Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I woke up sick with more cold symptoms this morning. So, I cancelled my plans for today and am sticking with low-energy plans.

Breakfast was mostly on plan, but I ate a few bites over what I had allotted. Food yesterday was pretty close to on plan, except I did not leave food on my plate at dinner.

Bill Blue Eyes, since your kids probably can't appreciate it, I'll say thanks on their behalf from saving them the work on divesting your old work material! Great job for being on plan!

Gardener Joy, great strategy you have for catching up on writing and exercise! Good luck!

Mary Ann, your hike sounds amazing. I really appreciated the quote you shared, "by consenting to be bound I am free". That is a great meal planning strategy you shared too!

National Parker, I felt very much the same way in my duties yesterday. Cooking, dishes, laundry (all while DH relaxed), then cleaning out the basement together.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #62  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday afternoon

Mid-afternoon post. Just back in from a five hour round trip to drop the SO at a railway station. Autumn and winter Sundays mean maintenance work on the lines so passengers sometimes have to travel by bus for part of their journey. The SO is on his way to SE Asia so it would have been a poor start to the journey. A glorious and cold autumnal day, brilliant sunshine and blue skies after heavy rain, wind in the north, leaves and sea looking lovely.

We left at 10am and I took my packed lunch. This, friends, was one of the most horrible I have ever made. I bought a jar of sauerkraut a few days ago and it has to be eaten within three days. Weird, I know, for a fermented product and it's also pasteurised, I now realise, which makes it even stranger. Not buying that again and I'll probably make my own. Anyway, I've been eating it at most meals. In brief, my advice is not to eat it with tinned mackerel and/or cold peas. Another lesson learnt. Which was, in fact, not to be distracted when making a packed lunch.

It's still light here so I'm going to pot up some tulip bulbs and wallflowers. My plan is to try to do something in the garden for an hour every day. I am very behind. I managed to split some hardy geraniums yesterday and move them into the flower bed under the sitting room window. And I did the full exercise routine yesterday as well. Credit.

gardenerjoy, I agree about disheartening goals. Phrasing them in a positive way puts a whole different spin on them.

Bill, much kudos for gearing up to look into those boxes of work material. The SO's dad had a similar challenge so we gave him a very good shredder last Christmas. It's really helped, so much so that the main bedroom has become usable again!

nationalparker, I had a similar disaster with chicken the other day. I'm looking for a quick, tasty one-pot, probably chicken, dish that I can make at my mother's so I'm testing different recipes. My new idea is that I'd get groceries delivered, throw the dish together and then have more time to spend with Mum. My idea is that I'd avoid browning any meat but this could be wishful thinking.

maryann, lovely to be out in the fall air. I'm with you in spirit.

FutureFitChick, you sound as though things are moving there! Good luck in the basement. I tell myself that any progress is good progress in those situations. (We live in a place where you often have to move one thing to get another.)

Time to get out to the wallflowers.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #63  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another weekend that zipped by with me in the kitchen. I'm vowing to NOT do that next weekend. I am frustrated. I think because when it's done, I wash and DH goes to the living room to relax with a book. I don't want to get stuck with cleanup but then i guess I'm nagging when I mention it. This has to be addressed. This evening I made spicy chicken and sausage gumbo - but i served with white basmati rice instead of the brown rice that's on our plan. It WAS better, but back to brown next time. Maybe tomorrow it's just going to be catch as catch can and I get a night off from food prep. We have leftover pasta e fagioli so no pans to prep. I am resenting the prep from unprocessed stuff and all the pans/cleanup. I need an attitude adjustment today. The chicken never did tenderize, so that ended up being tossed because it was terrible. I didn't want to give the dog chicken that'd been cooked with a few jalapenos and a can of green chilis.

Got my office work done tonight, so that'll help for the morning startup. I just want to take a hot bath with bath salts and relax. I think I need some time to just "be". And not be cranky.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Caregiver Appreciation Day (Since 2000's)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Took no snack whatsoever at Happy Hour in the morning, CREDIT moi, even though the usual assortment of homemade goodies were sitting there calling my name. The teenagers had made pies to sell for some worthy cause. They looked really good, but I didn't buy one since eating a whole pie is a lot of calories. I did buy one slice of pumpkin pie for DW who gobbled it up not unhappy that I turned down her offer of a bite.

