3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Own Your Space: A Beck Summer De-cluttering Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/261355-own-your-space-beck-summer-de-cluttering-thread.html)

Lexxiss 08-28-2012 04:14 AM

onebyone, credit for persistence AND for acknowledgement that it is only together due to teamwork between you and DH. I fully understand....I have a set of dresser drawers in a closet of similar quality. After I had them all put together (as instructed) the bottoms kept separating and all the clothes would fall down to the next level. Finally one day I pulled it out...all apart and glued the cr*p out of each drawer. It doesn't do it anymore. Sending you supportive thoughts for day 2 of your clean up week.

Rachel, Happy Trash Day! Thanks for another great quote. Yes, the movement, for me, is very important. Any small movement takes me forward.

Me, going to take care of some of my basics before work this morning. My DH is pretty depressed right now and I'll keep moving forward but have to say I'm getting pretty bummed myself. He's 3 months out from his injury and sprained his ankle late last week. He's back to being immobile and my buzzing around doing everything isn't helping the mood. I didn't let it affect my eating yesterday and just went to bed early.

helping rachel 08-28-2012 09:24 AM

Onebyone Hugs sent your way for making a plan and then to having a junky piece of crap furniture derail your focus. I hope today you find more peace in the process of doing what is important. Whatever that may be.

Lexxiss I am sorry to hear of your husband's injury. We as humans want to feel competent doing something each day and sometimes when we are sidelined by illness or pain...depression can begin to set in. Sending healing thoughts to your DH. I think it is empathic that you are conscious of what you get done in front of him. Finding the right balance at home and in marriage is a continual balancing act.

I am working on maintaining today. Will peek my head into fly lady for some good ideas. I too have a dry erase board that I use to write down daily and weekly projects. I am hoping for forward motion today as when I left the house yesterday, I left small messes. I ended up at the Doctor for a UTI infection and it sidelined me last night. Just didn't feel like picking things up. Back in the saddle today or as John Wayne says..."courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway". I am not scared to death of my messes but I certainly can let them get me down if I look only at the mess. I am looking at the "horse that I need to ride to do the next thing today". Gitty Up, Chorehorse!

onebyone 08-28-2012 10:25 AM

Saddlin' up the chorehorse - day#2

Hello!

Day 2 - today's decluttering goal: to have a clean/clear floor in the whole living room area.

*credit* for following and completing yesterday's plan
*credit* for creating a plan for today
*credit* for persistance

My overall goal has formed: to have my apartment look "normal" when you look in my front window.

This seems like kind of a co-dependent goal, like I am allowing others to dictate their needs/perceived needs onto my life. It's not quite so, because as a tenant, and not a home owner, I am at the mercy of my landlord and his opinion of how I am maintaining his property. If it gets out of hand then I have to deal with his flack. I do not want to deal with this and it interrupts my day to day life. Also, he will be coming in soon to turn the air conditioning off (the control is in a locked plexiglas box in our hallway) and when he was in turning it on early this summer, he was upset at the state of his precious plastic wood floor, which, months later, *I* am still fuming over. So, coaches, this is a real issue for me. And it's not the first time. I have had a history of landlord run-in's. At close to 50 years of age, I want to just put that horse behind me.

I'm going to go put up a painting.

(yay!)

Will update later. Thanks for your continuing support. On to day #2

PS. my butt's a bit smaller due to my efforts yesterday. I went from 252 to 249 overnight :carrot:

helping rachel 08-28-2012 11:00 AM

It sounds like you want to be a good steward of your home and the things in it.
If reducing clutter and clearing space will reduce negative feedback--that is a good goal to have.

I love that you lost weight in your physical being and in your apartment. Yay and credit for you!

onebyone 08-28-2012 04:48 PM

Part 2/Day 2 -- it gets worse before it gets better.

Everything's upside-down. yikes. I'm just taking a bit of a breather.

My out of town friend came with her 7yr old daughter and we went or coffee, for 3 hours, and then when I got back I sure didn't want to start anything.

But I have.

And it looks like I have my agenda for tomorrow. Interesting how this whole apt. clean up is just like everything else, once started, the next step appears. I need to remember that cleaning up is not a mystery, or magical, or out of my reach. You just start and keep at it.

Right now I have the area to the right f the futon clean, the area in front of the tv clean, the left side of the futon is clean and I just have to pull the futon out and deal with the stuff underneath. Then I need to start putting thigns into place. BUT... I did an extra thing. I moved my wall o' boxes in the bedroom to put the new-found 1960's desk in there and instead of piling the boxes on top of it, as my sister suggested, I think I will move them into the living room, in front of my new shelf so I am *forced* to deal with them tomorrow. This way I get my tv set up in the bedroom, which I miss and love, especially in the winter months, and the bedroom is on its way to being my winter oasis, and my task of cleaning the living room floor is still completed. There may be things in those boxes that would go on my new shelves, as well as stuff for the dining room work space -- so it's all closer to where it's going to live anyway.

