Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 AM   #61  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

DS did make it in this morning--his flight was delayed, but he's here! We spent the day running errands and hanging out. Our planned 'adventure day' into downtown Chicago was cancelled due to weather. My brother and his son, unfortunately, had to cancel their trip--their flight was cancelled and they couldn't get here until Sunday. Since my grandmother's birthday party is tomorrow (Saturday), they're going to postpone the trip until some other time.

The kids made soup to bring--and I just remembered that I committed to bringing a green salad. I guess we have a grocery run in the morning! (and I'll probably send the "kids")

There were groceries needed, so I went into the Indian grocery store with him, but we split ways at the 'real' grocery store--I just didn't want to be around that much food. I went to Target instead and bought Kleenex and conditioner. I'm sure at some point, I won't find food stores quite as hard, but right now, even going in the gas station convenience store works out my resistance muscle.

Credits for today--weighed (same), sugar (barely down), ate all my products sitting down, drank lots of water. Read many of my cards, which as I said, are all over the house.

nationalparker: Congrats for standing strong against donut day. Donuts are dangerous.

maryann: An audio book sounds like a better use of money than a dinner out! BTW, did you know that most libraries have audio books available for download?

onebyone: Congrats on recognizing that spiral -- and your power to stop it! We all commit (and succeed) one day at a time. And a slip is just a mistake--we get to try again!

joy: I hope your snacks went the way you wanted today.

BillBlueEyes: Hope your cold is on its way out. Big credits for making your wife happy!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - U2 Powers exchanged for Soviet Coln Rudolf Abel (1962, Glienicke Bridge)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another day of nursing the cold, filling waste baskets with tissues. I did make it to the grocery store to replenish boxes of tissues as well as Cara Cara oranges, lettuce, carrots, cukes, and the like.

Dinner was such that it was easy to serve myself a small portion since I just didn't feel like eating. DW went to the play that we had tickets for in the evening. I sat at home feeling sorry for myself - snacking. Yep, snacking doesn't cure feeling sorry for myself. It was like the day didn't exist.

onebyone – Kudos for "'I *know* I can right myself" - love the Avatar of the wagon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for strategizing how to control snacks.

maryann - LOL at "the scale owed me." Such a string of accepting statements.

nationalparker – Standing down donut Friday is always a Kudos moment.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for gathering all the fledglings back in the nest. Congrats for raising kids that you can send for a grocery run.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate:

Eat in a relaxed atmosphere. The less stress you feel, the more easily you'll be able to pay attention to what you're eating. Do what you can to eat in a quiet, nonstimulating environment.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 80.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

My determination disappeared at mid-afternoon when I needed it. I think I'll try mid-afternoon posts to see if I can summon determination at the moment when my day gets complicated and frustrating. I put a post-it note on my computer monitor to remind me.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I have been busy planning DH's memorial service; I feel like I'm planning a party I don't want to go to. I'll be glad when this is all over with. I also need to think about collecting stuff for taxes, filling out paperwork to transfer DH's financial stuff to me, looking at college scholarships etc. Plus daily food and laundry, and anything DH would have done ie fixing the visor that fell off one car. Knock wood the winter is manageable so far. I wish I could take off more time from work but I want to save vacation days for the spring.
I still have this wierd occasional dizziness that I think is hormonal, or maybe stress related as well, which keeps me from stretching as I feel worse if I get on the floor, but i need to get to do it somehow.
Food wise, I am finally eating more veggies and fruits. I haven't stopped with the sweets yet but I'm not craving them since there has been so much around!
happy weekend all!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Day Four of veggie and fruit focus. Lunch will be a green smoothie. Snack will be blueberries, yoghurt and cottage cheese. Breakfast with a veggie scramble. Dinner will be roasted veggies and a little protein.

"Martha" behaved herself at the pep rally. I felt almost know anxiety with the new combination of meds. That would be terrific if the combination of meds work with less side effects. I have a three day weekend. I am taking two days to have fun with the only requirement to walk and gym.

BBE: Get well soon.
curleyjax: I can well imagine the stress causing dizzyness. Continue to be gentle with yourself.
Beth: I absolutely agree it is important to stay out of all food food shops if possible. I stay out of clothing store during my no clothes year.

