3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/239669-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-august-2011-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

eusebius 08-12-2011 07:59 AM

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Scale stayed the same today. Well, at least it didn't go up. I am wondering if my portions are too large. This eating style doesn't advocate counting calories, and the book says that the more green vegetables you eat, the more weight you'll lose, but it does limit certain foods and suggest that you should eat only until satisfied, not full. So that aspect of it is slightly confusing.

Today I will be at the quarterfinals of the Rogers Cup which is the international tennis tournament held every year in Toronto. There were quite a few upsets this year so I think Serena Williams is the only really big star I'll see today, but I'm sure all the players will be amazing :) Bringing my food with me so I won't be tempted by all the goodies!

No time for personals today - I have to leave early - but thanks pamatga for reminding me of Dr. Beck's wise words on weight gain, and all of you who are supporting me so well. I must practice patience!! You'd think after meditating so much I'd get a clue, LOL. Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be kind to myself, too. I guess the self-abnegating cynic in me dies hard ... Anyway, I love all of you :grouphug:

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: yes
Qi Gong: no

onebyone 08-12-2011 08:57 AM

it held.

Hi Coaches

*credit* weighed in and saw .... drumroll ... (-0.4lb) = 279.1.

Yay.

Moved my ticker down, finally, and look forward to another tick down next week.

My plan to achieve another tick down includes doing a WATP workout today so I can move my exercise ticker forward.

Foodwise I am committed to eating less at each meal; choosing my food to de-emphasize carbs and avoid white carbs in particular--impossible today so I will just limit them to one meal only. No seconds. Smaller portions. Not eating until I am stuffed full but more trying to stop when I am "no longer hungry". This is a real difference and happens waaayyyyyyyy before I am stuffed. I eat fast still. I need to work on that and have been trying to by making sure I eat and drink water with my meal to break the eating part up. I am moderately successful with this. Lately I have been eating standing up. I need to stop that. but otherwise I am doing ok.

Lexxiss 08-12-2011 09:42 AM

Hi Coaches!

Lots of thoughtful activity around this neck of the woods! *credit* to all! I survived another day *sane*, except for the afternoon moment when I sat down by myself and had an unnecessary snack...off plan food, not really...too many calories...not really....just unnecessary. Solution...take a nap since everyone else was.

rubidoux, I think one of the most helpful tools for me practicing Beck Diet Solution is having the ability to PLAN any food into a day in my future. It helps me to NOT eat the donut today because I understand I can PLAN to eat it tomorrow (yet I never do). Where it really helps me is to be able to PLAN an event into my future and when I stick to that PLAN I consider myself ON PLAN. If you have a plan for the event and you stick with it...would your mindset allow you to continue on with your streak of good days?

Ok, off to visit with the family. Take care everyone!

gardenerjoy 08-12-2011 11:04 AM

Too bad the scale doesn't measure good intent. Just like it doesn't measure all the things that I don't eat any more. Oh, well.

I'm having some problems with after supper eating. So here's my plan. Nothing but watermelon after supper. The CSA box had a yellow-fleshed watermelon this week, but I have to finish last week's giant regular watermelon before I cut in to that one.

WI: +1.05 kgs, Exercise: +165 450/1300 minutes and 11/33 miles on treadmill for August, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

rubidoux: My take is that if it's planned it's not cheating. A special event plan is different from my normal plan, but it's still a plan and if I follow it than I'm doing great! And, like SuperChick said, you'll be surprised how often special event eating can become that not big a deal. I've planned for dessert, had one bite and decided that it was too sweet (or sometimes even decided just by looking that it was going to be too sweet). Other times, I've skipped dessert because I was in the mood for chocolate and if there's no chocolate, what's the point? My usual special event plan is "focus on veggies." Sometimes I get there and there are no veggies, so I don't eat anything at all and come home and have a salad. What I really try to avoid at special events is anything that might trigger overeating after the event--for me, there's a kind of lethal combination of white flour, salt, and butter that can lead to cravings for days, so I avoid flour tortillas and biscuits and other similar things.

