Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all,

I am enjoying both eating and not eating, which is great for me. I've exercised more than every other day this week. The trick will be to find time to exercise when I am not on vacation. Work is still intense but exercise is so important for me not just for weight management, so that will be my focus in the new year. Sadly, I will have to build back up to my 5ks. Happily, I know it is readily achievable. Wishing you all the best.

Best,
flnu
Old 12-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #167  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Final Xmas event tomorrow. Thrilled about that.

Ate much too much today. Resistance muscle left in a drawer or something.

Planning complete restart on Monday. No excuses.

Bye!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #168  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I traveled early yesterday with some pretty crummy roads. Dropped off my stuff and headed right down to Costco for winter tires. Would have done it last week but the size I needed was only avaliable in Denver. I'm feeling much better now as I travel again on Tuesday.
Food was good yesterday. No samples at Costco excepting a small cup of my fav. Organic coffee...black. Credit. I am reworking my plan to make good use of the days I have here by myself. First off this morning was to clean out the refrigerator. Last night I promptly put the small homemade fruitcake in the freezer to avoid temptation. Food was OP and I logged both food and weight on my handy phone. Credit.

Apologies for not being around so much lately. Lots of stress, still, but I'm finding that as I keep working on my food and home environment I seem to be less vulnerable than I used to be.

BBE, loved your description of your peaceful morning time. It's what I love about my mornings, even when it isn't with a Christmas tree. Thx for post yesterday. I sat down and worked on some financial stuff which eased my mind to know it's finished. Fortunately, it did not include phone calls. lol. Yay for dancing as exercise!

Nuxmaga, kudos for tracking and avoiding homefries. Our restaurant deep fries them. Ouch.

maryann, kudos for continued mindfulness with your food choices and sending you good vibes as you continue with holiday events.

karenrn, I love "a one tract mind and right now it is hiking." So inspired by your move to accommodate your passions.

love2garden, thanks for the reminder of the positive effect of just changing a few things in the new year. It's made me start thinking what I might change in 2015. (First thought is to not engage in eating after a certain time at night.) Kudos for posting great credits!

onebyone, yay for just one more food event. Kudos for your many successes this holiday season and I'm glad your homemade gifts were appreciated.

flnu, glad you are back with us and kudos for focusing on your exercise again.

Mountain Mamma, kudos for walking every day! I believe those habits really help with the big picture. New pup is doing really well! He is a small bundle of joy!

nationalparker, with Beck we don't have to get completely off the rails….and I don't think you are.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), thx for holiday wishes and for touching base with us.

to all our other readers. I look forward to hearing from everyone in the new year.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was unusual for me to visit two museums in one day! Started at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum where we saw drawings by sculptors. Who'd thunk? Learned that I don't know the name Bandinelli because no one remembers the guy who was second to Michelangelo. They had us sketch the inner courtyard while listening to a flute-guitar duet. We took our sketches to the workroom where we traced them into hard foam and printed them on a postcard that will be mailed to us when it dries. Wozza, I'm an artist! Such fun.

Finally got to the Goya exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I'm pretty Goya ignorant so everything was new to me. What a productive guy. It became clear that it wasn't much fun living in Spain when Napoleon was beating up on Europe. Lots of exercise for the day, CREDIT moi - but hardly aerobic.

onebyone – Yep, it'll be good to get past these holiday events with uber food and uber food consumption expectations. I thought of you yesterday when making my lifetime first print. I was really annoyed when I saw that it printed backward - they hadn't warned me since all artists already know this.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for new winter tires when that's what's needed to cross the highest point in the Rockies. Kudos for stashing that homemade fruitcake in the freezer.

flnu - Seems like an ideal to reach, "I am enjoying both eating and not eating." Kudos for recognizing that exercise matters to your life.

Mountain Mamma - LOL at "Electronic withdrawal DT's" - know about those. Kudos for keeping up with your walking.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

That's why so many dieters come undone.

Plan to Eat Out
Today, you'll create a plan for eating out and set a date to implement this plan at a restaurant some time this week. Sticking to your diet every time you eat out or while celebrating is a skill that requires preparation and practice.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 214.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #170  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

MIA ftom here as our travels took many hours longer than usual. Many. Have to just roll with the flow...good slowly improving. Panic might be receding.

Sun is again warming my skin and the earth is again resettling in its axis...

Just a quick note, Bill, as I've been reading another book about the heist at that museum...fascinates me...
Old 12-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
nice to be away for a few days, nice to be back. Have eaten way too much candy and cookies for the past few days, but now it is over. We don't do much for new years so that is not a food challenge. I did manage a few walks in while we were away so credit for that.

It was a different, harder xmas after death of m-in-law, and staying in a hotel this year visiting my family, as my parents sold their house this fall. But the hotel piece was actually nice in some ways, gave us space to get away from extended family! We all managed to deal being with each other in an apartment and the whole thing went well, all things considered. I am always sad/depressed when I return as I wish I lived closer to my folks, they are getting older etc, but this year once home, we all disappeared to our own electronic devices and the re-entry was more peaceful.