Have a great weekend, all
Old 02-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

Reporting mid-afternoon that I had a giant salad for a snack. If I eat anything else before supper, it will be an orange. I'm determined!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #67  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Day 6 ... close to wrapping up week one. Ate about 90% on plan today - missed the afternoon snack while running errands. Had two malted milk balls and three chocolate covered peanuts at different times. DH made himself a steak for dinner and I did his sides - garlic mushrooms, etc., but I went with a spicy turkey burrito bowl. A lot of pans for one meal, that's for sure between the ground turkey seasoned, the black beans seasoned, the cilantro lime rice, etc. Kitchen is closed and cleaned. Credit. Credit for cutting up carrots and cukes as well for each snag veggies today. I should have snagged them more! I've put in about 3-4 hours of work today and I"m getting ready to wrap it up. Aiming for personals in the morning. I'm not doing well with those lately. If up late, I'll come back and add to this one. I value this group so much, and am thankful for you all!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:41 PM   #68  
formerly bethfromdayton

Default Grandma is 102 today!

We had a lovely birthday party for my grandmother. One of my aunts gave her a 'jogging suit' because Grandma had admired one and thought it would be comfortable and warm. There were jokes about her exercising and the look Grandma gave another aunt was a 'if looks could kill' look. She's still got it!

There were some folks who didn't make it--my brother in FL, my brother in CA planned to come but his flight was cancelled--and one of my cousins and his wife were still at the hospital for the great grandtwins born on Thursday! She asked me how many grandchildren and great-grandchildren she had and I counted them up for her (10 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren (counting steps), and 2 great-great grandchildren). I'm the oldest of the living grandchildren. The great-grandchildren range from 32 years to 2 days.

So, that's the family story.

The Beth-diet story is that I stuck with my products today, and did okay with all the food--there was a lot of food there (and we brought some) but I kept telling myself that it had nothing to do with me. We went back to my aunt and uncle's afterwards (more food) and I had to tell myself some more. But I stuck with it completely. Soon, I'll have to reflect on how much I wanted and would have eaten if I were eating--and how much more it would have been than I needed.

Biggest credit today--dealt well with all the food around me. Weighed (down--now at exactly 20 lbs down), checked sugar (not down), drank lots of water. I only managed 4 of my 5 products today--the schedule was just so messed up.

Only one aunt actually asked about what I was doing--and the others near by asked as well, and I used wording from Joy: "My doctor put me on a medically managed meal replacement plan." Those really are magic words.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Sacagawea gives birth to Pompey (1805, Fort Mandan, South McLean, ND)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Not much happened other than to sneeze and nap then nap and sneeze. Hope that I never get really sick since I'm such an awful patient with a cold.

Did walk to join friends at a local Mexican Restaurant - CREDIT moi for the exercise. It wasn't exactly raining so we put small umbrellas in our coat pockets and marched away. I ate OK. There were too many chips before the meal as the conversation changed topics more frequently than necessary. A group of four can stick to a discussion only as long as the shortest attention span of one member of the group. My friend was into Woolly - the quest to revive a Woolly Mammoth from collected DNA. It's an interesting quest because they don't actually intend to create a Wooly Mammoth but a modified elephant. It's more interesting to me in the abstract; I'm not fond of the thought of designer animals.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – A giant salad is such a neat snack.

maryann - Yay for a three-day weekend when some me time is required.

nationalparker – Such a clear thought, "Kitchen is closed and cleaned."

curlyjax - Keep the faith with so many new things to face.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Happy 102nd Birthday, Grandma! Love the gift of a jogging suit. Supper Kudos for using the explanation of a doctor's prescribed diet.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate:

Focus intently on your food. Savor the taste of each bite, noting the flavor and texture of everything you eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 80.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #70  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

In the dumps mentally on the healthy eating. On the scale this morning and it shows that I'm back up to where I started. Frustration hovered and continues to hammer at me. I'm stressing because I'm giving myself the deadline to fit into my spring clothes for the long work event. I can't wear jeans, obviously, and now I'm bigger than anything I have for spring (and about bigger than I've ever BEEN).

Stay the course.
Beth - your gathering sounds so wonderful! Love that so many were able to make it, even if a few weren't. And all the more special because, as you say, she's still got it!

Bill - I hope you're feeling much better, speedily! I couldn't agree more with you on your denunciation of "designer animals" ... I even feel that way with how breeding has messed up so many of our household pets - brachycephalic dogs, etc. Yet they get bred and sold and bred and sold. No.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches:

Beth: Neat to hear about you grandmother. Mine lived to 100. She was wearing nylons and heels to nearly the end. These women are precious. They have lived through the greatest changes the world has ever known. My GG was born before women could vote. I am so grateful I had so many years with her.

