Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1  

Default Hello - new here

Hello everyone,

I wanted to put out a quick greeting/intro for myself. I just discovered Beck's green book a few weeks ago at the library and was immediately inspired by her method. I have been wanting and needing a path for change and really believe that this will help me. Since my book is due back this week - I went ahead and ordered both books and the workbook today.

Last night I found myself here after I had googled BDS and was hoping to find others who have or are using this method successfully. I am glad I stumbled into a supportive environment.

I do have a question - I am a nurse and work 12 hr shift work which includes overnights. I am just not sure the best way to approach these hours. I normally am not finding myself hungry during the night and as the morning hour approaches (I get off at 730a) my hunger is increased so I typically get breakfast on my way home. Then I sleep and when I wake I have a snack then eat supper with my family (DH & 2 kids) before heading out again. I would have no problem incorporating a snack or two into my shift but to eat an actual meal - feels weird to me. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? I usually work 2-3 night shifts every 2 weeks - the rest of my schedule is day hours.

Thanks for any insight!
Furst419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #2  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Furst,
I just wanted to welcome you to the BDS forum on 3fatchicks, I am fairly new here myself. I am just entering my second week of the Beck program. I think one of the other regular users on here also works nights so she may have some good suggestions, our moderator BillBlueEyes is on vacation at the moment. Again welcome, my name is Jaye although I am considering changing my user name to WorkInProgress LOL

Take care and feel free to join us in the monthly thread for August.
Midnightsun68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #3  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Furst419

I just read your note and there are a few people who have dealt with the challenges you face. I don't have any direct experience of them though, sorry!

What I can say is as you work through the Beck book(s) you will find the way for you to deal with whatever food challenge you may face. Just have patience and persistence in applying each task as she lays them out. You'll figure it out and it will be a plan of action that works FOR YOU and your life, not some generic diet book model. This is the brilliance of her plan as it adapts itself around any foodplan you choose. It supports your structure so to speak.

I encourage you to pop by the main conversation thread and say a short hello so people can welcome you here. That's where you'll get answers to your questions too btw. We are all happy to have another voice out there trying to figure this weightloss thing out as we all try to do the same.

Bye for now!
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Welcome, Furst419!

As others have said, please join us on the main conversation thread. It looks overwhelming, but don't try to figure it out. Just post an introduction and, over time, you'll get to know us.

I think two snacks in place of a meal on your overnight shifts is a worthy experiment. Try it and see how it works for you! To me, that's largely the spirit of Beck is to try things and don't give up until you figure out what works.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote