3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Own Your Space: A Beck Summer De-cluttering Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/261355-own-your-space-beck-summer-de-cluttering-thread.html)

onebyone 08-14-2012 04:09 PM

Lexiss really really great job tackling so many issues! I can picture painting a bathtub, especially if I was renter, cause you can just move on.

Terrible, I know, but I'd want to paint it tangerine orange or tropical sea green or something. Don't tell me they did all that damage just to make it white or beige? Did they? I *really* want to know.

Flylady really focuses you. Glad it's exactly what you need right now.

No house-work on my agenda today.
I can't face it today.
*credit* for knowing "this is not an emergency", and also knowing that I will get back to it.

helping rachel 08-14-2012 04:36 PM

OnebyOne and Lexxiss: I can't thank you enough for starting this thread and sharing your process with me. I am amazed at the hard work you both have done.

I cleaned 2 levels of the house today. No need for details but I am planning a nap by 4pm. My new project was to bring all my pants from 2 closets into one area and I am trying them on to see size and fit. I have decided if they don't fit or fit into new designated space they are going out the door. I do have 3 sizes to choose from! Yikkes:) Food and exercise is on plan. I am going farther than I ever have on the treadmill with running. I have always hated exercise because of the breathing issue. Hopefully I am changing that up.

Hope you have a great rest of the week.

Lexxiss 08-14-2012 11:12 PM

onebyone, I wish you had painted my tub....it would be a work of art. Sadly, it is off white/white and there is no rhyme nor reason as to the different colorings. Now you know...

Rachel, great that you are downsizing your pants collection. When I went through the closet several weeks ago I couldn't figure out why I had kept some of the stuff. I think that is an indication that I am changing.

Today: I did FL's project, which was washing down the bathroom door and the cupboards (I don't have many). My morning declutter was in the dining room (now our bedroom). It was trash day so I took a run through the yard and found several items that were beyond repair and just sitting around.

After work I was tired but decided to do just a little bit before dinner. The action energized me and I dealt with a hotspot, the kittys space. She has a fenced off area because the pup like to eat her food AND p**p from cat box. I figured since I had the vacuum out I would do the rest of that room and the kitchen. The space felt much better afterwards.

Very tired...goodnight. I am glad you are all here, too.

helping rachel 08-15-2012 03:02 PM

OneonOne I love how you used "this is not an emergency card". I feel the same way when I started my bedroom project. It will take weeks to get it where I want it. With my work schedule, I have big chunks of time to work on something, then I have to leave it for a few days. As long it is progression the right direction. I refused to do laundry today since I worked so hard yesterday.
Lexxiss says
Today: I did FL's project, which was washing down the bathroom door and the cupboards (I don't have many). My morning declutter was in the dining room (now our bedroom). It was trash day so I took a run through the yard and found several items that were beyond repair and just sitting around.

Thanks for sharing this. I was washing the bathroom door yesterday and said to myself "Who does this?". Then I read your post and had to chuckle. Weigh in date for the declutter diet is Tuesday around here aka asGarbage day!!!

I also went thru the garage and took a bicycle that my son ran over and is not fixable. A microwave from college that had a seen its last day. I also purged every drawer in the bathroom.

I unloaded the area, sorted like items, cleaned drawers and reloaded for a permanent home. One home for everything, like with like and if one thing comes in one goes out. Threw out perfumes that were 15 years old and purged lotions, hair products ect.

I took my son and daughter clothes shopping and didn't buy one thing. I haven't decluttered for about 5 years and I tend to keep things just to keep them. I am overjoyed with the cleaniness and space. My husband is going to be shocked when he gets home Friday as the bathroom was scrubbed, cleaned and organized. Felt good when I woke up today, wanted to hang out in there!

Off to get some work done. When Sam gets home tonight I will start the packing process with him.

helping rachel 08-15-2012 03:26 PM

Peter Walsh says:

Love what you have,
Have what you need,
and be happier with less.

Lexxiss 08-15-2012 10:30 PM

It was a busy day between work and moving forward in "owning my space". After completion, I walked in the house, looked around and thought to myself, "this is hard work but I must work at it if I want to change my outcome." Checked my emails and had this quote from FL.
"in order to change my circumstance I have to change the behavior that caused it and I can't change behavior unless I change my mind".

Rachel, I notice parallels in our day. I did quite a bit of sorting and purging myself today. I am thinking the simple act of washing down a bathroom door may create a desire to keep moving forward. What do you think?

My "office" doubles as my clothing/personal item area. Last night, I had noticed my agitation at the state of my large chest of drawers. They no longer seemed to be organized right. I decided to go through them all this morning.
I found:
~Items to pitch, mostly my "at home" painting/work clothes
~Items to donate, which will be bagged and out of the house tomorrow
~Items I wasn't sure of how the'd fit. I will try them all on before my thrift store run.
~Items to keep, which are now reorganized and much easier to find.