Sounds like many folks are up for organization/decluttering, that is great! I will be happy to start a thread in a few days, or if anyone else wants to now, go for it! I don't want to step on your toes onebyone, I know you have initiated it in the past, and I was inspired by your doing so!!

Food today...started with chocolate chip pancakes which I didn't plan, but we have just taken a long walk and I will eat better for the rest of the day. time to get back to planning, I think I will re-read Beck this week!
Waving to all, happy season, I am so glad Christmas is over!!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Pepper Pot Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Less walking than standard due to fear of rain. Ouch. Since DW and I were going together, it was one of those joint marital decisions where both think they're doing what the other wants. Sometimes I wonder how marriages can work given that they tend to be constituted by two human beings.

Food was OKish. I did turn down taking a chocolate from a box of mixed chocolates, CREDIT moi. The good news is that lunch was a small roast beef sandwich that finished off the leftovers from Christmas Eve. The fridge is finally looking normal without strange plastic containers. There's a container of gravy that we'll probably keep until it turns green then toss.

nationalparker – Now that's a happy thought, "Sun is again warming my skin and the earth is again resettling in its axis..." [What's the name of the book you're reading about the Gardner Museum heist?]

curlypudge - Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to face the loss in your family and the aging of your parents. Kudos for dealing with each other in a small place.

Readers -
Quote:

Plan to Eat Out
Here's what you should do to get ready:
  • Choose a suitable day and place. Pick a day this week when you're not particularly stressed and plan to eat at a slightly earlier time than usual, so you won't be too hungry. Select a restaurant that serves foods permitted on your plan.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #173  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Pleased and a bit proud to announce that food has returned to sane choices and amounts. Not that I was insane before, but now it's definitely OP. Helps to be staying with my brother who is completely focused on food choices being healthy. To the nth degree, but if you're staying with someone and need to get on track, that's the way.

Heading to Savannah for our anniversary tomorrow. Will get in a lot of walking and sampling at new to us restaurants. It's been a lot of years since I've spent time there, and then it was mostly for my job, hanging at sports facilities.

Bill - The book is The Gardner Heist: The True Story of the World's Largest Unsolved Art Theft. (Whatever happened to books that had simple, short titles of oh, fewer than 10 words?) ... Interesting thoughts on each of you thinking the other wanted to do something - we do the same thing and then I resent it a bit that I feel we've missed out on something both trying to cater in our minds to the other.

Lexxiss - Thank you for your words of support. I have to eliminate the all or nothing thinking - but it just seems innate.

CurlyPudge - Kudos to see the benefits in staying in the hotel instead of just mourning the change in routine. One book I've been reading (I have several going at once, all the time) is Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter and Simplify a 99-cent kindle purchase and it's been a fluid read, with some good ideas. I don't have a lot that I want to declutter, but am definitely up for popping in on your or Lexxiss' or OneByOne's thread ... I typically clear out 10 things every weekend from mom's habits, and that is a big help, but still need to clear everything out of my bathroom cabinets and then start fresh. That will be my goal - nothing on the surfaces except my towel basket!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #174  

Height: 5' 2"

Credit: finances are in order, unusual for one who tends to procrastinate. Credit, decent, healthy, robust breakfast cooked by DH (He cleaned up, too.)
Credit: yesterday time with son and DIL as we 5 ate at our favorite Asian Restaurant after Church. Such good catching up time as illness kept us apart for Christmas. Credit: New determination to change just one thing toward donating my extra weight to wherever.

Remember when Beck said to "Eat only at the table." I recognize this is probably the single most important behavior I should tackle next. DH keeps goodies in cabinet in TV room. I'm constantly thinking about them and during December was into that cabinet often, especially if he fell asleep and didn't notice.

Nationalparker, the Gardner Heist sounds like a book I'd like too. Enjoy Savannah, it is so beautiful there.

Anxious to begin the decluttering thread and need it so much.

Bill: What a delightful excursion to the galleries you had. That is my kind of day, and 2 of our daughters would also be happy to go with me. Growing up we often went to Washington, DC to visit relatives. Going to Galleries and Museums were among my favorite activities. Luckily Aunt Cad and others were glad to take me and not hurry me u! What a gift.

Curley pudge, DH and I are the aging parents and fortunately our middle daughter, single, moved in with us. She is spoiling us and I love it. After her decades of living across the USA and coming yearly for visits, we get her full time. We 3 seem to have easily fallen into a satisfactory way of using this spread out home, and adjusting to space changes and sharing.

finu, I'm rather new here, but I understand you are returning. Glad to share this with you. Your success with exercise encourages me so much I believe I'll go down to the Gym now that my meal has settled.

Only a few more days left of 2014. How can we use them in the best way?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Thank you all for the kind words about 'keeping up with my walking.' No sooner did I type those words than some SLACKER days followed. Which made reading the kudos even more painful. But today got back on track so can hold up my virtual head here on the board. Still overeating a bit but a far cry from old habits.