It makes for a marathon day tomorrow, but with my friends' visit I got off light today.

I've eaten more today than in the last week, but not offplan. I did find three tracking booklets so that's really great. I'm filling one out for today's intake. I've been slack with that.

OK that's my update. Time to finish up in the living room.

Lexxiss 08-29-2012 08:35 AM

:cheer: Cheering you on, onebyone! I find, too, that it does get worse before (or AS) it gets better. Kudos on your accomplishments, so far, and glad to see the scale is cooperating.

I didn't have much time this morning, but washed and put away the dehydrator which was on the kitchen counter. I noticed last night a very small thing which helps me in a big way. After I used the pizza wheel on our healthy pizza I took it right to the sink and washed it. I know now from experience how much more time consuming it becomes when I leave it for the morning.

Have a great day! I'm off to work.

ETA-I started thinking about some simple joys in "finding things". I have found things that hadn't been seen for years. Several years ago we had to buy my DH another "wetsuit" top when I was sure he already had one, purchased in Key West. Now he has two because the original did eventually show up. Now we have a place for both of them.

helping rachel 08-29-2012 09:02 AM

:carrot::carrot::hug:I am cheering you on as well, OneonONe. It is progress not perfection.

Working a quick one hour on house and then off to work for the day. My reward is to come home to a nice clean house and cilantro lime chicken ready for dinner.

Have a good day!

onebyone 08-29-2012 11:23 AM

unexpected reward on Day #3

Hello Decluttering Coaches

I just got an unexpected reward directly related to my clean up efforts. My little, thin, deaf, rescued cat from Key West, Looloo, just played, very enthusiastically, with one of the toy mouses that have resurfaced. Since the whole of the livingroom floor is clean and clear, I watched her run, chase, catch, and toss that pink furry mouse into the air, then hunt it down and do it again and again. Caesar, my other cat, who is very playful, and I both watched Looloo with big big eyes, not believing what we were seeing! So great. I forget that as the floor gets cluttered, the world for my cats, who live at that level, shrinks. This little event has given me a needed boost as I woke up today feeling discouraged.

Today's weight is higher. I feel like I can't deal with today's tasks. I feel overwhelmed (again) and today I feel tired. So much done yet so much to do. Why is this realization triggering a "you'd better just give up then" :devil: response? Like I need to make things harder than they already are. Really.

I have my to-do list for today. It's all baby steps. Today's work will bring me 3/4 to my goal of a "normal view when you look in my front window". I've added an additional, related goal, to have the view when you stand in the front doorway, like when the landlord comes to drop something off or whatever, also appear normal. This is much more difficult as the hallway holds all my market stuff: tables, stock, display boards. But, perhaps, as I deal with my work space I will be able to create a dedicated storage area for my market stuff.

Update #1: Finished just over half of my to-do list. I even did an extra sinkful of dishes. *credit* *credit* I am now faced with the mess on top of my work table and the mess beneath it--which is worse: 4 big shopping bags of stuff and 3 big boxes of stuff. 2 boxes I have separated out, and they sit on my clean living room floor for now. They are stock for etsy sales. And there are 5 more items: market stock in 2 rubbermaid bins& 1 garbage bag, one shallow box with stuff to sort through from day 1 of my clean up, and a box of art supplies that is now full, from the last 2 days of clean up. I don't really have anywhere to place them. They should go in behind the work table which won't be dealt with until tomorrow. I have to remember THIS IS NOT PERMANENT--BECAUSE THEY ARE SITTING THERE DOES NOT MEAN I HAVE FAILED TO CLEAN UP MY SPACE> I AM NOT DONE YET. * credit for the reminder* back later.

Must go. Must start. Will update later.

update#2: ok I figured out what my problem is with the table. I don't liek that it's so open underneath. It means that you can always see what's going on in that work space and that means it has to always be left pristine and that I know is not realisti given the natuer of what I do. And the *pressure* to keep that up, becasue it affects the whole of this view from the outside window looking in, is too miuch for me. So, my sister suggested I move the table under the window and then I thought yes!:carrot: table under the window with the 3 sets of drawers (narrow) facing into the space so from the living room you can't see what's happening on the floor. Plus I get to look out the window. I may even be able to move my filing cabinet over to there which is where it should be.

