Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #46  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday I took a 10 mile hike around a loop where there were few hikers. The weather was beautiful and still a lot of flowers. When I got home I took Otis for a walk. The rest of the day went downhill. I ate my lunch and then just grabbed one snack after another. One thing good about the snacking is it didn't involve any sugar. Weight is up significantly from yesterday morning. Today I'm trying to manage my thoughts and get a plan in place for the day. On the top of the list will be at least 2 liters of water. Exercise will be walking Otis and doing a video workout of some kind. It's hard to assimilate all the news and hard to think about not being able to plan some things for the foreseeable future. We are doing fine and day to day is okay, but it's just the little things like planning my summer. So minor compared to so many people but for me, who is such a planner, it's my little struggle.

Curlyjax I'm so glad your computer issue was an easy fix and that the kids don't care about a feast for Easter. I haven't thought about what we'll have yet, but maybe something grilled cause it's so nice to be outside right now.
Bill I'm glad you got to see dgd. Thank goodness for all of our technology during this time. Glad you had an extra onion for ds too. We had a neighbor come over for a cup of sugar or flour, before all this started. It was someone we have yet to meet, but one of the older kids came to borrow, which I thought was great.
Penny Yes, I can see why all of that would be a bit depressing. Thank goodness dh did not get RIF'd. I know my husband is a bit worried about his small company. So much uncertainty. It will get better.
GardenerJoy Good job on stretching out so many days between shopping. I'll say I can't make it that long, but it's many fewer trips that I usually make.

Hang in there everybody and stay healthy!
Old 04-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The store had much better procedures than when I last went, and much better than at Target on Monday. They limited the number of people in the store; nearly all employees wore masks (and almost as many of the customers); there were frequent announcements asking that we practice social distancing in aisles and lines (recorded by a local sports broadcaster, so that got everyone's attention).

Exercise: +30, 285/1300 minutes for April

Penny: It's all a lot to deal with. The shopping days are stressing me out, but it was a little easier yesterday than Monday and a lot easier than two weeks ago.

BillBlueEyes: A friend of mine traded a neighbor a roll of toilet paper for an onion, yesterday!
I bought postage stamps from one of my neighbors last week because the idea of going to the post office was really unappealing. I promised that I'd be a pen pal with my dear-great-nephew, but didn't realize that I only had two stamps in the house. I left money in an envelope under a rock on our front walk. The neighbor kid brought over the stamps and took the money. We didn't even see each other.
DGN sent me a picture of his favorite transformer and a blue morpho butterfly (their last field trip before quarantine was to The Butterfly House). Yesterday, I mailed him a drawing of a robot as Easter Bunny. She had a pronounced resemblance to Rosie, the Robot from The Jetsons.

curlyjax: We're going low-key for Easter, too. Unless the weather is nice enough to grill, we'll probably just do leftovers and consider it a treat to not cook.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

I think Penny's lament of depression resonates with everyone at some time or other in these weeks. I hit a low yesterday morning. Nonetheless, I took my favorite walk on the greenbelt at Mom's house and DH convinced me to head up to Truckee for end of the year skiing. Those two things help.

The scale right now is not mirroring the triumph of three weeks abstinent from sugar. That is alright. I know this is my path. Gardenerjoy's essay on Peanut Butter was very helpful. I haven't touched it for two days. I continue to listen to OA podcasts which are terrific and help with my long commutes. I have a plan for today and that feels good.

I feel very positive of the gains I am making in the tech world. This whole experience professionally has helped me enter the new millennium. This is a goal for me. I want to leave teaching on fire with new learning. I certainly got my wish. Silver linings.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Samuel Taylor Coleridge recites, "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan ..." (1816)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had my first doctor's visit by telephone. The weird part is that this doctor absolutely loves his multipoint connected heart monitor that he lubricates and sticks to my check for a comprehensive reading. Then declares it to be beating just fine. Over the phone, I read him my reading from a home-style Omron Upper Arm Heart Monitor - one I've have for at least ten years. He accepted that. I'm good to go for another duration. It felt odd. If I had a giant growth on the tip of my nose he'd never have know. I was pleased to tell him my weight since I'm down a few for the year. He reminded me that I had to keep going to the doctor even when I was embarrassed that I'd gained weight. Duh!

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. DW made chicken tenders on the stove since it was raining too hard to use the grill just outside the back door. This distance-keeping could go on for a long time yet.
​​​​​​

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Absolutely love the trade of a roll of toilet paper for an onion. Maybe we'll revert to a bartering economy. Neat that your DGN is into the blue morpho butterfly - a real beauty.

maryann - Glad that you're using this crisis to upgrade your tech skills. I read how much traffic increase there is on the internet and am both surprised and pleased.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the extra snacking. I'm having a tough time planning for the summer, also. Either we're free or we're in lockdown. I do have a few books chosen.

curlyjax - Yay for fixing a computer by pushing a function key. I've hit that key myself to then spend a long time trying to figure out why my computer believed itself to be offline.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 12 How to Stay at Your New Weight

Okay, now you need to learn how to stay there . . .

Continue to plan and monitor what you eat. As you learned on Day 41, at some point you can experiment with planning and monitoring mentally. Even if you're not writing down a specific food plan, though, you'll need to have a general plan of what you're going to eat each day. After a while, you might be able to get to the point where you don't necessarily need to decide the night before what you're going to have for each snack or meal. You know you'll most likely choose from among your regular menus.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 281.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Ate wayy too much Easter chocolate yesterday. DD is on a health kick and insisting she doesn't want any sweets so that will be helpful for me. I have hidden some chocolate but may end up tossing some. If only someone else in the house could hide it from me!
I was reading the Rick Steves forum yesterday to see what avid travelors are saying.Before the pandemic I was thinking of going to Italy next spring on a Rick Steves tour, but i'm going to wait awhile, I can't imagine being stranded in another country while this happened. I would love to visit my friend in Oregon in the fall which we had talked about, that seems safe if the virus doesn't re-emerge, but the idea of being on a plane doesn't thrill me. It all makes me re-evaluate some of my goals in life and what i want to spend money on- which also may be less in retirement than I thought. Of course the most important thing is to be healthy and go from there.
Karen: I know what you mean, i'm a planner too. And you usually get so many visitors in the summer!
Gardenerjoy-yes, i like the limiting of people in the store too, although its a pain not to be able to zip quickly in for a few items.
Maryann- the OA podcasts sound great. I need to push myself technically too.
Bill-Many of my elders are checking in with their docs by phone too. I guess its a way to keep the appointments running so there isn't a huge backlog once we're able to roam freely again. And you don't have to wait forever for the doc to see you either!
Penny- hope things are feeling better today.
It really feels like Friday to me and the sun is shining, hooray!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #51  
Green Tomatoes

I have my second Zoom meeting of the crisis today. I hope to find ways to build community for myself and others, even in a time of social distancing.

I'm putting a new bear picture on the mail box today -- this one is titled "A bear going on an egg hunt."

Exercise: +35, 320/1300 minutes for April
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #52  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP. XC Skiing was awesome. Plenty of snow. There were so few people I actually worried about being are there a little. It is nice to have a few around in "whistle range" in case something silly happens. Absolutely beautiful, though. I was going to go to the store but I think I can make it until I head home or the boys come up for Easter.

This morning, I have to dive into Economics. I have a final meeting at 11:00 a.m.and then I will put school away for the weekend.

BBE: Congrats for the few pounds lost for the Dr. that is a big deal.
Curleyjax: It is my plan to have a candy free Easter. I will get Sour Patches for my son which he loves and I can't stand. then I have bought him some Basil Olive Oil which he loves and a few other non sugar gifts.

Wave to all.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #53  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Feeling a bit better after the shopping stress yesterday. I had DH come with and we managed two carts and half the list each, because we got a lot. Two weeks worth of food for six people with snack requests is a lot.

People in the store were not able to social distance and a lot of people, including employees, were not wearing masks.

I ate a lot yesterday after the food was stocked, so today I need to have a low cal day.

Bill, nice that you could have an online doctor visit. We used a phone call, a photo, and email to visit the vet for our dog yesterday. The dog liked it much better, I think.

Curly, I completely forgot Easter candy at the store yesterday! Ugh. Baked goods will have to do for baskets, I suppose. I'm glad the computer issue was an easy fix.

Joy, that is so great the shopping went smoothly. Most of our pantry items are still sitting in the garage. After wiping down cold stuff and washing fruit, I needed a nap. lol

Maryann, your day of walking outside and skiing sounds amazing.

