Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #46  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default bigtime credit

OMG Coaches. Made it out of a wholesale candy warehouse just now. How difficult. Had sugar free candies in my hand and even put them back. I stay away because they trigger me to crave the real thing, so came out with nothing. I will be happy about that tomorrow. Right now I feel, I don't know, depressed I can't have it.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #47  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not my best effort today - foodwise. It is completely true in my home that the more varied snacks/food around, the more I eat. Brought home some treats from Fresh Market at home, and sampled more than I needed to. Dinner tonight is pasta au gratin and I'm going to bake it in a few minutes, trying to time it right for DH's arrival home and then it'll sit while he showers. I will start prepping the salad.

Maryann - LOVE the idea of the countdown to Christmas with the events that are special. I love walking around looking at outside decor with a cup of hot chocolate. I might just do that for DH and me - a fun list.

Bill - You have totally hit the mark with when we're busy, we don't notice hunger or desire to eat at times. I need to remember that and keep distracting myself with projects both big and small...

OneByOne - good job bypassing all the candy! There will always be candy, wherever we are...

CurlyPudge - I'm with you - I'm not going to say I'm never going to eat bread or pizza or whatever for ME because I do believe in moderation. I want to be able to include that in my food plan. I have a coworker who eats at Chick-Fil-A (sp?) daily. Yes, DAILY. Not 5/7 days. It blows my mind, but he loves it.

Off to do a quick clutter control before DH rolls in, light the candles and bring on the cozy as he's had a long workday.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

There is an inverse relationship between amount of daylight and amount of my sugar craving.

How else to explain suddenly devouring much more than my daily allotted (very) small piece of chocolate, along with other no-nos, as the days are growing shorter and shorter?

Food better today. Credit for very brief check in as it is quite late. (No BBE, if I have to get up super early, unfortunately I can't go back to sleep. I remain awake and grouchy the rest of the day.)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #49  
in development

Good morning! I am reading but don't have time to post. The older generation is not well, at different ends of the country. You can easily see what that might look like for us, even though our country is so much smaller than yours.

It has turned cold so I've stopped weighing myself daily in our freezing bathroom. I should move to winter-style weighing, that is, not starkers but wearing night clothes. It's all relative, I suppose.

Food is not too appalling but isn't as tight as it could be.

Exercise is not as good as it needs to be to protect me against cold weather and tension.

Mountain Mamma, thank you very much for waving to me yesterday. It made all the difference!

Bill, the detect cold spots ray gun is 'so cool'. It went down very, very well with the DB as a name day present. I was at work, putting a big proposal to bed, remembered the day, rang home and said there's a present under the bed. The SO handed it over and everyone felt loved and appreciated. I can't thank you enough! It was especially exotic that the recommendation came from 'BillBlueEyes in Boston who we recommended that Hiaasen book to'. The big world can be so intimate which really helps when the going is hard. ... We have some very chilly spots in the house, you know.

onebyone, I may be looking at care homes soon. But maybe I shan't be . Who knows? It is so difficult. Hope your mother's settling in and her new place is suiting her.

gardenerjoy, it's been so busy for you recently. England, all the Ferguson action, nanowrimo. Little wonder you're not quite in tip-top condition.

All, keep on moving! I'm thinking of you. I will be thinking of you even harder when I'm faced with tension, exhaustion and something sweet and not particularly nutritious. Looking ahead, that's likely to happen quite soon. I will work on a response card now, before it does happen.

Last edited by silverbirch; 12-08-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome tomatolcook

tomatolcook

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen to find our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had a series of things to do all stacked atop each other so I planned to make my lunch from the coffee hour refreshments. There's usually a reasonable choice with humus and crackers. Ouch - there were Christmas cookies and baked goods galore. I ate too much stuff then finally found some humus in my own fridge in the afternoon when I finally got home. Planning is good; loosey-goosey planning isn't a sure thing.

Not much exercise happened. I did finish the book about North Korea by Suki Kim. The whole book can be gleamed from the cover description: the children of North Korea's leaders are as instilled with The Great Leader syndrome as everyone else. Or, at least, that's how it appears to a writer, disguised as a Christian missionary, disguised as a teacher of English as a second language. It was never easy to tell who was fooling whom.

onebyone – Super Kudos for escaping a wholesale candy warehouse. Know that you're happy about that today.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for rent checks. Ouch for having to worry if they're coming or not. And Ouch again for "extraneous stress" as the new normal. Congrats that your tenant's roof doesn't need immediate repair. My DS wants a pair of binoculars for Christmas to use to check his roof. My contractor friend has a pair in his glove compartment he calls 'roofing binoculars' - pretty low quality. My preference is for birding binoculars but they're expensive.

silverbirch – Sending supportive thoughts as you tend to the older generation. I once weighed a set of gym clothes so that I could use the balance beam scale at the gym and simply subtract 2.5 pounds to get my starkers weight. That distracted me for a while until I got tired of tracking two sets of numbers that differed by a breakfast, coffee, and some walking, LOL. [Love that your DB likes his "ray gun." Neat to have all that young energy searching for the leaks in your house. Wish he'd come check all my doors and windows because we haven't become draft free yet.]

maryann - Love your family Christmas traditions, especially "Find the Wisemen's Treasure" where I assume the role of person who gets to find it. Thanks for Beck's "I may not care this minute about staying OP but I will certainly care in an hour."

nationalparker – It's certainly true for me also that the varied snacks entice me to eat more. Kudos for a plan in place to make arriving home pleasant for your DH.

curlypudge - I've wanted to try Chik fil A ever since I, finally, found out that it really is pronounced 'fillet.' I just couldn't believe it. We don't have them here so I'm not tempted. Kudos for "went to sleep not stuffed."

Mountain Mamma - Hang in there. It's just two weeks until the days start getting longer. My head has never figured out why December's 'longer' days still leads to our miserable Februarys. Oh, Well.

tomatolcook - Supporting each other as Diet Coaches/Diet Buddies is our goal here. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

Did this make my hostess feel bad? Should I have eaten more, since she'd worked so hard to make the food? Was it rude of me to eat so little?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 207.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today's Advent event was "Secret Santa.' DS and I discussed things we could do for people and not get found out. We promised to check in with each other tonite. I will be on the look out for opportunities for random kindness.

Thanks to telling the truth to DH about my blues and my old trick of putting one foot in front of the other without pausing for reflection, I weathered yesterday's blues (Sometimes I deny myself the right to contemplation in order to avoid being kidnapped by rogue feelings - in other words I "just do it.")

Tracked sugars but a sodium filled Mexican Restaurant added two pounds to the scale. Oh Well. Still on track for an angel. Yoga planned then a long journey to help with theory homework, seed the last of the pomegranates and drive, drive, drive to music lessons.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #53  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Got on the scale this morning and I did in fact lose the pound I gained during Thanksgiving week. It appeared gone the other day, but Monday is my official weigh in day, credit. Food on plan and within calories, credit. No exercise yesterday but today I WENT ON A BIKE RIDE for the first time in over 15 years, maybe more. It was such fun and I thank Silverbirch for encouraging me to get my bike tuned up. My friend, "Hiking/Biking/Golfing Suzanne" rode her bike to my house and then we rode, mostly on a paved trail to downtown Scottsdale and had a coffee and then rode back. I looked it up after we got home and my GPS says it was 5.7 miles each way. Not far, but pretty good for my first ride. I am absolutely exhilarated to have another form of exercise. We have nice paved paths here and paths along the canals as well. From what I see I don't think I'll want to go on the road. Too many young women in huge SUV's talking on the phone and not appearing to pay much attention to the driving.

I'll have to get to personals tomorrow as I have a few things I need to do before I leave for hair appointment.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #54  
in development

Thrilling, Karen! I'm so pleased for you!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Why winter makes me eat is a mystery!

(1) I grew up in the north (2) now live in the south (3) hate hot weather (4) so, look forward ALL YEAR to our precious few weeks of cooler temps. It's not like I'm holed up in the frozen tundra or snowbound or something - it's actually the nicer time of year for us. So ????

Silverbirch - hang in there. If things get really bad, you have the advantage of being able to curse in several languages rather than being limited to one as most of us are. (Actually IDK about that - did OnebyOne ever learn any good tidbits from her Hungarian grandma?) Of course, that's being presumptuous as I'm sure you are too nice a person to ever curse.

OnebyOne - wow, walking out of a candy house. That is great.

BBE - Just heard a radio ref to that book, I think an interview or some such coming up. Undecided whether to put it on my list. Re: your Beck how to handle food pushers, HA. Our dinner party hostess this weekend barely had time to offer, let alone push, before we gobbled up seconds.

maryann - like your secret Santa idea.

karen - you say it wasn't much but an 11 mile bike ride, for the first time in years, is really something!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #56  
Enjoying la bella vita

A long workday in minutes, not hours, I think. However to phrase that it just dragged, despite being busy.

Decided to put my data in MFP again and am just very frustrated to see that I get 1,200 calories/day on days in which I am not active, which just seems too low for me to mentally stick with it. So instead of trying to get this done perfectly, maybe I just aim for as doing as well as I can. Kind of in a low mental spot today - just think that I'm never going to make progress and why the heck bother. But came home and have sat down with a cup of tea and vowed to check in so I don't miss doing it late tonight.

Will start prepping dinner - spicy turkey mexican mixup with onions, hot chili beans and black beans on a bed of lettuce. Minus the tomatoes, though, as I forgot those at the market.

DH and I will get out on the trail when he's done with this work shift - it's dark by the time I get home and stays dark until I leave for work in the morning. So already on our schedule are walks Wed.-Sat. Hope we can follow through on that.

Are many of you traveling for the holidays?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
i can barely remember yesterday, i seem to be sleepy and its only 7:00!

lets see- credit for a walk in the cold air. I went to a local school ground and it was getting a little dark. No one there except some guy with two unleashed large dogs, one of whom trotted right over to me and jumped up on me. The owner said nothing, then a minute later that both ran towards me. I yelled "NO, DOWN" and yelled at the owner to call his dogs which he did. Sheesh! I like dogs, but I do not appreciate being jumped on like that, being approached by strange dogs and a cavalier attitude by the human. The whole thing bothered me quite a bit. Sometimes an apology, which I didn't get, goes a long way in making you feel safe.

Silverbirch- thinking of you and your elders, hope things get better soon.
Mountainmama- I'm like you, not a hot weather fan! i definitely eat more in the cold, I think heat saps my energy/appetite and cold does the reverse. Or thats my excuse anyhow.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #58  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I am surfacing after Thanksgiving and our open studio, and general holiday orders frenzy. I am sure I have a multitude of sabotaging thoughts about this time of year with baked goods, and a desire to hibernate. The scale went up 4 lbs a couple weeks ago, and I haven't faced it since. I am still tracking my calories, as painful as it is to see the high numbers, but credit for persisting in staying aware.

Gardener joy - I love trello! The first to do list I have actually stuck with, for over a year. The ability to see the tasks laid out on the "cards" really appeals to my visual sense.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #59  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Used my walk, CREDIT moi, to look for ideas for Christmas gifts and stocking stuffers. I wandered into a few stores I rarely visit and two that I'd never been inside. This much is true: Homemade pasta, cut before your very eyes in an old-fashioned cutter, looks better than any other food in sight; A store that smells of cheeses and breads is yelling "Buy Food" to my nose; A hydroponic gardening store has dozens of items that my DW would find interesting - especially the porous grow bags to replace pots; The home brewing store sells dozens of grains, dozens of malts, and dozens of yeasts to make a near infinite number of beers in your own kitchen; The bartender's store sells a least a hundred different bitters that can be used to flavor homemade seltzer water. I bought nothing, but have ideas for a return trip.

Food was OKish - meals were on plan and snacks were larger. It takes a lot of walking to walk off dried fruit. Evening snack was fresh pineapple ($2 at my favorite supermarket) - love that stuff.

maryann - Love the 'secret santa' notion. Kudos for "just do it" - that seems true Beck to me.

nationalparker – Yay for walking with your DH even though it's after dark. We aren't traveling for the holidays.

Karen (karenrn) - Super Kudos for getting that bicycle into your exercise mix. Yep, drivers of SUVs on cell phones are scary.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Hope that your appearance means that all your holiday orders are under control. LOL at "desire to hibernate" - maybe that explains why I have this desire to put on weight.

curlypudge - Kudos for getting out for a walk despite the cold air. Bummer to encounter an owner who isn't responsible with his dogs.

Mountain Mamma - My take is that Winter entices me to eat because it's cold; Summer entices me to eat because it's hot; Fall entices me to eat because it's mild; Spring entices me to eat because it's just right.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

Some dieters I've told this story to thought I'd done exactly the right thing. A few of them, though, were rather taken aback. They were sure that I'd either insulted my hostess or made her feel major disappointment.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 207.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #60  
Enjoying la bella vita

OP day today! Proud to report that. Hard fought today. Hunger is not an emergency... and mistakes are not the end of the world, and not the end of my "diet", as Beck says.

DH comes home in an hour or so - I think I'll do a farmer scramble with red/orange/yellow peppers and onions, potatoes, eggs, and a little turkey sausage. Leftovers will wait for some lunches later in the week. I have lunch plans tomorrow with my former boss and a coworker - small mexican spot and goal is to STAY on track... enjoy 8 chips/salsa and order small meal.

Received a party invite for Sunday early evening from a gal friend at work with a group of about 10 women, and I only know her. I RSVP'd yes and am looking forward to meeting some wise women. Office party on Thursday, dinner with a friend next Friday and am stumped with a gift for her. Just flat out stumped. I want to find it this weekend or I'll be stressing about it all week.

Thanks for letting me share this time - hot cup of tea and 3fc and a little online shopping kept me from snacking. Off to prep dinner now. This time is a struggle for me when DH works.
Closed Thread