Walked, CREDIT moi, the standard Sunday walk with DW noting that many deciduous trees had frost-damaged leaves. This happened because we had continuous warm weather then a sudden freeze. The poor trees had no temperature warning that it was time to suck down their sap to store in their roots for the winter. Thus, the leaves are now dead with the protein stuck in them to fall off. A gentler approach to freezing weather is better for living things - including me. I felt annoyed to have to wear a warm coat in mid-November since I hadn't worn a warm jacket yet, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Interesting that the goal to "not fall further behind" was demotivating. Gotta remember that since being behind seems to be a frequent state of life for me.

silverbirch – You're kind to take such a long drive to make life easier for your SO. You certainly convinced me that that was a terrible packed lunch. Kudos for surviving.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for cold symptoms serious enough to cancel work. Hope that clears up quickly.

nationalparker – Yep, basmati rice is just the best when that's what the recipe calls for. Neat that you recognize that you need some time to just "be".

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5 Week 1 - Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1 Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Face Reality!

As time goes on, you'll have lots of sabotaging thoughts, but if you've been reading all your Response Cards regularly, you'll be ready to counteract them. The dieters I counsel tell me over and over again that these cards make a big difference for them. The cards prepare them to overcome their sabotaging thoughts, change their mindset, and do what thy have to do to lose weight. It works for them - and it'll work for you, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 61.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #65  
in development

Default Monday lunch time

Lunch today is so very much better than yesterday's salad from some kind of mixed-up 1950s/nowadays austerity Britain. Today: lettuce torn into bite-sized pieces, cucumber cut roughly on the bias, small carrot sliced into chunks, some avocado, a few pumpkin seeds, some thinly sliced ham cut into slightly bigger than bite-sized pieces, some EVOO from a jar of artichokes and a little apple cider vinegar. Eaten peacefully in the office.

A good day is unfolding although I must try to work out why my head and neck ache when I use the desktop computer in the office. I think I'm doing everything right but I can't be. I'll be doing some hill sprints in a couple of hours time. Weight was down a little this morning.

Bill, you are doing so well at Happy Hour nowadays. People will definitely start to think of you as someone who doesn't eat snacks. (Have eaten my fair share of appalling food in the past so I managed to survive yesterday's lunch. I don't know what I was thinking about or, rather, not thinking about.)

nationalparker, if you do all the cooking perhaps DH could do some regular washing or drying up?

I must go. Good luck with keeping on plan today!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

My writing and planning went well yesterday but it was fueled by too many snacks. Let's see if I can add healthy eating and healthy portions today. I'm not doing some basics that work for me -- plan today's meals first thing (done -- credit!), measure my cereal, eat the same snacks at the same time each day.

Weigh-in: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +50, 425/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #67  

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

This morning the scale read the lowest it has been in more than 2 years. Oddly, it seems like a mystery why it is moving so fast (for me), as if I didn't deserve credit for it. But, I guess I do. Breakfast was on plan, but I got full way before finishing my normal portion. I think I am almost more excited about that than the scale this morning. Lunch and dinner were on plan yesterday, although I planned and ate portions larger than I needed. Today's dinner is planned and lunch will be leftover chili.

My cold is still lingering, with some unpleasantness in an ear as well. I will be at home most of the day, except a workout tonight (that I skipped last week, sadly). I will be digitally fighting for free turkeys for the food pantry this week, so wish me luck!

Bill Blue Eyes, great job avoiding the food and taking your walk!

Gardener Joy, great job getting exercise and writing done! Also great job for making a plan for better snacks!

National Parker, it sounds like I wrote the post about cleaning up the kitchen after spending long hours cooking and doing weekly meal prep!!! It is super demotivating (as far as healthy eating) when I don't have help, and I do always feel like I am troubling DH when I ask him to help. Of course, his nature is that he wants to schedule everything I ask him to do for a later point in time, which often still does not get done. Argh!!!

Silver Birch, I was LOL at your lunch escapade! Great job getting in the garden and getting your exercise done. I need to do some gardening (today would be ideal), but am scared off by the cold. Hope the hill sprints went well!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 11-13-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! I’m safely home and it’s such a bummer to go from 80 degrees to 30ish! But actually, it was coming back to the messy house, crabby DD etc that was more of a bummer, I always have trouble with re-entry to real life. Yesterday was better; nice to go to church and see familiar faces etc. And DH said he realizes and appreciates how much I do, so that was nice.

