will have my car clear to the trailhead I can take things that I won't decide on until the last minute. I will probably take less clothing than I have taken other years, because it simply isn't as cold even at high elevation. I can just layer including using my raincoat which I always take.

I hate to wish my life away away, but I do kind of wish the heat away therefore I am happy that it is August 1st already.

Penny Happy new month to you and I hope if you're working today it isn't too crazy.

Curlyjax Social situations can be trying at times. I'm sure we all have some friends who talk too much and a few that we wish would talk a little more.

Bill I'm sure many people think Arizona is flat, but it isn't, especially compared to eastern Massachusetts. I just love big rocks and I'm sure the Reservation is really neat.

GardenerJoy I'm glad you got reassuring news from the GP. Health concerns are sooo stressful.

Well moving on now to housework, before I lose what little motivation I have.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

Today, I'm celebrating that I met my July exercise goals. And kept going on my streaks -- daily exercise (5 years + 1 month), daily stretching (over 9 months), and every third day strength-training (2 months).

Exercise +35, 1410/1400 minutes for July
Old 08-02-2021, 05:28 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - American essayist, novelist and playwright James Baldwin born (1924, Harlem)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Yet another terrific walk, CREDIT moi, this time with DW, DS, and DIL in Mount Auburn Cemetery to see a newly designed area. They had hired a renowned landscape architect to make a neat area simply gorgeous. It included planting 11,000 perennials. As amazing as that number is, the head gardener had told DW that it was a "rolling 11,000" because they had to replace them each time eaten by rabbits or deer. In desperation, at one place they had substituted Prickly Pear. "Escalation," noted my DS. Looked like a cactus to me as in: should oughta be in Arizona. But DW assured me that they're native across the entire US. Take that, deer!

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was, again, designed for a hot summer night: deviled eggs, pasta salad, and green salad with Bing Cherries for dessert. The evening was cool - just very pleasant. I could live in weather like this.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for meeting your July goal - and for your continued long steaks of success.

Karen (karenrn) - Flour tortillas are an interesting choice. Do they last especially long? Did you read that we lost a Massachusetts hiker on Camelback Mountain due to heat stroke? Sobering reminder that heat is real.

curlyjax - Kudos for finding a rational eating path among a dozen food trucks. When I'm in a group where someone dominates the chat my mind just takes me thinking about something on its own.

Penny. - First time I've been wished, "happy new month." Do your RL friends find that odd?

Readers -
Quote:

what to do . . .

To do the experiment, you will need a Response Card to help you counter the sabotaging thought, I want to keep eating. Make a card that says:
Code:
Even though I feel like eating more, it's worth it
to me to stop now. I really want all the advantages
in my Advantages Deck to come true. Besides,
the desire will go away once I get involved in some-
thing else.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:45 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Today's adventure is worthy of the name -- I'm going to hike at Shaw Nature Reserve. This is about the peak for prairie flowers. Also, about the peak for chiggers and ticks, so I'll use my bug spray generously.

Exercise +45, 45/1400 minutes for August
Old 08-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Hello from Peru. Today is my last day here. I have thoroughly loved this place. The people are so welcoming. I have loved practicing my Spanish. The Inca Trail was quite a challenge. We climbed three peaks including 13800 elevation. Yesterday we hiked to Rainbow Mountain which is 17000. It hailed. So impressive watching locals lead horses with tourists, then running down the mountain in sandals to catch the next fare. It made me determined to finish just one trip.

I have just eaten what has been served and enjoyed the cuisine. I fell in love with the children in a small Quetchan village of hand weavers. Each woman put out her wares on a blanket. I bought beautiful things and the women spoke with such gladness about their work. We were their first group since the shutdown and weaving is the only source of income. Very moving.

I may return at some point to teach English here.

wave
Old 08-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. After completing my work weekend my mind really focused on food, specifically a bbq chicken salad from a restaurant nearby, but I stayed the course and abstained.

Maryann, your travel sounds wonderful and the hiking must be incredibly challenging. Lol at seeing locals run up and down in sandals. Humbling, indeed.

Joy, congrats on another month meeting your exercise goal.

Bill, happy new day! lol

Karen, I can't remember the last time I had company over for dinner. Good job getting right back on plan.

Curly, just a few more days of work? You're almost there!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #11  

Good morning,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight slightly lower. I really need to have a totally on plan week to feel good going in to my hike. My phone has been acting up a bit, so I'm heading in to the Apple store this morning to see if they can diagnose anything. I may end up with a new phone. I don't really want to shell out the money, but I do want to be sure I have a phone that is working well.

Penny Congrats for staying the course. I know I always feel better when I do that and it makes it easier for the next time.

Maryann So good to hear from you and to hear your trip has gone so well. You must feel really great about being able to hike such a strenuous hike and do so well. That is just super.

GardenerJoy Have a great walk and don't bring any pals home with you (chiggers and ticks). Congrats on being so faithful to your exercise plan.

Bill We do have a lot of prickly pear here. I see many in the neighborhood when I walk Otis. One is full of fruit right now. If only I made jam. I did hear about the gal who died after hiking some of Camelback. Dh and I were just sick about it. Hearing that her new friend went to the top and left her alone heading back to the car (if that is the whole story), was just awful. Any good hiker knows that you don't leave someone alone when they aren't feeling good, especially not in this heat. As for tortillas, yes they last for weeks. It isn't that I love them, but I don't want to have something that gets moldy.