We've been eating vegetarian and today our local food bank was open. I used to volunteer (pre-job) and my neighbor still does. I placed all meat and cream based soups in a box and set it by my neighbor's car before I left for work. I had meat in the freezer which the guy who helped with my lawn graciously took home. credit.

The yard kid had called yesterday looking for even an hour of work. I knew I would be tired this afternoon (and was) but had him come over anyway. We have a tool corner and I started decluttering. We filled my little toyota with metal(recyclable) and rubble (left over carpet) AND the old bed frame I had hauled off the porch several weeks ago. We went to the dump and it's all gone...he took home $40 and a bunch of meat and my project is done. credit.

For some odd reason, I had cleaned my computer screens last week, so FL chore was already done for today.

I am going to bed at a reasonable hour. I do believe that I will focus in my office again tomorrow morning and get things settled again. There has been quite alot of active moving of stuff the past few days. I would like to find a stopping point for the week so I can feel the new normal, with less stuff.

PS-Rachel, thanks for the quote.

Lexxiss 08-15-2012 10:39 PM

:trampo:

Tomorrow I have to take my mom to a large eye clinic for her monthly appointment.

I just remembered:
Last month I took 10-15 magazines down and left them for "browsing". It felt good that they would have another use.

I haven't missed one of those magazines ALL month!

I was just looking at several different piles of mags today...what to do....

I'm going to go pack them up right now so I won't forget them! I'm going to send almost all of them off and see how I feel when next month comes.

If I really have to read a magazine I can stop by the library.

helping rachel 08-15-2012 10:48 PM

Lexxiss: I asked myself today what was the story my "indecision and ability to ignore" telling me......journaled on this awhile and then sunk into my new story of "Clarity and Simplicity". I think I was tuned out to these areas and tripping over stuff. I love your mantra "Owning your own space". I am a good support to my husband and my boss, but have been thinking what if I had a "Helping Rachel" in my own life. That is kind of my mindset lately on getting these chores done as I have the ability to do them, but really never had the drive.
I am glad you and onebyone are doing the same thing as it matters to me that I am changing my story with how I live. Good to share advice and adventures.

I love how you share with those around you....it is easier to let things go... what a satisfying trip to let go of those things that were not serving you. We do need help and encouragement. I might share some pictures in a few weeks after boys are off to college and things settle down. I have to admit, I am enjoying seeing less clutter and less to clean!

helping rachel 08-15-2012 10:56 PM

P.S. Reading the book by Karen Casey "Change your mind and your life will follow". Thinking outside the box for how to change things as the mind that got them that way needs a new groove. Maybe " Stella is getting a new cleaning Groove"!

Lexxiss 08-16-2012 10:30 AM

It is good to share stories and adventures. I am completely alone in this big house but today I have support and encouragement to keep going. Rachel, I do believe the "tuning out" is a very real coping mechanism...whether it be regarding our weight or the clutter in our homes. Pondering on "Clarity and Simplicity", I was able to let go of a few more emotional items this morning.

Just this morning I "noticed" how dirty my beautiful coffee maker was. It was such a $$ investment for us and it makes us beautiful coffee every day. It took me over an hour to clean it and it's now on my "hotspot" list.

As I was choring, I was having a moment of frustration. I thought, "why is this so hard?" For me, the answer is actually very clear. I've collected and purged for years and have vascillated with different levels of cleanliness (kind of similar to my ups and downs with my weight). I am a beginner here...learning to maintain my (item) losses and finding a way to manage my time so that I can walk into each room in my home and "own" it's good feeling.

This is the first day in weeks that I've had to really think some home decisions through. In my office/personal room. I'll update.

ETA-Yesterday I said I would try on 7 clothing items and save or donate. 1-keep 6-donate :carrot:

onebyone 08-16-2012 11:59 AM

omg.

Hello!

Lexxiss and helpingrachel

I think you guys are coming to some kind of profound understanding about clutter. I see mental shifts happening, post after post. I feel *honoured* to witness such events. Thank you both for continuing to share your insights--it takes effort to write it all down and press send so I want you to know I am a grateful audience.

And helpingrachel I too appreciate the quote and have made it my new avatar. It applies to weight as much as it applies to stuff. So thanks.

My own efforts are stalled, again. But, again, I have deadlines to meet. I'm all set to binge-work today, I have ideas, went out and walked to the store this morning for supplies *credit* and am getting ready to get to it. I will probably work right until I go to bed tonight but when I install my small paintings tomorro I know it will be awesome. I can *feel* it. *credit*

DH has let me know that I have permission to "order him" to help with stuff around the house. We are moving way more in sync now, working much more like the team of yore. *phew* I say. His "condition" has a silver lining to be sure! Who knew?
:shrug:

So, in terms of decluttering/clean up, I commit to cleaning up after myself today. I can start there, by not making or leaving things worse!