My hip/leg is back to hurting again so there is more incentive to lose weight, since excess weight certainly doesn’t help. I have been faithfully doing my exercises for about 10 weeks but I guess I need to stretch more at night or something.

Nationalparker and Futurefitchick I hear you about the cleaning up! DH does pretty well with chipping in with the dishes, especially if I just walk away and leave it. However he has never done the laundry and it doesn’t occur to him to clean in general until things are really bad. I don’t expect him to do chores when he’s not feeling well, but the rest of the time….We really need to get the kids doing more but it turns into such a battle I tend to give up.

Have to get going- can’t believe its Nov. 13 already!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #69  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Rushed out of home this morning so I could stop at the market's bakery and pick up a treat for a coworker's birthday since I didn't think to prep anything. A double fail because she was out today AND I ate more than I planned on the goodies. Argh. Instead of my no sweets, it was "bring 'em on!" At least they went quickly. This has not been my best effort today. Dinner was quick reheat of soups ... but added candlelight to jazz it up. HA.

Christmas is six weeks from today. I think I need to decide what I aim to accomplish - I'm either maintaining or trying to lose weight but I know I don't want to start the new year any higher than I am now. I could kick myself because I started THIS year where I wanted to be! WHY DID I LOSE CONTROL!?!?!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Yale University announces plan to go co-ed (1968, New Haven, Connecticut)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – An overbooked day from 8:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. The early appointment was with a dentist - just not the way to start a day. I have to make an appointment for some work. My dream in life is to have perfect body parts until the day I gracefully cross the bridge. My head is full of lack-of-reality that got set when I was a young kid that I seem reluctant to let go.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks even though my evening was spent before a table with top shelf cheeses, crackers, and smoked salmon. The smoked salmon was the hardest to ignore. It has few calories and many benefits. However, to get it to the mouth required a thick slice of rye bread spread with cream cheese. And one would hardly be enough. Very pleased to be on this track of no snacks.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for getting back to basics that work for you.

silverbirch – Now that's a lunch fit for a king! It's a good day that contains avocado, pumpkin seeds, and ham chunks.

FutureFitChick – Yep, wishing you luck ""digitally fighting for free turkeys for the food pantry." When you lower your sights a bit, our neighborhood has some five turkeys wandering about that we'd love to see you gather.

nationalparker – Ouch for "a double fail" with the well-intentioned bakery treat for your co-worker.

curlyjax - Welcome home! Kudos for a run of ten weeks with your exercise.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5 Week 1 - Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1 Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

what are you thinking?
You might still be having sabotaging thoughts about creating or reading your Advantages Response Card. If so, these responses may help.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to remind myself of the reasons to lose weight. I know them.
Helpful Response: I know them - now. But think about all the times I strayed from a diet in the past. I sure wasn't thinking of all the advantages of sticking to it then!
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 61.
Yale University announces plan to go co-ed (1968, New Haven, Connecticut)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't manage to follow my normal snack plan yesterday. Both times that I ate the wrong thing at the wrong time, though, I was physically hungry and I ate an apple. I used to think I wasn't capable of healthy off-plan eating. But, I used to think I wasn't capable of eating a salad for a snack, and I've been doing that for weeks now.

I attribute the drop on the scale to measuring my cereal. I'm pretty sure my serving size doubles when I don't measure.

I have a plan for today (credit!) and anticipate few challenges, so I aim to follow it without thinking about it too much. That generally makes for my best days.

Weigh-in: -0.5 kg, Exercise: +50, 475/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Quick check in. Looking forward to ten days off. Two pound drop of whatever. It helped I forced myself to the gym and kept the kitchen closed at night. Weight one pound from ticker. Anxious about all the meds in my body. I can't tell if it is better or not because my work schedule is tough and I am holding an annual party that always freaks me out. The truth is this shall all pass whether I overeat or not. So I won't.

Last edited by maryann; 11-14-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #73  
in development

Default Tuesday lunch time

Another fantastic salad. I love salad so much. Today's had one or two sun-dried tomatoes in it.