SuperChick: This probably wouldn't work for everyone, but I can nurse a bourbon on the rocks or other hard liquor for a long time -- as long as it takes my friends to have three beers or glasses of wine. Then switch to water or soda and everyone thinks I'm this big drinker because I started off with spirits. Do you do buying rounds in Scotland like the English do? I just finished the book Watching the English and learned about that. I think that would make it a tad more difficult to keep a lid on the drinking if it was kind of assumed that everyone was going to drink at the same rate.

BillBlueEyes: LOL at not overeating at an evening meeting because there's no food. It would be great if more meetings had that surprise!

FutureFitChick: good luck with planning your visit to your mom's house! Will she be helpful, if asked?

eusebius: I'd give it some time. My body loses in fits and starts and sometimes if I just wait it out, it will start going again. And sometimes it won't, so then it's time to make a change. But if I'm finding the plan reasonable, otherwise, waiting three to six weeks isn't too long to see what's up. Often, by the end of that time, I have a better idea what I'm willing to change if a change is needed.

onebyone: yay for the ticker moves -- exercise up and weight down!

Lexxiss: heh. I didn't need to write my thoughts for rubidoux since you already did!

SuperChick 08-12-2011 11:58 AM

Joy - 'If there's no chocolate then what is the point?' Amen to that :high:

happygoal 08-12-2011 12:24 PM

Hello Team.

I am now at the chapter on finding a coach. I am starting my eating plan in a week going step by step through the book and I will be starting my eating plan after a trip where I will not be in my own kitchen.

Do you all team up for coaching? How does this work?

I am also happy to report with lots of traveling in the last week I have kept the few pounds off that I have lost since starting the Beck diet. I am also eating less in general and being kinder to myself.

I found a wonderful free yoga ap that is a nice way to get some extra exercise in and I keep reading that yoga and mindful eating are connected.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Friday.

xo

pamatga 08-12-2011 12:50 PM

GD everyone! My computer seems to be running so slow today (even though I am paying for the fastest internet speed:?:)

rubidoux Listening to you describe your food plan reminds me of Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. Have you ever checked out the list of foods you can have on that diet? There is a list posted on the South Beach Diet sub-group here (in announcements and forum of that section). I will always credit that food plan with pulling me away (once and for all) from "all things white". However, it also gives you a lot of things to eat so you can vary your food plan without going near carbs. It keeps you from eating/overeating and keeps your blood glucose levels level. I followed it from 2008-2010 and I still consider my present food plan a modified version of that original plan.
eusebius I hear you! I have been going up and down around the same numbers for weeks and this past couple of days due to an increase of exercise and really watching my calories intake, I broke it.(following Dr. Beck's advice on how to break a long term plateau) I got to change my ticker! :woohoo: It will come down, be patient. (easier said than done ;) )
alana in canada I will love eating pizza (morning, noon and night) as long as I live so my "work around" was to find a healthier version of pizza so I could eat it as often and when I want. That's my "solution". In fact, that is "my way": modify "old favorites" to make them as healthy as possible and then "enjoy". Not exactly what you expected me to say but I am being honest.
BBE My DH goes to meetings all the time and last night he came home from one and they didn't even offer him H20 and it was over 80 degrees! It bothers me more than it does him. He always comes home hungry and ended up eating a bowl of steamed broccoli followed by a Kit Kat bar :D. I am living with an abberent human being. P.S. every time I paint a room, I end up redoing almost everything. It just happens that way.
onebyone Once you get rid of all the white stuff in your house, would you consider trying wheat products? Once it is gone, that would be a good time to try it. I think you would easily find that a lot of your cravings (caused by high glycemic foods) would cease to exist. Eating foods on the lower end of the glycemic index is the key to significantly reducing physical cravings. That's science! However, it doesn't "fix" psychological emotional eating. That is what Beck is for. Great Job on working harder on moving and focusing. You are shining, girl! Just glowing!:hug:

Wow, a lot of nursing moms here. I always thought nursing burned up lots and lots of calories. So, how do you attempt to lose weight with needing to eat 200 calories more a day for the nutrients to nurse??

