Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday night

Coaches

Apparently "Plain" yoghurt means it has no flavours or fruits (but can have suger!) however "natural" yoghurt has nothing but cultures (and a few other suspect things like skim milk powder, gums to thicken etc). I now know why I make my own kefir and used to make my own yoghurt. Today I didn't really have a food plan except to have no snacks except this evening, my usual kefir protein shake for breakfast, salad for lunch and buy something to cook for dinner on the way home from gym. Achieved all of the above and I have cooked stewed lamb rib chops for a few nights meals - but I think they are pretty high in calories so a bit of bad planning. They will be nice though.

My weight is still sitting around 189 even after a fast day - hopefully it starts moving again but not tomorrow after those chops!

I always try to post before BillBE at night - it gives me a goal and a target. But alas I missed him tonight and don't get the satisfaction of a personal comment. It is weird that we both post at opposite ends of the same day. You were up particularly early today and posted at about 4:15 am - credit BillBE for getting up and getting it started bright and early. Happy to read that you are recovering and eating to make up the deficit. Don't know what the cocoa mulch debate is but it sound sparky (I do read that cocoa/chocolate is very bad for dogs).

Onebyone - credit for doing what works for you - hope today went well and was warm! And I am indeed enjoying the cold - it makes sleep a lot easier

to CeeJay - good to see you here and on track today. And I hope you had a fantastic Sunday too.

I have a whole host of small things to finish this evening so will keep moving coaches.

Hope you all have a great Sunday
Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm declaring myself done with Day 2 of The Diet Fix. I've been logging since May 1. I'm looking forward to May 5, because I put a summary sheet in my log book every 5 days. In my last attempt at this, I noticed that while I was gathering data, I wasn't learning as much as I could from it because I never went back to look. For May, I intend to look every 5 days to determine which were the best days and which were the worst and see if I can figure out what creates them.

I realized this morning that I'm doing this dutifully as if I believe that there are things I can control about my hunger and cravings. I'm not sure that I do believe that. I suspect my body of being wholly mysterious and possibly slightly hostile and that it will throw hunger or a craving down just to see how I react. But I have to admit that I've never experimented with things like "does cereal or bread pudding work better with my yogurt as breakfast?" I believe the answer to be "it doesn't matter." But I won't know until I try. Credit for trying.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +45 135/1500 minutes for May, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: We have enough of a Farmers Market culture now that the farmers have invested in hoop houses. The greens are pretty easy to grow that way, but I'm still astounded by the farmer that brings tomatoes in May!
Glad you were feeling well enough to enjoy holiday conversation.

AZTricia: the spicy salad mix was yummy. A few years ago, I think we would have called it "bitter." But our tastes have changed and we like leaves packed with flavor now.

nationalparker: that's exactly right -- Saturday morning and a Farmers Market just goes well together. It makes me feel like I must be living my life right if I can manage that once in a while.
I love that your dad is asking about you when you weren't sure that he thought you were being helpful when you were there.
If you think that "no snacking" is the message that you want right now, I suggest sending The Diet Fix back to the library. You can always get it later when you're in a different place and want something new to try.

Happy Sunday to everyone else!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #33  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! I feel as if this day is absolutely speeding past me. Weeded the berm again - and worked a bit more on the garden wall project that was left unfinished when autumn blew in, and it's still awaiting the creativity. (OneByOne, can I borrow your creative mind to get this looking good?) ... Decided to sod in a larger area and just give up the fight with the field and weed spores that blow in nonstop. A large garden there wasn't wise and I'm waving the white flag. Sod, a birdbath, ground and hanging feeders, and some iron panels with hanging baskets in between my two different evergreen trees that the birds love, will finish it off - hopefully in the next few weeks. Hit the nursery and overspent and got everything except one small six-pack planted in my large planters - stuff is crammed in there - all heights and colors in the pink/purple/white ranges. It looks welcoming now and feel I've accomplished a great deal today. Hands and knees are sore.

Issues continue with my sister...it's apparent to everyone but her that the communication is so smooth and fluid until she's a part of the mix. Then it's miscommunication central. Thanks to all for listenting to my venting on this. I've set my plans in place to return home in a few weeks. I hope I can help out and not add to the stress already in place. I went straight into the kitchen after the interaction with her. Then had to say STOP aloud and get back outside and work it off.