Maybe I'll settle for making the switcheroo today and then sorting out the details tomorrow and Friday. It just might re-energize me to see that real change happen.

geez. so much writing, posting, and relating of such mundane events. I feel self-consious being so "needy" with all this stuff. I have to remember, I have never managed to get my place in order ever. I need the help, and I do not need to feel ashamed about it. While I picked up many a skill that others may never possess, I did not learn this cleaning house one. THANK GOODNESS there are kind folks out ther ewilling to help and support one such as I along the way. *credit for admitting my weaknesses and asking for help*

Lexxiss 08-30-2012 09:04 AM

onebyone, I did not learn the cleaning the house skill, either. As I write (and think) about that statement it broadens for me a bit. I guess it broadens because at the point I'm at in this journey, after doing the major haul-out, it is more than just "cleaning the house". For me, it is about retraining/teaching my brain to think differently about my "space". It's learning to differentiate between what I really "need" and what no longer serves a purpose it my life...then learning how to let go, which includes the exit from "my space". Then I learn about keeping my space "clean"...on a daily basis instead of the once a month plan. I am still very much in the learning stage.

Our house was pretty cluttered growing up. The living room was immaculate but the kitchen was piled very high (as I remember) and if you tried to open a closet it was like an avalanche. One of my first "cleaning" memories is of stacking phone books on a chair trying to do dishes. I must have been pretty young. My mom is 91, and it's still not her priority but it can be mine. Apparantly, the kid who was standing on phone books to do dishes wanted a cleaner and more organized space. Now I am an adult and I can learn these skills one step at a time. BTW-I'm also very good at other things, too.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back here yesterday to say, "right on"! I was just so tickled to hear you mention how your decluttered floor had such a positive effect on the kitties, especially Looloo. I forget, too, that our animals have such a different view than we do.

I'm sure you are tired, but you are moving forward in such a positive way. I hope you have a good day today and I look forward to hearing from you.

Me....we traveled over to our "pool" house last night. DH is not doing well and I'm just trying to see what we can do to help. I do have time to observe. This used to be the more organized and cleaner house. Now, after all the progress I have made forward on the East side, this house is the one that is more cluttered. DH isn't very mobile and so after we go to the pool I might just hop into some decluttering activity over here.

helping rachel 08-30-2012 09:58 AM

Good Morning --Ladies:

OneonOne: What good thought processing on what works, why it works and how to take action to give it meaning that works for you. I am glad you are sharing this process with us. Thank you for making the thread as I would be all alone in attempting to make changes to my space. I love your problem solving with your desk and supplies. You know those things are needed so asking "What will be best for accessibility and function?" is a great question. What about putting velcro around the desk and adding material to hide the boxes or bins underneath. Just a thought.....

I had a day of doing nothing yesterday. I fought with guilt for awhile since I had a down day. I woke up with a very sore throat and wasn't reacting to my meds very well. I needed to just be and finally realized that I could let myself chill. It was a gift.

Lexxiss: Glad you are having time to connect with hubby and going to your "pool" house. I love that you have your "Own my own space" glasses on when you go over there, with some thoughts of decluttering AFTER the pool. Hope you enjoy time with hubby and pool.

I realized for me, that having my home in the best shape is important to me. First to have the peaceful feeling and as silly as it sounds it has been such a joy to go to my closet and know exactly where my casual, work and funky clothes are. My Master bedroom has stayed as clean as it was 2 weeks ago. I am also glad that it is happening in such a supportive and encouraging way with this thread. Like my weight, I am not ignoring it. Even when I start the change it is ok to see things getting worse than better. It's fun to have a new vision on how things might serve me better, than me serving my things/not knowing where something is, wasting time.

I am studying how to embrace meaning and values in life. Freud has the pleasure principle focus, Adler has the power principle and Victor Frankl has the Meaning principle. Asking myself these days, what is bringing meaning and value to my life and how that ties into being resilient.

Off to clean kitchen and work at 11. Blessings on your days, ladies.

onebyone 08-30-2012 01:04 PM

And it's day#4...

Hello Decluttering Coaches

So, I was *credit* doing the walk it out workout on the wii fit as the answering machine got a call from DH's mom who is going to attempt to drive over tomorrow she says. Why tomorrow? I ask myself as DH is at work. Does she just want to visit me?
:(
Ugh I say.
Then the other part of me went "holy cow you sure read that right, getting your living area together this week. man. Now it doesn't look half as crazy as it did at the beginning of the week." BACKGROUND INFO: We moved here in April 2011. We have not invited DH's mom over yet. I said to DH this week "it's really bad we haven't done that." He seemed clueless. We've been to her place lots. I said, "we should have your mom over for a bbq this weekend or go to 1000 Hotpot (a restaurant near us) with her." So. I need to be at leace with the fact that this is the best I can do. It's far from normal but it's cleaner and more spacious and Oh well. So. She can come. I would rather keep working as my schedule for September gets busier and busier. I'm going to wait to call her back when DH gets home. I tink I'll be "out for the day".

I've discovered now that my first two weeks of October are even spoken for and get this, my ONE xmas craft show, that I just applied for, is in conflict with a trip to Miami for Art Basel Miami.

It seems that every special event that I want to go to is in conflict with a selling opportunity. I am going to Miami as it's the showcase of the art that's being made internationally right now, and it should be super-inspiring, but i can't believe it conflicts with the Toronto craft show.

Well, there's an aside. If I had made my to-do schedule for the events I have to be at I would have known that before I applied and would not have spent the $5 getting my application in. Oh well. This is on today's to-do list now. *credit*

Back later.

update#1 on my lst for today was dealing with the oversized moving box that said "craft" on the side of it. My stomach just knotted up even thinking about that box. I moved it to that space, oh, a year ago? BIG box. I went through it. Some stuff got tossed, others kept and aren't really away yet but it's ok. The box itself I was going to break down but have decided to fill it with DONATIONS! I had a smallish half-box from Costco for that so I emptied it into the giant box and that makes me feel good. I soooooo want to fill that giant box up to the brim and say byebye to it and its contents. :dancer:*credit*

I also had 5 full size permanent grocery store shopping bags to look through and 3 reg size boxes. I've done all of it. :dancer:*credit* It's not perfect, not everything is away, or in it's place, if I even know of a place for it, but I feel certain that there is a place. I have lots of poorly used drawers: 30 in fact and 5 double sized drawers, plus a dedicated Martha Stewart 16 cube shelf, the underneath of a microwave cart and a whole pantry, all available to me to store my stuff. :dancer:*credit* It's the large canvases and the rolls of paper that stump me but I think it's like how I was with a lot of this stuff: I get hung up on things that when I finally face them are *poof* nothing. I am learning to trust myself more and to see that I do have an idea of what to do with my stuff. I am not hopeless at this at all.:dancer:*credit*

A plus is I have re-discovered recent (1-2yrs) work that I can put on etsy to sell. :dancer:*credit*YAY! And I found some craft material to make these other things that I want to sell online so all is good. I turned my worktable to the side btw, so it's under the window, which I love and it's made all the difference to that space for me. If only I could take down the hanging light fixture. If it was my place it would be gone. However. I'll live with it.

I'm also now on my last load of dishes. :dancer:*credit* They will be completed tonight.

I hope all is well out there with you guys!

Oh, I did call DH's mom and his aunt and uncle are in town on the weekend and want to get together and they all want to travel up here we are to visit me at the farmers' market and to see my stuff at the Hillary House site, which is near the market and then they want to go to the tea room for tea. So, really, I should be flattered. They all support my artwork and take the time to go and see it. Nice. I invited MIL over but said maybe not wiht the gang but later on. She was very happy. She's very kind to me and not pushy at all. So :dancer:*credit* for facing things--even though I did find myself eating soup over the stove because of this. yes, it's true, but I stopped :dancer:*credit* and dealt with it head on. It was better than overeating and wrecking my foodplan. It is ALWAYS better than overeating and wrecking my foodplan. Thank goodness I get that now. :dancer:*credit* for that for sure.

Lexxiss 08-30-2012 07:40 PM

Wow! onebyone, dancing with you! :dancer: I'm so happy reading your post. I'm on my way to DH's TBI support group picnic so don't have but a moment now. I think it's just great that you're making progress, feeling good and that you felt comfortable to invite MIL...yet she might have to decline. Right on. Later....

helping rachel 08-30-2012 08:25 PM

:cb::cb::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::T Way to go OneonONe! What determination and progress. Yes, You do know what to do!!!!!

onebyone 08-31-2012 02:23 PM

slow chore day today

Decluttering Coaches, Hello!

I just *credit* finished all the dishes. It's not perfect perfect as their are cat dishes that are still dirty, but the whole cat food area needs cleaning so I consider that another, separate, chore...and so back to, I just finished all the dishes! *credit*

I haven't made a to-do list today. I think I'll still do that, but I am not really cleaning or organizing anything else today. I have to be up at 6am for the farmer's market tomorrow morning so I need to re-connect with my market stock and maybe attempt a couple of new, small paintings for the market. I want to make sure I pack the car tonight and not leave it for the morning.

I just want to make sure I leave a clean kitchen before I go to bed tonight.

Thanks for the support this week. I have a *really* good handle on this whole front room space now. I even feel like I'll be able to work in here over the winter which was really bugging me that I didn't feel that way about my space.

Must go. Have a fantastic day/evening/weekend!

Lexxiss 09-01-2012 08:42 AM

Hello!

onebyone, best wishes at the market today!

Mom and I just got back over the hill and I'm drinking my green smoothie and checking in.

I went to the T-get yesterday and got my favorite cleaning solution x3...one for each bathroom...and found some nice brushes. My new "habit" is going to be trying to keep bathrooms clean on a daily basis. I have to head to work now but am excited to come home and get started.

Happy weekend!