Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #1  

Default Long-term lurker chimes in

Good morning! I've been lurking here for some time and had the Beck books for a while (read several times). I think I'm ready to do this. I'm at my highest weight ever right now (180) after 3 kids in 3 years (2.5 year old and 9 month old twins).

I've been in a terrible habit the last year of eating whenever I was tired and stressed -- between that, lack of sleep, a full-time job and the kids I haven't been able to stick to healthy eating. (Excuses, I know.)

I think the biggest obstacles I have is lack of a buddy. I'm also uncomfortable telling people that I'm trying to lose weight (again) after failing so many times.

So I'm not sure exactly how to use/contribute to this group, just that I was excited to find other people who have used Beck, because she really resonates with me.

I'm on Day 3 (sitting down to eat). Does that mean you don't do anything else while eating as well? I usually eat breakfast in the car or desk and lunch at my desk, due to time.

trmmom
trmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi trmmom - Welcome to the Beck forum.

Yep, it's hard to keep the path alone - my take is that the notion of a Diet Coach (pink book) or Diet Buddy (green book) is one of Beck's best ideas. The way we do it here is that we collectively serve as on-line Diet Coaches/Buddies to each other by posting on the monthly thread. It works because none of us are available every day, someone always is - there's been a daily post on the Beck thread for over four years now.

Come over and join us on the monthly thread - we've just started the new one for February. There aren't any rules; folks post as often as they choose, and post what they choose to post about their chosen eating plan and exercise plan. We often respond to each other, but I recommend to folks starting out that they don't immediately take that on since it's kinda daunting when it seems like there are zillions of us and we have all known each other forever. When you feel moved to do so, you can start responding to one or more of those who identify themselves as also new.

Beck describes eating without TV, reading, or distractions other than talking to others at the table. Personally, I rarely achieve that - I read or catch up on some web stuff if I'm alone. Perhaps you can give it a try to concentrate on the taste of your food at least a few times.

Glad you've joined us.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote