Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #211  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking relief.

Coaches!

Weighed officially today and reached my 274 goal= 10lbs off. Credit. For a reward I want to get a spring jacket. Maybe this weekend I'll shop!

Otherwise quiet day. Got the last of my work from the kiln.I have some really nice pieces. Super happy about my progress with the clay. And I think I have enough work/direction/focus to submit to a serious gallery. Deadline is Monday. In order to have the best chance at getting this I need a good quality print of my large woodcut. My friend has agreed to print it tomorrow for me by driving her SUV over the inked block. Clean paper and plywood on both sides should be enough cushion, well maybe an old blanket in there too. My topic is the suburbs so prints using the paver, an SUV and the next one will be with a aod or lawn roller as a press are all in line with my topic. Once I realized that I knew I could apply. Awesome. Whether I get it or not who knows. First things first. I'll post an SUV printing pic if it happens!

Have a good night.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #212  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi. Circumstances required that I drive, but I was pleased to find a parking space right in front. You'd think that would make me suspicious. It didn't. But I am experienced enough to not be surprised when I came out to find a parking ticket for parking on the side of the street where street sweeping was about to occur. Ouch. The timing was just right to avoid getting towed which would have added a bundle of dollars and hours to the problem.

Eating was close to plan, CREDIT moi. It's hard to judge dinner since it consisted of the food from a reception - as planned. Folks like to put out more cheeses than veggies and fruits; certainly there was no salad. I did the best that I could. My real triumph of the day was to face the pain, uncertainty, and shear unpleasantness of shopping a brick-and-mortar store for walking shoes. I got the full treatment. First, I walked across a pad that captured the way my foot interacted with the ground. Then stood on the pad for a digital analysis - both of which were immediately emailed to me. Then the insoles of my old shoes were pulled out to show exactly how I had worn them unevenly - the very condition that their pricey shoes and pricey insoles would prevent. I was hooked on the neat technology, and happy to pay for the show. I wore the new shoes home.

onebyone – Congrats on your persistence to reach your 10 pound goal. LMAO at your SUV printed wood block.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat picture. I love to hear about weddings of grown-ups. You got me with "pastrami-spiced celery root" - adding that to my Bucket List with trepidation. Wishing your MIL well in her heart catheterization procedure.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Always a good plan, "I will resist unplanned eating." Sending supportive thoughts as you process the loss of your Alaskan friend.

spanky - Olive Garden frightens me; my only trips there have witnessed HUGE plates of pasta going down. Kudos for having an emergency can of tuna and for not being afraid to use it. I'd love to go to your rummage sale - I'd bring home more than I had donated.

nationalparker – My take is that there are less calories in a "tortilla scored on a sale" - but then I don't write diet books, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - My deepest sympathies for having to shop for clothes. Particularly for having to shop someplace other than REI which feels so comfortable. Kudos for keeping up with Suzanne.

love2garden - Congrats for working the marital communication until you got the bath sheets that you wanted. I like the sound of those red ones, myself. Kudos for decluttering with a plan for donating your finds.

Readers -
Quote:
day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
Your sabotaging thoughts about weighing in might be similar to the thoughts you had about your weigh-in last week. Here's another sabotaging thought that might surface tomorrow.

Sabotaging Thought: I know it's reasonable to have lost only a half pound this week, but I'm still disappointed.

Helpful Response: My weight is going down. That's good! It means that what I've been doing is working. I should celebrate each and every half-pound weight loss. If I hope for something unrealistic, I'll be disappointed. I'm going in the right direction. That's what counts. I really deserve a lot of credit for using the mindset and behavioral techniques I've learned and for weighting less than I did when I started this program.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 236.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #213  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I stuck with my plan yesterday and the scale moves down. Credit. I have not solidified my plan yet today, as I may need to be in Denver for lunch. I have breakfast and dinner, though. credit.

BBE, ouch for the parking ticket and major kudos not eating over it!

gardenerjoy, lovely photo! What a great surprise!

spanky and love2garden, yay for decluttering, thus enriching your environment!

onebyone, thanks for the new thread and kudos for your 10# goal!

Karenrn, yay for taking the dog and keeping up with hiking Suzanne! PS the book really took off on another (religious tangent) I would not recommend unless you are really into that.

nationalparker, kudos for revisiting your journaling and your spacers!

Ok, off to my day. I already checked something (last yr. Colo. Taxes) of my most procrastinated list. credit. Fortunately, I get a little money back.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #214  
Green Tomatoes

MIL went through her procedure just fine. We expect her to be released from the hospital this morning.

I've managed to go way off the rails with food in the last couple of days for reasons I'm not understanding. I guess I need to get back to reading the new book -- reading just the introduction seems to have put me in pre-diet mode where I'm eating things that I know I won't be eating when I get serious about this. But that's kind of dumb, because I was already serious about this!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #215  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food a little above plan yesterday. Today I'm going to walk to see a movie called The Salt of the Earth about the photographer Sebastiao Salgado, his photos and travel. The theater is 2+ mlles away and I'll see 10:10 a.m. movie. It's cloudy and not going to be hot today, so should be a great walk, credit. We have happy hour with some friends which will be dinner. I have some vegetable soup thawing for lunch.

Okay, a report on yesterday's shopping trip. I certainly wouldn't call it successful. I went to a couple of the larger stores in the mall and wandered around. Didn't see much. Or should I say there was tons but most of it didn't appeal to me. Wondered, "what are people wearing?" Sat on a bench out in the center area and looked at people and clothing was really varied. Left the mall without one package, couldn't even find a handbag I liked. Stopped at Chico's on the way home and did buy 3 tops on sale for a total of $56. Loved that. The long shorts she showed me had stretch in them and had to be pulled up (no zipper) and I knew my arm couldn't do that just now. Anyway, it was a start.

I've said this before and I'll say it again hoping I hear myself. I just want to get about 15 pounds off and then make an effort to accumulate a wardrobe. It doesn't need to be large. I just need a few more dressy things, and not all that dressy. If any of you have good ideas, let them flow my way.

Spanky I'm working on some organizing in the office. Have done quite a bit of shredding. Bought a binder with plastic sleeve things to keep "user's guides" in, plastic large envelopes that I'm going to keep our health records in, and took the photo printer (which hasn't been used in years) to the Goodwill. Little by little it's getting done. My husband reorganized the small pantry cupboard last weekend. It was nice to have his help and he could be objective about what's in there.

Love2garden At first my arm was in a sling a lot. I think what stabilizes it is the surrounding muscle and tissue. It's called a 3 part proximal humerus fracture. It is common for these fractures to heal the way mine is. If things were really out of place, like it first appeared, I would have had surgery with a plate and screw to stabilize. Anyway, it is doing great. It was not a compound fracture or anything like that. Based on how it is feeling, I think things are healing well. I'm really healthy, and I think that probably helps.

Nationalparker I think we're kind of diet twins right now. I make a little headway and then nothing. I know I'm up a pound and hope it isn't more. Will get on the scale again soon. I'm gonna hope we both can really hit it and get a few pounds off soon.

Onebyone Congratulations on the 10 pound loss. Yahoo. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your work, too.

BBE Bummer about the ticket and super kudos for not eating over it. Hope you like your new shoes. I bought some shoes at a store that had a similar technology. They are just some running shoes (I don't run), but they are extremely comfortable.

Lexxiss Well I am Christian but it doesn't sound like you're that hot on the book. Anyway, Christian is pretty broad and there are so many different beliefs within that heading. Yay for getting money back on the taxes. I can't believe how much our taxes went down when I quit working. Oh yeah, so did our income.

Gardenerjoy Somehow I just knew it was a wedding. That's a happy surprise. Glad your MIL went thru her procedure well. So glad stents were invented. I used to be an ICU nurse in an open heart unit. Lots harder to recover from that surgery than having a stent placed.

Everybody have a great day!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

When I try to catch up on postings, I validate what I suspect - I am wayyyyy too busy. I can't get a handle on my schedule or on the scale. Is this life normal for my age and place or am I doing something to create this overbuys-ness? It is certainly not conducive to the healthy habits I cultivate. Or are the healthy habits a part of the problem? GRRRR. What I know is that in the last three weeks I have had to travel to birthdays, funerals, recitals. I have had a medication withdrawal, an ear infection, and a two day procedure that threw me for a loop. And work and AA responsibility continue to steal time from down time. The scale is up 2 pounds from ticker but more than that, I feel I have lost the groove of the stricter plan I enjoyed

And to respond to Nationaparker : Yes it is unfair to be three weeks on plan, two days off for a net effect of no progress.

But. . .

I just got off the phone with my best friend who I have know for over thirty years. She has put weight loss, dating, and clothes shopping on the back burner for three or four years now because of frustration and disappointment with the over 50 dating scene. In that time, she has gained forty pounds, arthritis, high blood pressure; she told me today her blood sugar is elevated. I am worried sick for her.

So . . .

I understand and accept I don't have an opt out clause. Despite my over scheduling, I have still kept within 10 pounds of my goal. I will continue to do what I know brings me the most peace - exercise, remaining accountable, tell my truth, shun food industry addictive foods (although I lapsed this morning and feel crappy with it in my system.)

Today, I will try to slip into work to tie up some loose ends. If no one expects me in, I will be able to get my ACTUAL work done. Then I will feel more in control. I will go to step class. I posted here - check. I will have a better lunch than I had breakfast. I will be grateful for the process.

Onebyone: super congrats on the ten pound loss.
gardenerjoy: What a wonderful wedding picture. The happiness radiates from the two.

P.S. The medical procedure was a perfect success. I am "healthy as a horse." Add that to my gratitude list.

Last edited by maryann; 04-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #217  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Today is a "Fasting Day" and I'm on plan so far, despite Olive Garden leftovers strewn across the work kitchen.

Yesterday was severely white knuckle, but I kept asking myself "A or B?" "A" being "eat a garlic breadstick" and "B" being "have a great Weigh-In Friday". I chose answer "B" all day and got through it.

Really, it's not so much about the stupid breadstick as it is about making a habit not to snag random, unplanned calories. The "Resistance Muscle" of Beck fame.

Tonight my mini-meal is a much-looked-forward-to cup of New Orleans Red Beans and Rice with steamed vegetables. Yes!

Happy Friday!

Last edited by spanky; 04-24-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #218  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker Journal writing seems to let us say what is hidden from ourselves otherwise. When I re-read what I wrote last month, I sometimes wonder who this person is.

Stay well, and relax each of you.

Birdbath water had ice coating this morning after several weeks of above freezing weather. I had protected the 5 small pots of flowers by putting them near the sliding glass door (yes Bill, insulated with double glass but you well know that only helps some.) I put patio table over them. Glad I did.

Housework today and frustrated with a bit of knee pain for the first time in months. Guess I need to schedule my "lube job" the shots of lubrication that the Doctor injects into the sack at the knee. Usually takes a month to get the procedure authorized so I'll call Monday for sure.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #219  

Height: 5' 2"

Spanky Sometimes we go for perfection when progress is also to be valued. Sure agree with exercising that Resistance Muscle, tho.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #220  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm not in a positive frame of mind tonight so I don't want to spread any negativity here Apparently I did at home as DH asked me if it was "that time" [sorry] and no need to do that more. A reminder to me to start tomorrow in a more patient, tolerant mood and let him know I love him and appreciate him. I think I'm allowing work stress and weight loss frustration to encroach on our life and that's not how I want to spend this spring.