Stats for Day 4 of my BLC Buddy Challenge(yesterday):

*I have lost 5.6 lbs since Monday morning weigh-in--now I usually hover around 265(and Monday's was a reflection of the weekend before) so to see 262.6 lbs this morning was really nice. all this walking is doing what it is supposed to be doing: getting those stubborn pounds off! This was real weight lose not sodium. I have been trying to break 265 for several weeks! I'm so grateful I agreed to do this Challenge--I needed the kick in the butt to pull it all together.
*walked 1.5 miles (I use a pedometer for accuracy)
*did 20 minutes on treadmill doing interval walking--1.3-1.5 mph up and down.
*calories -2486 calories --35 g fiber(I hate to admit that dinner was FF popcorn and NS Klondike bars but I just didn't feel like cooking and that is saying a lot for me because I love to cook) sodium was 2154 mg. I was feeling light headed when it was around 1500 mg so I had the popcorn. (I already have low blood pressure so if it gets too low I get woozy)
*since it was NS ice cream bars most of the day (I had 5!!-yes, logged them all on my food log) my vegetables and fruits were down:
-1 c cooked broccoli and 1 cup combined water chestnuts and bean sprouts.
-1 whole apple and mixed carrots/prunes in my whole wheat muffin.
*I feel especially pleased that when I had heard some bad news :( I immediately jumped on the treadmill and walked for 10 minutes to some Groovy 60s music. Yea baby!! Major Credit on realizing that food was not the first thing that I went to.

As Dory the blue fish in "Finding Nemo" says: "No eating here tonight, cause we're on a diet. No eating here tonight....." (she has short term memory lose so she repeats herself ----a lot!) [This was her response to joining a 12 Step group of sharks......repeat after me, Fish are our friends!] :cool: It is just the cutest darn movie!! So, moral of the story: Don't eat your friends:nono: :hyper:, cause you're on a diet!! (yes, the air is thin where I live!:o)

Just finished some Thai jasmine rice (okay that is white but brown just doesn't do it when it comes to this dish) mixed with three beans medley and seasoned garlicy ground turkey!! Yum! Yum! Fresh cantalope for dessert and then hitting the floor for my exercises.

Have a good day, all.

P.S. No comments, Bill, on the blue ice cream avatar. Does anyone remember eating Blue Moon ice cream?? My all time favorite.

Pam

maryann 08-12-2011 01:00 PM

Good Morning Coaches:
I am in the middle of beginning school hurricane. Food wise it is much easier than summer. But I get tired so I let exercise slide. Credit for committing to body combat tonite.
Yesterday day was our 10th Anniversary. I realized how lucky I am to love my husband more than I did 10 years ago because I have a greater capacity to love. I am less self involved; my husband has taught me to be more trusting. I am willing to look at my flaws rather than mask everything with food. He surprised me with a diamond necklace. Quite something for my gruff little farmer.
I agree with Lexxiss and Gardenerjoy - any food can be good with a plan. I had a small Baskin and Robbins dish of ice cream last nite in celebration. I actually LEFT HALF. I woke this morning and asked, "Who is this girl?" Food weighed and measured for the day. Weight at ticker :)

Beverlyjoy 08-12-2011 02:33 PM

Hi Beckfolks... I have had seven days of food sanity... am grateful.

Today I am grateful for willingness to try yesterday. I did log everything I ate, and stay within my calorie range, did my stretches & strengthening, left a bite. did not eat standing (accept once), put my food in the tracker and more. My food took some twists and turns during the day... but, it turned out OK

Tomorrow my plant swap friends are gifting me a few hours in the gardens to dig up and thin out the plants. The selfseeders and aggressive plants have taken over. How kind they are. DH and I will have a BBQ for them too. I am grateful for their kindness. I've planned for a healthy menu.

I need to take my mom to some appointments. Gotta run.

Many of you have asked if I like the movie, The Help. Yes! It is a must see, really. A compelling story and wonderful acting. DH asked m\e if it is a 'chick flick'. I say no. It's a 'human' flick for all.

Have a healthy day.

Tazzy 08-12-2011 03:10 PM

Good Afternoon everyone and thanks again for the warm welcomes!

I had a good day yesterday and stayed OP, had a healthy lunch choice at Subway while shopping before we saw the movie. I also saw "The Help" and as Beverlyjoy said it is a great "human flick". After dinner I was pretty full (probably having popcorn at 3:30pm added to that) but I had it in my mind that I wanted dessert. I made a strawberry/rhubarb crisp the night before and there was still some left. But I got out my tracker and added up all my food for the day to realize that I was over my calorie limit by 11. Not significant but enough to say to myself you can have it tomorrow and plan it into your day. So I just had it with my lunch and enjoyed it much more and it's in the plan for the day.

BBE - you were asking how I found the Beck books and this area of the 3FC site. I was a frequent reader of the WW board and started that when they changed to the new Points Plus program. I had lost 16 pounds on the old plan and then from Dec to the end of Mar I lost and gained the same 3 pounds over and over again. I was so excited to try the new plan as I was ready for a change and by the end of Mar I was so frustrated with having over $16 a week with no results. I decided I'd try to find the old Momentum books and try that again. I had to borrow books as I had thrown my other ones away. Weird because never before had I cleaned stuff out so quickly. Well on Momentum and the point level I had to follow I felt horrible. I had been reading about calorie counting and decided to try that out.

I was checking out a lot of the other areas of 3FC and looked at the Beck Diet Solution. I found a website on Dr Judith Beck and read a little bit and thought I'd see if I could get the book from my local library. I got the book in early August and started reading and so much of the negative talk sounded like everything I was always thinking. I got to Day 8 of reading the book to discover that a previous library member thought the worksheet area was a great place to rip the pages of the chapter out of the book. Well I was shocked that anyone would consider defacing a library book like that and decided that I was quite interested in the book and started by search to buy it. I found a copy fairly close to home and now have my own.

I thought about trying to find a diet coach in my circle of family and friends but decided that joining this group would be a good choice as there is lots of valuable information and everyone is dealing with the same issues. The meetings at WW were one aspect that I really enjoyed and although the new program didn't work for me over the years they have taught me a whole lot of stuff about nutrition.

It's my last day of my stay at home vacation so I'm going to get out my bike and go for a nice ride around the neighborhood. I'm just like a little kid, I love riding my bike! Then I am going to come home and work on day 8's activity of planning my schedule. It's good timing with going back to work next week.

Have a good day!

TriMommy 08-12-2011 03:19 PM

I wanted to check in and give myself some major credit for yesterday. It was a tremendously crappy day. I got some news that was very disappointing and upsetting. I was angry, sad, frustrated, and every other negative emotion. And I didn't give in to emotional eating! That was such a huge accomplishment for me. In the past I would have definitely tried to make myself feel better with food (probably cookies or brownies or ice cream), but I worked the response cards and gave my resistance muscle a serious workout. I barely slept at all thanks to my emotions (combined with a chest cold and a baby who wanted to nurse every couple of hours), and I even managed to resist middle of the night snacking. Go me! Even though I'm still upset about what happened yesterday, I'm not making it worse by eating unplanned food emotionally.

More credit from yesterday: I stuck to my plan well, weighed in and saw a drop, read my response cards and advantages deck, went on a 12 mile bike ride with some friends (and discussed Beck with them, as they're both working it as well). As far as BDS was concerned, it was a good day. Too bad everything else about the day was so crappy!

I weighed in today for my "official" weekly weigh-in and was happy to see another drop, which brought me to 3.5 pounds down this week. Feeling great about that! Eating has been good so far. My husband is going out of town tonight, and usually I would take that opportunity to watch a chick flick and eat brownies or something. I decided to plan in a treat, so I've planned to walk with the kids to the ice cream store and get a small cone. I'll enjoy every bite and won't feel at all guilty because I've planned for it and will use moderation and control.

I hope you all have a good weekend!

Tazzy 08-12-2011 03:27 PM

Yeah TriMommy on all your credits yesterday and planning for your treat today!

missyj 08-12-2011 07:47 PM

Hello all! Well, I mentally survived the trip to Chicago this week. And I managed to stay OP for the most part. And when I slipped, I added it into my allotment for the week, so I am still ahead of the game. I am curious to see what the scale says in the morning.....:D

Big credit for me and eating out last night. I often fall into the green salad with some chicken and dressing on the side trap because it is easy. But we went to a Greek place last night and I order grilled shrimp and lots of different sides of vegetables. Need to keep reminding myself I can handle all these meals out with more than just salads!

Congrats to so many of you for downward movement on your tickers this week!! Way to go!! :carrot:

onebyone - Chicago truly is a beautiful city! Architecture, greenspace, lakefront, sports teams, wonderful museums - it has something for everyone!

Beverlyjoy
- I just finished reading The Help and am looking forward to the movie this weekend as well. Glad you enjoyed it!

pamatga
- OK, I was ROTFL in my hotel last night with the image of squirting dish soap all over the sliders in the bar! I too have resorted to the dish soap trick at home, but it has never occurred to me to try it in public!! I may have to resort to this if my work travels do not ease up!! Too funny!!:D

FutureFitChick - Greetings to you as well!

AlanainCanada - No time for the Art Institute this time in Chicago, but it is a gem! All of the museums there are impressive! BTW, I wish I had never seen a slider.....:p

Woodland
- Your post about always being OP and being kinder to yourself resonated LOUD with me!! Great words of wisdom that I am going to try hard to practice in my world!

rubidoux
- Hope you had a great time at your party tonight!

TriMommy
- Hope tomorrow is better! Big credit for working through it!!

maryann - Congratulations on your anniversary and the great present! Too sweet!

Happy weekend all!!

TriMommy 08-12-2011 09:42 PM

You all inspired me to use the dish soap trick today! A friend dropped off a bag of homemade cookies (my absolute weakness, and obviously not planned for). I decided right away that I wasn't going to eat even one, but I also didn't want the temptation lying around, so I let my kids eat a few, then smushed them into oblivion. Then I put in some squirts of dish soap for good measure and threw it all in the trash! It felt awesome! In the past I never would have been able to resist homemade cookies. Credit to me!!

BillBlueEyes 08-13-2011 06:15 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Left most of my brown rice at the Japanese restaurant, CREDIT moi. Exercise was walking there, LOL.

It's sales tax free weekend in Massachusetts, so we set out to buy the new appliances yesterday. I hate shopping. Refrigerators are now deep instead of wide so that they stick out from the counter by a foot. Gas stoves come with a NASA-looking control panel on top with the oven-cleaning button right next to the oven-light button - yucky engineering. Have I ever mentioned that I hate shopping?

onebyone - Thought you'd still be here. Yep, all the strategies build together: eating sitting down, stopping when satisfied instead of stuffed, eating slowly. Yay for continuing to wrestle them into your daily life.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waiting to hear how that yellow-fleshed watermelon tastes; seems a crime against nature that a watermelon isn't red, LOL. "+165" is a lot of exercise!!! Kudos.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for green veggies.

Beverlyjoy – Know about those selfseeders - reminds me why plants are so successful on the planet.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for naps. I recognize that "just unnecessary."

FutureFitChick – Good luck at your mom's house.

maryann - Happy Tenth Anniversary. Kudos to your DH for remembering. Double Kudos for remembering with such style.

pamatga - Kudos for heading to the treadmill rather than food when confronted with bad news. LOL at "Don't eat your friends , cause you're on a diet!!" [Hard not to notice your blue ice cream avatar - right here on a thread about healthy eating, LOL.]

missyj - Big Kudos for expanding your choice of restaurants where you feel in control to include Greek -"with more than salads."

happygoal - Kudos for keeping on track with lots of travel. On the Beck Thread, we all serve as each other's Diet Buddy/Diet Coach. Your comments are coaching to us; ours to you.

TriMommy - Ouch for the disappointing news, but Kudos for recognizing that food doesn't fix "angry, sad, frustrated." I love watching small kids go after ice cream. And Kudos for doing the soap trick on homemade cookies. I'm currently wary of cookies.

Tazzy - Kudos for working your food tracking to decide against the strawberry/rhubarb crisp. Extra Kudos for planning it for tomorrow. It's great to see desired food carefully planned into a day's agenda.

Awful story of finding a library book with a section ripped out. I hate that. But I'm glad it led you to getting your own copy. When I started, I kept my own copy at home and a library copy at the office until I had to return it.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
It helps you in several other ways, too:
what to do . . .
Here's what to do:
. . .
Make time. Figure out when you are going to eat each meal and snack, and rearrange your schedule, if necessary. You may need to wake up earlier so you can slowly eat breakfast at home or run errands after work instead of during your lunch break.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 63.