Bye!

helping rachel 08-16-2012 06:24 PM

OnebyOne: I don't think that when work deadlines are on the horizon, it necessarily is a "stall". Next week I am out at clients for the day and I know that I will not be able to give the focus or efforts on the house that I can do this week. The key for me is to be flexible but not to lose sight of the committed action toward the goal of have a decluttered space. Hope your day was one full of creativity and expression. I love your new Avatar!!

Lexxiss: Hope all went well with your Mother's eye appointment. I love the fact that you realized how important your coffee maker is to you and how it got upgraded to your hotspot list. I don't think I could function without morning coffee, I swear that gets me out of bed sometimes.

I love the breakdown of your clothing purge. Try on 7---only one kept. I have always wondered how much do we really need to have a functional wardrobe. . I am breaking my clothes up by use....I have to wear suits 2 days a week and then casual dress on days from home. I just want to find something when I am looking for it and take the "thought out of it"....like with like.

I like the comparison of diet/food plan to declutter plan. If I don't keep up with daily routines, I will gain back the declutter weight!

Peace, clarity and simplicity sent your way.

Lexxiss 08-16-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helping rachel (Post 4439793)
OnebyOne: I don't think that when work deadlines are on the horizon, it necessarily is a "stall".

I agree! I do, however, have one rule which helps on days when I'm not working on a house project. If an object is in my hand then it goes all the way to it's final destination.
~if I carry a pop can from upstairs I don't leave it on the kitchen counter
~if I open something with a wrapper the discard goes all the way to the trash.
I figure everytime I leave something mid stream it is doubling the work.

onebyone, when your work is finished you'll be able to binge work on your home. I'm happy to hear your DH has offered assistance for two reasons. It did take two to create it and having help is just incredible. My DH has helped lots....(advise-take it or leave it). My DH and I both have pretty strong opinions which are often different. He cleaned out his stuff I do mine but I always ask for help when it's time to load the car or the trash.

Rachel, my ''rules" regarding clothes now....
~must fit in allotted space (closet and large chest of drawers)(no boxes or bags)
~must fit or be super special in a smaller size (one I know I can eventually fit into)
My emotional saves are down to just a few
~my wedding dress (not traditional)
~my Dad's favorite Harris Tweed
~my very expensive inflatible coat for Alaska
~my Mom's 60 yr. old Navajo dress (will never fit me)
Wow! That's it, even I'm surprised.

I persisted today and hauled out a bunch. When I knew time was running short I put everything back in order. credit

Moms appt was fine....time for dinner

helping rachel 08-17-2012 08:31 AM

Rachel, my ''rules" regarding clothes now....
~must fit in allotted space (closet and large chest of drawers)(no boxes or bags)
~must fit or be super special in a smaller size (one I know I can eventually fit into)
My emotional saves are down to just a few
~my wedding dress (not traditional)
~my Dad's favorite Harris Tweed
~my very expensive inflatible coat for Alaska
~my Mom's 60 yr. old Navajo dress (will never fit me)
Wow! That's it, even I'm surprised.

I appreciate you sharing this. Your emotional saves have so much character and meaning.

I have lots to get rid of that simply are taking space, don't wear, but just haven't made a decision.

Taking the day to regroup once again. Grocery shopping and errand running this morning. Writing a presentation in afternoon. Packing to drive to 2 colleges tomorrow. House is clean and peaceful this morning.

Lexxiss 08-17-2012 10:05 AM

Rachel, yay for a clean and peaceful home this morning. Mine, too. Acknowledging, onebyone, that this has been a long process with baby steps forward....acknowledging and sending support that you can do this, too!

I slept in this morning...getting some needed rest because I work againg tomorrow for 5 days and DH will be back when I return. I was going to spend the day at home but did a regroup also.

I need to go to Denver w/mom (she has a meeting) because I have things that can get accomplished there.
~banking
~go to bead store to get help finishing a restring which has been on my desk for a month
~pick up 2 picture frames for pics which have been on my piano for 3 years (pics of my Alaska view and beach from my home there)
~library-I want to p/u "Does This Clutter make my Butt look Fat" and the other book Rachel mentioned.
~find some rubber bottoms for the chair that is scratching my office floor

Every baby step takes me forward. When I return home I'll still have to do my FL chore (baseboards in bathroom-which are a mess) and get my car unloaded at thrift store.

I know I won't feel like those two things when I get home but I'll do them anyway.