Food today was not great/not bad, but could definitely have been better. I'd say about a "C+" ... That won't cut it to result in any improvement, so aiming for a solid, on track weekend.I'm finding that when I had a "good" number on the scale, I rummaged around in my closet to find better looking outfits, but when it's up - it's the same ol', same ol' ... I keep thinking I MUST get back to the pink and also the green book. But then I also think, hmm... if the pink and green book work, why another book? So will look forward to your reviews of that one! See ... in a negative mental spot. Enough. Plenty to be thankful for.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #221  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - World Penguin Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was close to plan, CREDIT moi - fully on-plan until a surprise reception appeared after an evening event. Such wouldn't usually be a problem, but a top shelf bakery had provided their best. I did dodge the mammoth sized slices of to-die-for chocolate cake to have a more modest pastry. Even the little plates were large so I did have the pleasure of only using a corner of mine. Good enough for the day. I expected the scale to punish me this morning; it jittered down two pounds instead! Naturally, the logical eating unit of my brain has already concluded that a bakery product for evening snack would get me down two pounds every time. When I get Dr. Oz to publicize my results, I'll be rich. Thinking about it, the speaker had flashed up a photo of the fMRI scan of the brain of a schizophrenic before and after group Cognitive Behavior Therapy. The after scan showed the reduced stress that the psychologists expected. It stroked the I'm-doing-the-right-thing section of my brain like a positive feedback because the Beck strategies use CBT - even if neither group nor schizophrenic. I'll take a positive hit however indirectly it comes.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, just standard stuff. NSV for the day was to wear the smaller size trousers that I want to wear in Italy in a few weeks. With just the loss of a few pounds I'm down a waist size. I'm over-the-top happy. I've been waiting for this event for months. It feels good. (Note to self: the first thing you did in your new trousers was to eat a pastry for dessert - not smart.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good news to hear that your MIL's procedure went well. (Am wondering if you meant 'stent' when you wrote 'shunt.') Amazed at your experience of dropping into "pre-diet mode" - a new idea for me.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for getting Colorado taxes behind you. I like your correlation of scale down with sticking to plan. However, there's no Dr. Oz in that, LOL.

maryann - Thanks for "I don't have an opt out clause" - I need that right now. Glad you're "healthy as a horse."

spanky - Super Kudos for ignoring visible Olive Garden leftovers with your spot-on "making a habit not to snag random, unplanned calories." I needed you last night.

nationalparker – LOL at "if the pink and green book work, why another book?" - Yep, more of a good thing must ALWAYS be better, LOL. Kudos for coming out of negative thinking to see, "Plenty to be thankful for."

Karen (karenrn) - Cool move to walk to the movies. Congrats for scoring some tops for a good price. Ouch for the reminder that your arm isn't in condition to pull up those shorts.

love2garden - Smart to protect your 5 pots of flowers from an April freeze instead of just whining about it.

Readers -
Quote:
day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In
Once I develop realistic expectations
for weight loss, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 236.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #222  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile getting a good start

Coaches

Good Morning! Tip o' the hat to you all!

Bright sunny day today. yay! Perhaps, maybe, I just might be able to print my big block this afternoon. Yesterday was a bust as it snowed, so the air was too cold for my ink to work properly. This morning I am painting "en plein aire" inside a library for the second time. Same library as the first one. i have missed several plein aire indoor events with them due to my hectic schedule. This one is a must do. We are painting Jan, farmers' market vendor and board member. Very colourful character and she specifically asked for me to be there to paint her. She likes my work. My plan is to paint some part of her. I am hoping she raises her eyebrow and wears a hat. We'll see. I'll take the time to do some full body sketches in my sketchbook though. We are done there around 2or 3 and I'll go to my studio, correct the part of my big woodcut that needs correcting and if it's decent temps I am driving home to pick up DH who has agreed to drive over my print for me today. So..... cross your fingers!

Foodwise. Up 2 this morning. I have been doing a very diety behaviour since I returned to WW. I eat heavy for dinner on weigh-in day and then also the day after. Thursday night and Friday all day. Reason: it's the furthest I am away from weighing officially again so I can chance it. Most probable outcome: zero weightloss for the week or must less than it could be. Emotional fallout from this decision: frustration at slow weightloss, disappointment, depression at "not being able to do it". Conclusion: It is emotionally easier for me to deal with the negative I can't do it feelings than the I'm not going to do this (overeat/party like I'm 129lbs) feeling. I choose Party Right Now. In order for me to have significant weightloss I must change this mindset. I need a new way to party hard. help!??
Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #223  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Today was my Weigh In day and I'm down 1/2 pound. Struggling to be positive about this--it is a loss and not a gain. But I felt like I worked harder than that. I read all of what Beck has to say about this, but still wishing it were a whole pound....