No analytical thoughts on my eating - just trying to eat less and not turn to it for comfort... keeping it simple when busy.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #34  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello, short check-in here today as "something" went wrong yesterday and I was up all night losin' my cookies...not a recommended weight loss method! So far I'm much better today, so it must have been food poisoning.

Beck FB today:

Food never tastes as good when you’re feeling guilty about eating it (or know you will in the future). Dieters often think they'll be dissatisfied if they make healthy choices, but often the opposite is actually true: When they eat healthfully, enjoy what they’re eating without guilt, and feel good about themselves, they wind up feeling MUCH more satisfied.
Food never tastes as good when you’re feeling guilty about eating it (or know you will in the future). Dieters often think they'll be dissatisfied if they make healthy choices, but often the opposite is actually true: When they eat healthfully, enjoy what they’re eating without guilt, and feel good about themselves, they wind up feeling MUCH more satisfied.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Spent 7 hours shopping and prepping food for the month. I have been making price lists of bulk healthy foods - checking out prices all over town; I pulled the trigger this morning. Wow. That was a lot of energy. But I scored big on fresh fruit and veggies, beans, grains and pantry items. Some things I am set for for the next six months. This proves Beck's "eating right takes time." (I paraphrase.) Then I bulk chopped, cleaned and froze cilantro, onions, bananas and strawberries. I also menu planned for at least the next month and a half. The amazing thing is everything I bought cost $50.00 less than the bill at dinner last night for the "go to" steak house where we treated Mom, sister, and her hubby. (I ordered a super rare filet mignon of which I save two thirds for this week's lunches.) The meal was paid by gift cards so no out of pocket. I savored everything I ate. I stayed on budget and the scale is still down a pound from ticker. So, all in all, I call this a win. I really needed this kind of success for a boost.

Meals OP for today. Excercise was refilling my shop cart at one of the four stores when someone stole the one I had half way filled. Good Grief.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouragement!! Today was a sane, healthy day with no sugar and no overeating.

BillBlueEyes- I love your healthy Easter baskets. Hope you don't mind if I steal that. There really is no reason that we have to stick to old traditions that are not good for us.

GosfordGirl- so cool that you make your own kefir- I am going to google that to see how it is done.

gardenerjoy- like you I write down what I eat but don't really learn much because I don't look at it- makes sense to take the time to do this. I make a weekly check off chart for all the health related things I want to do. The goal is not perfection, but the more check marks the better.

nationalparker-loved reading about your gardening activities. Got me excited that we will be at that point sometime soon. So far we are having a very cool spring.

AZtricia- hope you are feeling better today. I liked your post about enjoying eating healthy foods. My crazy relationship with food means that mostly I bolt food and never really slow down and enjoy. This is one of the hardest things for me to change. 100% agree with Beck that this is an important thing to learn- to slow down and eat .

maryann- I am in awe of your food preparation activities. I never thought about chopping and freezing onions. Going to try that.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #37  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile unexpected food thing tomorrow

Hi Coaches

I did my greeting duty at the guild sale today. We had a customer who remembered having a big long conversation with me a few years ago at the sale and it slowly came back that I also remembered that. She was in a fix at that time: directionless, newly separated, looking to be creative. I heard all about it and now she's with a new guy, some mucky-muck community wine guy and she's involved with starting up a new farmers' market and she specifically came to the sale looking to see if we, as a guild, want to participate and then talking to me asking if I, as a seasoned market veteran, would want to participate and this after I only yesterday decided that for sure I wouldn't be at a market. *sigh* the difference is this market's location is urban upscale vs. my suburban conservative market. Anyway, there are always unexpected opportunities presenting themselves.

Speaking of which, I found out last night that I am part of the duo in charge of snacks for the meeting tomorrow night. She's making brownies which sent me hunting for recipes and I found an apple cinnamon streusel coffee cake recipe and I have the ingredients for it BUT do I make it? And if I make it, do I eat any of it? I could. I could plan for it and eat it but will it set me off on crazy-making cravings again, and this with a mere 2 days OP under my belt? Now this should be an easy answer: NO don't make it. Bring cut up fruit. Or bring veggies. Or cheese and crackers. DO NOT MAKE A DESSERT YOU DESPERATELY WANT TO EAT. I can save that recipe for the annual pot luck next month. Maybe that's what I'll do. I do not want to jeopardize this good start.