Okay, I'd better get moving so I'm at the Apple store when they open. I hear I can probably get help without an appointment if I'm there at 10.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:22 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Naturalist Alexander von Humboldt completes 5 years in Latin America (1804)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was two hours in the dentist's chair preparing to replace the ancient fillings in two teeth with crowns. Ouch. First world complaint since I have access to a dentist and can afford the work. The truly interesting part was the first time I've been given digital impressions of my teeth. Instead of stuffing my mouth with a wad of clay, they stuck in a camera on a stick that took a zillion pictures that the computer stitched into a 3D model of my teeth, gums, and jaw. Really neat to see the finished product being rotated about by the technician. She then pressed the button and it was sent to the lab that manufactures the crown. Felt like I was in the 21st century.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the leftover St. Louis Ribs. Unfortunately, chewing wasn't yet up to par with the temporary crowns in place so I saved two of my three ribs for later. You'd think that I'd have an immediate loss on the scale. Maybe even write a book that dental work is an effective diet method. Alas, I'll go eat the ribs later and adjust to the temporary crown before its three-week lifetime expires.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Shaw Nature Reserve sounds like a fun and serious place. Ticks are no fun, though.

maryann - Waving back to Peru. What a terrific visit to the women doing hand weaving. You've climbed to some serious elevations there.

Karen (karenrn) - Happy adventure to the Apple Store. Hope they just mend your current phone - even though that might be the first time they did that, LOL. Love the notion of Prickly Peat jam.

Penny. - Kudos for abstaining. Happy New Morning to you.

Readers -
Quote:

what to do . . .

Then do the following: . . .
1. Plan a distracting activity for after your meal.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yay, today is my last day at my current job! I have to do a very quick reassessment and write it up and tie up some other loose ends, then drive an hour to my agency, turn in my laptop etc and do my exit interview. Then tonight I have to be on zoom briefly before the town selectmen as they approve me and 3 other folks who are taking town jobs. I'm glad I don't have to go in person anyhow.
yesterday I took a 30 minute walk at lunch which was lovely, it is so nice out. I have been working at eating just a little fruit in the morning (and my coffee of course!) and dealing with hunger pangs for as long as I can. It does help you feel less groggy and I do eat less that way.
Tonight I also need to prepare for my trip on thurs, as weds i'm going to the beach later in the day and won't get anything done when i get home, i'm sure.
Maryann-your trip sounds so wonderful and inspiring!
Karen-you definitely need a working phone on your trips. I would love to taste prickly pear jam.
Penny- yay for being done with working weekend.Good job staying the course.
Gardenerjoy-have fun at the nature reserve.
Bill-ouch indeed for crowns, but yay for the technology. DH had a lot of dental work done, and woo those crowns were pricey.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #14  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan except for a very small bowl of ice cream after dinner. I've had a couple cups of coffee already before getting on the scale, so I'll pass and do it tomorrow. I did have a pretty productive day yesterday. At the Apple store I learned my phone was warped (couldn't tell until the cover was off) which was why it was acting possessed. It wasn't even able to be traded in, but I had another old one that I traded in. I think perhaps it warped from being in my pocket when I got done hiking. The shorts hang loose when I'm standing, but when I get in the car they probably don't and I'm hot. Anyway, I'll have to remember that and not do it with the new phone. I got the iPhone 12 mini. I don't like the big phones cause I do like to keep it in my pocket when I hike. I also got my Garmin Inreach mini reactivated for my hike and met with our financial advisor and finished that chore.

I tell you, I am a scatter brain. just got up to do a few things and completely forgot I was in the middle of this. Oh well, in the meantime I did online ap for dh's supplemental Medicare insurance and prescription plan, so that is taken care of. Today I have a couple of errands and do including getting a cover for the face of my phone. I go to a place that replaces it for $10 after the initial cost, so it's cheaper than the Apple store. I'm having the pre hike anxiety kicking in, so sleep isn't great and I need to make a good list so I don't just think about what I need to do and worry I'll forget.

Curlyjax I'm so happy for you that it's the last day at your current job. Just not having the commute alone will be wonderful. That will save you a ton of time and energy.

Bill That thing they use at the dentist's office is great. My dentist even has the machine to make the crown, so it's one stop shopping except for really complicated ones like an implant, then they send it out. I can imagine ribs would be a bit difficult after a time at the dentist and with a temporary crown.

Waving to the others and I'm going to get up and get going.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #15  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's walk went well with lots of grasses, flowers, butterflies, bees, assorted other bugs, and birds. I heard rustling noises, but my eyes aren't attuned to spotting reptiles or amphibians, so I didn't see any of them. No bug bites!

While I was out, I had the idea to get a pedometer. For all of my recent success at exercise, I've got an imbalance -- too much stretching, too little cardio. Steps will help me fix that. I looked at FitBit because that's the most recent thing that was successful for me. They only sell watches, these days. Then, I figured out why. Most people who want a simple pedometer (and don't care too much about complete accuracy) just use an app on their phone. After minimal research, I went with Google Fit which they put together in conjunction with the American Heart Association.

So far today, I have 1725 steps. Many of those are walking around the kitchen while reading my ebook and waiting for my tea to steep. Ordinarily, I would just stand for that, so it's already created a change in my behavior.

Exercise +115, 160/1400 minutes for August
Closed Thread