Love2garden - How nice your daughter is living with you & sounds like a happy arrangement all around. LOL about getting into the snack cabinet when the DH was asleep.

nationalparker - yay for a brother interested in eating healthy. Happy Anniversary!

1 x 1 - 'resistance muscle left in a drawer or something' Guess we'll all be restarting soon.

lexxis - glad you got your snow tires, not a moment too soon!

curlypudge - knowing it was a hard Christmas without your MIL, glad you are back.

BBE - Bandinelli is new to me too but i'm not an art historian.

to finu and welcome back. (See what characters they let in while you were gone? )

Now where have Silverbirch & Gardernerjoy & Ceejay & Gosfordgirl & maryann & karen gone off to? Celebrating the New Year already???
Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #176  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a bank to get a sheet of paper notarized. I HATE getting something notarized. It's such a big deal; I could just ink a thumbprint and that could serve as proof that it was my signature. Then I had to fax the document. This was another pain; had to walk to a UPS store where they charged $2 to fax one sheet. I feel so thoroughly in the 1900's. Does anyone remember how to fax from your own PC?

Food remains in the OK area. I resisted snacks when I took a diversion to the library to return a book that I'd kept for so long that it couldn't be renewed again. The good news is that I finished it the night before. And I resisted all the books sitting out begging to go home with me - CREDIT moi.

nationalparker – Yay for return to sanity with food. Have a good day exploring Savannah - that city's on my Bucket List.

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for back on track with walking. Good to be reminded that the New Year always signals a fresh start.

love2garden - Kudos for marrying a man who'll cook you breakfast AND clean up. Smart choice. Perhaps you can buy your DH a security camera that focuses on the snack cabinet in the TV room - so he can catch the thief stealing his goodies, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

Plan to Eat Out
Here's what you should do to get ready: . . .
  • Go with a friend. Choose someone whom you know won't try to push food on you. Perhaps you should go with your diet coach.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #177  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning! I am here.

Christmas involved catching the flu and spending four days in bed, keeping warm, resting and drinking lots of fluid. I read and dozed and slept. Really very nice apart from the fever, chills and aching limbs. The National Health Service website has told me that I'll feel a lot better from Day Five but will feel very tired for a couple of weeks. I'm now on Day Six and am feeling rather shaky just from eating breakfast and talking to my uncle's hospital sister.

Being in bed for long periods has made me realise that there is rather more avoirdupois around my hips than I thought. I must be as serious as I can be about losing it this year.

to all.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #178  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

Still here, still being mindful.yesterday was on plan, logged and I stuck to my calorie goal until I had an unplanned snack before bed. Ouch. I have a plan for today which will include a lunch from the restaurant-A bison patty with veggies.i've been getting on my stationary bike for five minutes each morning lately, however I she'll see how the time plays out this morning. I've already been out shoveling my sidewalk and I am about to head out out to shovel my moms.that's some good spontaneous exercise at -9°. Ouch.

Got a run-work calls.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #179  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

This week is out of whack, but I did not gain any weight over Christmas which was a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE. Food wise okay, exercise I did Bell Pass on Sunday but nothing yesterday and today will be housework. My cleaning gal who comes every other week called to say she could come on Thursday (New Year's), not on New Year's Eve as we had agreed. Since I'm having a New Year's Eve party that doesn't exactly work for me and it wouldn't do much good to have her come right after I've cleaned the house. So today I will be doing housework for my exercise. I think I'll really dig in and see how it goes. I always think about just doing it myself and saving the money which certainly wouldn't hurt.

My spare time has been researching the John Muir Trail, watching videos, joining groups and trying to decide if I want to do it and with whom. On the FB site they all say there are plenty of folks, if you have the time to plan do it without paying for the group service. We'll see. I certainly do have the time to plan it, but I'm not sure I feel experienced enough. i will be doing some backpacking this Spring to get more ready. So far will do Grand Canyon end of March.

I better get moving on the housework. Tomorrow will be further party preparations and then on Thursday 8 of my husband's family members including his mother arrive to spend 3 nights. It will be a very full house.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #180  

Height: 5' 2"

Credit: Gym workout yesterday, but feeling listless today. Credit: Food good, but a few tootsie rolls from DH's snack cabinet.

The John Muir Trail would truly be interesting. Hope you get to go, Karen, and can find several to go with for safety.

SilverBirch, so sorry to hear your illness knocked you out for so long and leaves you weak. Agree, the opportunity for unlimited reading time is one bonus from the experience.

Debbie, Moving all that snow is such good exercise. I used to do it and loved it. Satisfying to see results. So much house work doesn't really show up for long.

Bill, agree, red tape seems to multiply by the month. I miss being at the office when I need to send a fax, but the benefit of NOT going to the office is celebrated every day.

DH has a birthday today and I fixed him a breakfast he never thinks to fix, and made it healthier than he would have done. Later DD will be fixing his favorite Polish Pirogi from scratch.
Closed Thread