BBE: It is very interesting to me when the difference between men getting together to gab and girls getting together to gab. Science will never change that me thinks.

gardenerjoy and nationalparker: How did the "determination" go. Glad to read you're both on fire with determination.

News is good here in the West. Since the med change and my reinstitution of green smoothies as meal replacement, the scale has dropped to four pounds BELOW ticker. Unbelievable. I am very grateful. The beginning of Lent marks the end of my clothing "fast." I had a great time in the stores yesterday hunting for bargains. I filled in some gaps and freshened things up a bit. I was shocked by the crowds. It has been so long since I was in "the fray." Woke up with "Martha" sitting on my bed but have called some people and taken a little action so that hopefully I'll just be able to enjoy this beautiful day with the boys.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-11-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

I had a very light lunch at a friend's house and come home hungry. I ate something that wasn't a salad or fruit and justified it as part of "lunch" since I didn't eat as much as I normally would. I'm skeptical of myself, here. So. The next thing I eat will be a giant salad and, later, one of our usual suppers, and that's it.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #73  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi all! I'm new here. I've been on 3FC for a few weeks this time, and a couple of periods in the past, and never knew what the Beck Diet was. In fact, I saw it in a list of other Diet's and automatically ignored it, since I've never been interested in following a specific set of food-rules. But now I've found out what it is, I think it's going to be an excellent tool!!
So I bought the book and have been reading it this weekend. I've got a pretty good Advantages List draft - no doubt i'll add/tweak it a bit in the coming weeks. I've got a few reminders cards and even a 'worth it' card from my recent trip overseas when I stuck totally to plan and lost 1lb. And I've filled out escape plan templates for "Feel like Eating but don't need it", "Want to go off Plan" (eg holidays, business trips, nights out) and "Food Pushers".
So i'm a total beginner, but I think this will be good to get started on whilst i'm still motivated with my diet (calorie counting, largely), and so that I'm ready to dive in and use these methods when I want to lapse.
I don't do the emotional/stress eating I don't think, I don't snack, or eat sweet things really - my problem is just enjoying going out for a drink, eating out a lot (business trips, holidays, and living near lots of good restaurants), and portion sizes. Historically I've been good for about 3 years at a time, then put on weight for 3 years, then lose it for 3 years, then put it on for 3 years. You get the gist. This last time I've been my highest weight ever by quite some margin though, and I really didn't like it and I really don't want to be there again.....
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #74  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tough

Coaches

Finding it tough to stay on plan. I had another don't care to reign it in day. Frustrating. But we begin again. Scale continues to hold at 265 but will climb again if I hold this behavior. DH returns to work on Tuesday and my week begins to feel more like normal starting tomorrow. I think that will help me right this ship. I will keep trying.

billblueyes what is really wrong with the idea of "bringing back the wooly mammoth" is that the humans on this earth of ours are taking all the space for themselves and pushing many species to the brink of extinction. There is no space for wildlife vs. population. Animals always lose. Given that imagine how much space wooly mammoths need. No win for them. Foolhardy and selfish on our part. IMHO...
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #75  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

Had a great family brunch out and didn't find it too hard to sit there with my empty place while everyone else ate. This one was with my mom's side of the family :-). There was interest in what I was doing but only loving support. I am so fortunate in my extended family.

Credits--weighed (down), checked sugar (down), lots of water.

Unfortunately, because of crazy schedules (and a nap) today is the second day in a row that I ate 4 instead of 5 products. I have to do better next weekend--and it's a weekend thing--weekdays are more scheduled and I stay on target.

My exercise plan was 50% successful--I did my two walks but not my resistance bands at all. I give myself credit for 50% and tomorrow will schedule walking and bands for the week so that I get them all in.

ange82much: wecome!

onebyone: I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. Do you know what is it making things so challenging right now?

maryann: I'm so glad to hear the smoothies are helping you. At one of my classes, I was told that successful maintainers often keep a meal replacement in their daily plan, well past the active weight loss phase.

Joy: Big credit for recognizing your thinking process--and for making a plan to go forward from there.

nationalparker Do you know why it's hard right now?

BillBlueEyes: I hope your cold is about over. Everyone in my life has ADD--conversations run the gamut and shift directions sharply!

curlyjax: Thinking of you and your family--and wishing you inner strength
Closed Thread