I was OP all the way today. I planned my meals and ate to my plan. I did nibble on some food bbq'd in advance as it sat cooling on a plate. But then I stopped so CREDIT.

Have a good night.

nationalparker
Wasn't it you who wanted to make the mosaic for your garden? It's not very hard. If you want to get info on that just send me a message here. I'm happy to help.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-04-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Unhappy Misery Monday

Coaches

I just don't seem to be getting through things and everything seems slow and difficult - and I am distracted. I need to get myself focussed and on track with work tasks or I just won't get through them. I have been having discussions this week with my supervisor and HR, and on Wednesday with my Dean, about retirement. I am not good at thinking strategically and managing the best outcomes for myself and I either feel unethical for wanting things for myself (believing I might deserve them) or I get screwed and miss out entirely! I am trying to avoid both scenarios this time and it is taking energy. There is a lot to plan for a retirement that won't take place until at least Feb 2016 but I need to put in the work or it will be a disaster.

Lunch today was not good - didn't need the chips I got with it and not even the meal was really the best choice but it was getting late and I had been at the doctors for 2 hours (waiting in waiting room for 1:15 mins) and I was hungry - 3pm by then. Tomorrow had to be productive and I have to go to gym at the end of the day on the way home from office

BillBE - glad you are getting rehydrated and following your bodies call for calories and rest

Gardenerjoy - Good idea to go back over your food log - I always mean to and don't do it. I think for me what I eat for b/fast does matter - if it is carbs I am hungry all day but if it is protein with a bit of carb I do better. But that is what I think and a food log might clarify that

Nationalparker - your gardening projects sound fabulous. Credit for the progress and the distraction they offer to help you get over your sister

Tricia - great Beck slogan for the day. Hope you are feeling better (and lighter! There has to be an upside to being sick)

Maryann - I love that you got all shopped and prepped. And for a MONTH - that is outstanding. I feel inspired to do the same

CeeJay - credit for a "sane, healthy day with NO sugar and NO overeating" -Stellar

Onebyone - Things go, things come it seems - if the market venture is right you will go with it. CREDIT for OP all the way today
Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Cinco de Mayo

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had a ham sandwich for lunch followed by a full repeat of Saturday night's ham dinner. I'm happy. I do love ham. DW thought we needed about a six pound ham; I thought about a twenty pounder. I compromised at twelve, and sent both families home with a huge bag of leftover ham in the hands of smiling young men. After carving off most of the remaining meat, I broke the bone (at the joint) so that we have two meaty ham bones in the freezer for future bean soups. I drool at the thought. Despite all the ham, eating was on plan, CREDIT moi.

Again little exercise. I skipped all planned activities for the day - three of which had offered snacks. So there were no temptations. CREDIT moi for merely surviving another day. I'm getting better, at the speed my body chooses. I'm trying to use Beck skills about accepting the scale readings to accept the speed of healing.

onebyone – Yay for ships coming in that you don't even remember sending out. Neat that you'll get to try an upscale market - there're a lot of homes and apartments that need good art on the walls.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at your "body of being wholly mysterious and possibly slightly hostile" - that would explain the totally pointless cravings that arise when I should only be feeling satisfaction or fatigue. Drooling at the thought of real tomatoes in May.

CeeJay - You said it just right, "There really is no reason that we have to stick to old traditions that are not good for us." I wish that I didn't have to be hit by a 2x4 upside the head before that thought occurs to me.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I, too, enjoy that you post from the opposites: opposite side of the planet, opposite end of the day, and opposite season. I'll enjoy two posts from you today. Kudos for cooking up a mess of "stewed lamb rib chops" without popping down a few, LOL. Super Kudos for beginning the work to get what you deserve at retirement - after all those years of service, you now deserve to be well taken care of.

maryann - Seven hours is one whole lot of food prep time. Love the thought of real cilantro all chopped up and ready to go. Kudos for bringing home two-thirds of a filet mignon - already a small piece of meat.

nationalparker – Kudos for handling family tension by choosing "to say STOP aloud and get back outside and work it off." Yay for how much joy can be purchased in one trip to a nursery.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for a stomach bug - glad you're on the mend. Thanks for the reminder that Guilty doesn't lead to satisfaction.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

The Benefits of writing Down What You Eat

Continually monitoring what you eat will provide you with the following benefits:
It helps you build your confidence. As you focus on how well you're following your plan, you begin to realize that you can stay on a diet, that you can do what it takes to lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 143.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Monday!

A whirlwind weekend of Graduations and celebrations. Saturday Weigh-In sees me down another pound (!) with all workouts completed for the week.

Yesterday got out of hand after resisting all the temptations on Saturday, probably an extra 400 calories down the hatch in a strange episode of night eating. I take Lunesta and this happens in a blue moon, but is decidedly weird. You wake up not hungry and find "evidence" all over the kitchen.

Back to business this morning and soldiering on down the OP road. Delighted that last week's weight loss "stuck" and I really am past the halfway point to maintenance now.

On the fly today--best to all and WELCOME to freely!!

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 05-05-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #41  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default checking in

Coaches

Very fast hello and good morning to you all!

I am off for ever-continuing guild duty and I have had a hearty breakfast to last me through until I get home this afternoon around 1:30. I will bring a snack just in case-or make tea while there-this is my plan to stay on track today.

*credits*
- did toothbrush level exercise last night before bed while brushing my teeth
-tracked everything
-food is planned for today as much as I plan
-weighed in today 269.2
-posted to my coaches
UPDATING and ADDING
-walked 30+ minutes near the potters' guild this morning before my shift started to ensure I got my toothbrush level of movement in.
-felt I could manage the cake for our snack tonight and I did. I licked the spoon, twice, then stopped. *extra credit*
And I did not have a taste until I was at the meeting and it was planned and I did also taste the thing my friend made and brought. Tiny portions. Planned. *extra credit*
This was not perfect as I did shove a small piece in my mouth and then I stopped. The leftovers are going with DH to work.

I have to say the thing I made was a hit which after 3 years is the first time guild members have liked what I made. DH tasted it and he said "wow that's pretty traditional. Pretty bland, good, but really ordinary." yep. Sometimes I don't have to try so hard to figure things out though *I* must truly be a tough customer.

Bye!

Last edited by onebyone; 05-05-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: my high fashion "eyeball and spike dress" avatar distracted me and I spelt wurds rhong.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

We had a glorious day yesterday so I substituted a meal off the grill for the supper I had planned. I also added a little yogurt to an afternoon snack when I was feeling hungrier than expected. That feels a bit like a slippery slope, but it worked great. I was satisfied and I approached the whole thing with so much thought and care (ala both Beck and Freedhoff) that there was no slipping about it.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 165/1500 minutes for May, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: that sounds like a very big day of yardwork!

onebyone: rooting for cut-up fruit or veggies -- imagine how happy you'll make other people who are trying to watch what they eat!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Last week I tossed my Beck Diet Solution book into the box I am packing up to donate to the library. After reading through the threads today, I'm taking it back out!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my decision!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Day, Coaches.

Weird morning. Took DH to his first colonoscopy. He is fine; he is cleared for another five years and I am grateful. Still, I feel off. I hate hospitals. I had forgotten they are always freezing. Credit for reminding myself that the reason I am working so hard on food and fitness is to avoid medical issues. Good reminder. Credit for giving myself an hour to chill before I get some work done.

Yesterday was OP. Today is planned,changed and now planned again. I have to take DS to piano and violin. I guess today is a day of service and I am happy to be able. I have promised myself a little walk.

Welcome, Wannabehealthy.

GosfordGirl: You are so smart to start think now about retirement; it could be the best time spent for a peaceful future.

Last edited by maryann; 05-05-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Default New here

Just got the Beck book and started reading it. First thing I am SO grateful for the section "Could you have an eating disorder?". Years ago I was involved with OA and then more recently with FA. According to the Beck book I DO NOT have an eating disorder. I am starting and this time I really want to continue and get to my goals. 1st goal onederland!!!
Closed Thread