I did the hill sprints yesterday. Two walking very fast and three - I couldn't help it - running. This is really against my rules as every time I've tried to run over the past 10 years my lower back (SI joint) has complained. Yes, it did a little yesterday afternoon but that seems to have gone away today. To be replaced by pains all over my body, including neck and head. What is going on? I don't think this can be laid at the door of the sprints except, perhaps, indirectly. As when I increase the weights I lift, my body demanded food urgently after the sprints. I gave in and ate some bread and butter, and I did again this morning. I haven't eaten this for weeks. [eta: just read gardenerjoy's mention of cereal and remembered I also ate a bowlful of cereal last night.] Could this be the source of all my aches and pains? Could it be working at the office where I do need to improve my desk set up? Heaven knows. I'm doing my stretches regularly, and doing them today, so I hope this pain will move on and I'll be young and lithe again. Or at least one of those.

maryann, so true. No point in overeating so let's not bother.

gardenerjoy, eating salad and measuring cereal are great habits!

Bill, glad you went to the dentist. I've been spending a lot of time there over the last few years, as I think you know. Teeth help with the way the face looks, I now realise (again) so there's vanity involved in their upkeep, as well as functional and pain eradication reasons. I can see you couldn't take the smoked salmon off the rye bread and bin the cream cheese and rye bread at your event last night. It's just not done in most social circles. (Remembering how my mother threw the sherry into the flower border at my cousin's wedding. I don't think anyone else saw.)

nationalparker, soup by candlelight sounds very nice indeed.

curlyjax, good to see you and that you're safely home!

FutureFitChick, getting full before you expect is a great thing. Did you throw the rest of the breakfast away?

Must go. I'm putting a proposal together.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-14-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! I saw the Christmas candy in the grocery store and indulged…those boxed choc covered cherries, which fall into the category of only available once a year. They are gross yet I crave them.
Today is a new day, regroup.
Credits for making a new recipe of cod and cheesy spinach, with a side of roasted sweet potato and roasted asparagus, plus I ate salad with tuna for lunch. Today I have my salad again and a clementine, so I’m getting in my veggies and fruit.

Bill- Good for you resisting the treats! I like to occasionally buy smoked salmon and eat it on a cracker, or rolled up with a little lower fat cream cheese.
Maryann- Party planning can indeed be stressful. I bet everyone who attends really enjoys all your efforts.
Silverbirch- good on you for those hill sprints! Looking at your computer desk set up is a good idea. I am constantly playing with the one at work to adjust for hip comfort, bifocal use and neck strain. It’s hard to achieve the optimal height for everything and still be able to reach the keyboard!
Nationalparker-Christmas is six weeks away- ack!! I can’t believe how quickly it creeps up.
Gardenerjoy-I hear you about over thinking the food. Hard to achieve a balance for me sometimes.
Futurefitchick-good luck on the digital fighting for free turkeys! My goodness, technology has changed how we do so many things!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #75  

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I was on plan with reasonable portions yesterday until dinner. DH forgot what day it was, so stir fry didn't happen. And, I was not feeling well, so I substituted oatmeal. I've been dealing with a fibromyalgia flare up, which is painful and frustrating. And, I still have an intermittent deep cough and ear issues. I did go to my workout last night, as it was the last class with my instructor. I almost didn't make it through the whole thing, but managed to hang in until the end.

Today, I've reduced my expectations for my high cognitive tasks, and will take frequent breaks. Also, I won't submit anything or respond to important emails today. Food was near plan for breakfast (I switched to oatmeal because chewing is uncomfortable right now). Lunch will be soup. Dinner will be dosa prepared by my husband and a small side salad.

Bill Blue Eyes, great job on no snacks! You are right about rationalizing the benefits of smoked salmon that don't outweigh its accompaniments.

Curly Jax, I am glad you received some accolades from DH! I have a really rough time coming back after a trip, and have for my whole life really. Hope today is an on plan day for you! Your food for today sounds wonderful!

Gardener Joy, great job making healthy substitutions when the plan wasn't fitting your needs.

Mary Ann, good luck with so much happening in your life!!

National Parker, bummer about the treats at work. Glad you were able to stick to plan at dinner. It is a great time of year to reassess what we are aiming for.

Silver Birch, ouch for aches and pains! Good job doing the stretches. Yes, I threw away my remaining breakfast because it was cereal with milk.
Closed Thread