Karen, that's so great you got to hike still. I did get an email from the board of nursing saying retired nurses could reinstate their licenses for free without requirements, out of state RNs could work without getting a new license. Scary, it shows how desperate the situation is going to get.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #54  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan but weight is still higher. This morning I got up and took the ten mile loop hike again. My friend met me at the trailhead and again did an out and back. It worked out perfectly cause then I put my ear buds in and I'm listening to The One-In-A-Million Boy by Monica Wood. I see I have almost 4 hours of listening left, which means one more loop hike if I don't have company for part of it. I had some anxiety yesterday and didn't feel like I could concentrate on anything, but I finally forced myself to make one mask. I called it the prototype cause I know I will want to make some changes. It worked out pretty well considering my sewing machine will no longer go in reverse. I'll make a few changes to it, but it does take me awhile and gives me something to keep my mind (and hands) busy. Dh is such a peach to listen to me when he gets home. He is rock solid and usually I feel like I am too, but the uncertainty gets to me as I know it does most everyone. I also know I listen to more news than necessary.

Penny I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today. I bet that is a huge haul of groceries. I went too and it seems the prices are up a bit, but it could just be that I'm not going often and decided to get some things are the regular grocery store that I usually get at Costco.
Maryann I'm glad you had such a great time skiing. I know what you mean about nobody out there. I usually just love that, but then I think about what if I hurt myself or got a snake bite. Luckily I have cell coverage, do you?
GardenerJoy The Zoom meetings sound great. I need to arrange a call with my cousins and the with my PNP gals.
CurlyJax I know what you mean about reevaluating goals and plans. At least right now travel just doesn't seem as appealing. Of course, that will likely change. Oh and my company, they come fall and spring, never in the summer. That's when I go see them cause it's way too hot here.
Bill So the doctor didn't even notice that you lost weight? I guess they don't realize what a big deal it is for us to lose weight. What is an Omron Upper Arm Heart Monitor? A blood pressure cuff that also tells you your pulse? Does it do an EKG?
Yes, I agree this distancing could go for much longer. I can't quite imagine our country doing adequate testing and contact tracing, but I hope so, cause I certainly don't want to stay home until we have a vaccine. Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Time to get cleaned up for the rest of the day . . . not sure what it holds yet. Stay safe and healthy all of you!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:40 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - The Shogunate is abolished in Japan (1868)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, around the neighborhood and through a nearby park. Was painful to see the kids' climbing structures wrapped in DO NOT CROSS tapes. Don't know where the kids are dissipating their energy. I saw about a dozen people. Almost all wore masks; some, like me, wore gloves even though it wasn't that cold. The Nails Spa was closed. One coffee shop/bakery was closed. A private school was closed. The retirement home seemed sealed against the outside world. Strange times.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including no snacks. DW made one of our favorite dishes using real (from a dead cow) hamburger. She rotates among a number of choices of proteins in that dish. She didn't tell me in advance. I spent some time thinking that whatever it was it came closer to beef than most, LOL.
​​​​​​

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for putting out a picture of a bear. I still don't know how many kids walk down my street. Maybe I'll take a day sitting in the living room just to watch.

maryann - Amazing to think of a XC ski trail that is that private. Understand the desire to have someone in whistle range. Smart to buy candy that your DS likes and you don't.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for making your first mask. Yep, my Omron just measures blood pressure and heart rate. Despite its name, it doesn't "monitor" - just takes a measurement. It's way too simple to do an EKG.

curlyjax - Yay for your DD's health kick. Maybe she'll become a good partner for you. Think of the joy you'll feel tossing that Easter candy. My SIL would be in Rome right now on their planned-for-many-years trip if they hadn't cancelled.

Penny. - LOL at a telephone vet visit by your dog. Two full carts is a lot of groceries. This social distancing is not uniform.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 12 How to Stay at Your New Weight

Okay, now you need to learn how to stay there . . .

Create menus. Research shows that successful maintainers tend to eat many of the same foods from day to day. Most of the maintainers I've worked with have about three different breakfast and lunch menus and about eight different dinner and snack menus. They don't limit themselves to these menus, but they eat these meals most of the time. Having limited options makes life easier. You know which kinds of food can keep you at your Lowest Maintainable Weight. And you know which foods you'll need to shop for every week and how long it will take to prepare each meal.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 281.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #56  
Green Tomatoes

I'm aiming for a quiet, introspective weekend -- no news, very little social media. We'll see how that impacts my anxiety.

Exercise: +30, 350/1300 minutes for April
Old 04-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

We have almost given up going almost anywhere. On Monday we are planning on braving the drugstore, grocery, and post office. Figure we might as well get it done in one fell swoop. Our town requires face coverings to be worn in any public building like the grocery store. The last time we went about 2 weeks ago, we were the only ones wearing masks and I guess now everyone will be.

We’ve even cut back the walks after seeing a video about how virus particles move in the air. My DH has what he calls “the risk-factor trifecta” - diabetes, chronic bronchitis, and age. My main risk factors are my weight and age. I am very very lucky I have no health issues except for this darn hip/leg thing.

It’s funny, I never really think about myself being either old or fat. I mean, I realize intellectually that I am, but DH and I still both watch TV and talk about some “old lady” character - and then we look at each other and laugh because we realize we are probably older than the “old lady” character on TV.

Bill - I really like and agree with the Beck comment today about eating many of the same foods from day to day. And I wanted to thank you very much for posting these daily, it is very helpful. (PS - LOL on the real hamburger.)

Old 04-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Saturday morning and a slow wakeup. The kids are both up already which is unusual They may be switching around rooms today which is going to involve mommy "helping" but hopefully as little as possible. Finally the rooms will be dusted anyhow! I'm hoping to do a socially distancing walk with a friend, and will check in with some other people. I did most of the grocery shopping last night so yay for that. Two days of some sun will be awesome too.
I think the fire department is taking the easter bunny for a ride thru our town streets right now, its been blaring the siren for awhile. Either than or we're all in real trouble I remember reading something about it.
Karen- that's right, I forgot summer is your quiet time because of the heat. Good job on the mask! I couldn't find mine yesterday so I wore a scarf. I have GOT to pick up here.
Penny- interesting about the grocery store. Last night one person started coming down my isle and then zoomed off when she saw me.Wearing a mask i feel irrationally safer.
Apparently one customer made a big fuss because he couldn't use his reusable grocery bags. We haven't been able to do so for awhile, i don't know where this guy has been.
Bill-yay for real hamburger! I use ground turkey or chicken, but haven't ventured into other things like TVP yet.
Maryann- yay for x- country skiing, I haven't done it in so long.
Gardenerjoy-good luck with your zoom meeting.
Oh geez, I better get going, I can hear the kiddies mildly arguing going to be a long day!
Old 04-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #59  

Good Morning, Coaches.

CJZee: It sounds like you live in a tourist location? I haven't heard of an area being so stringent. My backwater Ag town is really still only "suggestion only" on any restrictions. Lots of independent rednecks. Also, we have so few cases reported people are not as concerned.
Penny: Three cheers for the store trip. I bet the kids will enjoy the homebaked Easter sweets as much as candy. Hopefully they aren't that tempting for you.
curleyjax: What brought about the room change for the kids? It is true moving always forces a cleaning. It is one of the silver linings
BBE: Meatloaf for dinner. I made it last week and DH said, "how did this get out of the rotation?". So I am making it for Easter supper.
Karen: You are making me feel guilty about making masks. I have a fabulous sewing machine I put up on a shel once my son was born 17 years ago.

As for me, I am excited the boys joined me up in Truckee for the weekend. The "Easter Bunny" brought DS xc country skiing equipment. One day early. How did that bunny know? Bought it from a local shop by credit card and they delivered to the cabin that day. The skiis are demos from this short season. I get to have company while I am skiing plus I get to support a local business. I hope DS likes them.

I have a food plan for today and more fresh fruit from my shopping venture last night.

Wave all.

Last edited by maryann; 04-11-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #60  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is slowly inching down again. As much as I'd like to lose some weight I will be satisfied with inching down a few pounds and at least not gaining during this time. Most of my problem is portion sizes which are too large, which is par for the course for me. I had an hour and a half walk with a friend this morning which was great, but it was on the greenbelt and so flat that it doesn't seem like much. I think I'll get a hike in again tomorrow. Once I got home we gave Otis a bath. I think for now bathing him every couple of weeks will be the best we can do since his groomer is not open. I trimmed my own bangs this morning and I might have to trim his too.

Maryann Have a great weekend and enjoy the skiing with ds.
Curlyjax I hope you can get the bedrooms swapped without too much fighting. And I agree it's a good time to get things cleaned up in those rooms. Hopefully the kids will do that.
CJZee I am the same way about not thinking I'm old. I do remember my Mom telling me she never felt old. She'd even see young men and think, "Oh he's a hotty",. . then remembering she could be his grandmother. I guess that's just the way it is especially if we have our health.
GardenerJoy I hope your weekend plans help your anxiety. Mine is up and down and I am coming to accept that, but working on finding the best ways to reduce it.
Bill I'm also one who likes the quotes at the bottom of your posts. I'm also one who eats the same few items for at least breakfast and lunch. It makes it so much easier for me and I like them. You're doing so well staying on your plan and not eating snacks.

Okay, on with my day. I'm going to check Pinterest for shorter hairstyles and be ready when I finally get to see the hairdresser again.

Closed Thread