So. I'll count it as a week of Resistance Training [never ate one bite of the Lab Week treats!], Beck Practice, and engraving good habits into my brain. Did Stealth Exercise consistently for three weeks now and increased each week. Kudos for all of that. Also, I did lose 2 pounds for the month.

Determined not to go wild this weekend as we celebrate DH's 50th birthday and travel to look at another funeral home for sale. The forseen "Traps" are 1.) Party and 2.) A day on the road. Better get some cards going!

Happy weekend to all!

Last edited by spanky; 04-25-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hello dear coaches!
I had a few days away with DH; we left the kids with my parents and tootled around the countryside. It was GREAT and a much needed break. We stayed at a B and B which was beautiful and had the house to ourselves. the only drawback was the breakfast- everything was sweet, even the yogurt. the owner only does continental breakfast which i didn't realize. so we started off the days feeling kind of blegh.
But we made some good food choices along the way, sharing a lunch sandwich a few times, and choosing for a simple soup for lunch. Other than pigging out one time on really good pizza and home made chocolate chip cookies, I did pretty well and haven't gained anything substantial. Did lots of walking which probably helped.

Came back to real life at home feeling depressed about various things including family tension with DD, things that aren't working in our life, wishing i lived closer to my parents, and of course unemployment. I need to learn a way to come back and not be so miserable for the first night.

But one thing I can control is my eating and exercise, so will get back on track!
Have finally caught up on the posts and enjoyed keeping in touch with everyones lives.

Maryann- thanks for your feedback on managing family food too, a few days back. I think your level of busyness is quite common for this stage of life- and speaks to you having a full life with many connections, which is great- thats something I feel I am lacking in some ways. But it does make for feeling overwhelmed at times for sure!
Gardenerjoy- the wedding picture was beautiful! Always such a happy event, and somehow even more moving for middle aged folks.
Lexiss- glad things are sounding better for you now! You seem to have great coping skills for hard times, you are so motivating for me!
love2garden-I feel your pain on having others candies and cookies around. It would be much simpler here without other folks sweets around. It can be exhausting to ignore that stuff!!

Waving to everyone else and hope the weekend goes well! glad to be back!

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-25-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #225  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

OneByOne - CONGRATS on the 10-pound mark reached. Great work! When I did ww, I had friends who would go exceedingly off plan the day of weigh in and fought to get back on track the rest of the week. I couldn't do that as I can't rein myself in quickly.

Spanky - Congrats, due, as well, for this week's loss - you worked hard for that and staved off a great deal of temptation. I'm not doing as well with facing that down. Every few days, more donuts/baked goods/bags of Easter candy are coming into my office.

CurlyJax - Kudos for being able to set aside a bit of the worries/concerns and take the mental break needed to recharge a bit on your getaway.

Bill - I'm excited about your two-pound drop following a surprise reception with bakery wonders. I seriously think at times our bodies need a bit more oomph to think, oh, I'll get more and don't have to hold onto this. Not sure how quick that turnaround is, but ... at least I can hope. Sounds like you waded that minefield amazingly well.

Decided to try to post a few personals this morning and will be back off and on as I need to today. Feel like I'm getting DH's illness and not feeling my best today. Wanted to get up and get mowing as soon as it was ok time-wise for neighbors, but it's raining... now I think I'll do my marketing and get grape juice - normally a rare juice drinker bc of the calories, but that is often the ONE thing that helps me stave off a cold - purple concord grape juice. Nothing else. I sip it throughout the day and even if it's psychosomatic, I'm fine with whatever. We'll see.

Furnace started making a racket late last night and I ran hollering in to DH who was asleep, worrying that since it's a gas furnace, I needed to call the fire department down the street... he said just turn it off and then determined what the issue was and so will work on that today. Chilly morning. He said it was a good thing that we were home when it happened or there could have been a fire, so instead of being frustrated at a looming repair, I'm thankful that it happened when it happened. Smoothies for each of us for breakfast.
Closed Thread